Mud in My Blood Forum banner

2009 Mud Nationals

9K views 61 replies 22 participants last post by  Yesterday 
#1 ·
So. A friend and I are debating making the trip down to Mud Nationals. We've never been before and have no clue whatsoever what to expect. I'm looking for first hand info from you folks. Me nogusto highlifter sitioweb. So, i figured i'd ask here. Is it worth it? Is there much riding to do other than the competitions? Is this something i'd have fun at even if i didnt compete in any of the stuff? Is there way to many people everywhere? Where to stay if not camping? Worth my time, in general? Are any of you going? etc..
Thanks.

#2 ·
I have been the last three years and I am going again this year. There is alot of riding that you can do,besides the competition. It seems like every trail leads to another trail and so on. We camp out and have never had a problem. There are some hotels not too terribly far away but we just camp out. If you have never been you will want to go atleast once. My wife and son went last year and they are going again this year. It does get a little crowded closer to the weekend when its competition time but noone seems to mind. Everybody seems to be friendly and gets along well. Alot of excitement that goes on. We are leaving on Sunday or Monday can't decide right now.

#3 ·
I dissagree %100 on the riding. Unless you get there early in the week, dont plan on "riding" plan on "sitting". B/c thats about all you get to do. By Thursday afternoon traffic will be so bad you wont be able to hardley get around. And on friday... same thing. Especially at night. I'm talking mile long lines on the highline and 3-4 hour waits just to get down the road. And this was when I was there w/ 8-10K people, not the near 13K-15K of last year and this year. So you can imagine how much worse it is w/ a few extra 1000 people.

NOW, having said that, I'm not knocking the event in anyway, its an excellent event, and if you go to see the competitions and the vendors and camp and meet people and have fun, then you will have an excellent time. I always did. But do not go and expect to be able to really ride, and have a good time. Most people there, the riding is sip... move 5ft. sip sip sip.. move 5 feet.... wait 30min for someone to move out of the way... sip some more... Now you can haul off in the swamp and ride and chances are there wont be as many people on those trails, however there are some nasty and deep holes out there that can swallow you alive if your not careful. Never a good idea to just venture off through the wilderness at Mud Creek, atleast not w/o the proper precautions.

So I guess to sum it up, again, if you go more to see the vendors and the competitions and meet people and have fun, you will love it. If you go to ride. Well, call me when you get home so I can tell you I told you so.

*edit* I will say this, if you dont care about seeing the competitions, riding during the competitions is a really good time to ride. Since %90+ of the population in the park will be at the competitions and not on the trails ;)

#4 ·
I agree with you both. Riding after thursday hang it up. We usually go early in the week so we pretty much have the park to ourselves, thats awesome!! Once the big crowd gets there I try too avoid the high line.

Personally, I enjoy the Mud Nats until Friday

#5 ·
haha... agreed. We went early on wed. the first year, 06 I guess it was. We rode wed. afternoon and all day on thurdays w/o much problem. However there were only 8K people there that year total. 07 wasnt as much fun for riding. Too many people. I just rode a little and hung around and watched all the festivities.

#8 ·
yeah you should go, just dont go expecting to get to ride a bunch.. haha. take the camera, the camping stuff, plenty of beverages, and enjoy the festivities.

#9 ·
I went in 2006, that was my one time 'been there done that' I don't even want to think about not only the lines on the trails but the 8000 people and 3 public showers. After attempting that highline trust me you need a shower before crawling in your tent! Like Polaris 425 said pack plenty of chilled beverages and a whole lot of patience.

#11 ·
No I don't think we've met, back then I was still riding my Honda Foreman.

#12 ·
Glad you finally came to your senses :)

#15 ·
Most of us Texas boys do mention it in almost everything we do..:yup:

#18 ·
You can take exactly what Polaris425 said to the bank. He hit the nail on the head. I've been to all but the very first one. By the weekend it's a 3 to 4 hour wait sitting in line just to get into the trails. Mud creek is an excellent place to ride but not during Nats. As mad as I got last year in the miles long traffic jam on the powerline I swore to myself I'd never go again. I'll be leaving wednesday afternoon headed to Jacksonville. LOL

#19 ·
what happens when you have to "make bears" while stuck in a 4 hour line?

#21 ·
HA! That will work unless you have on waders..... Dont want to leave a "bear" down in ur wader boot............ :thinking: :eek:

#22 ·
huh. I make bears too much. :(

#36 ·

For those who have never been to Nats before, here's what ya have to look forward to. I think we were stuck here for about 3 hours. For those that have been before, you should be familiar with this. LOL

That's nuts!!

Might have to take a long azz road trip soon.....lol

#27 ·
Too Many people not enough Room. They need to pick some place like Coal Creek OHV "Windrock" 72,000 acres. Plenty of room. over 200 miles of trails.

#30 ·
Well I'm going. My first time to actually have the time off work to make it. We're convoying down there wed afternoon with a bunch of rvs, travel trailers and around 35atvs. I look forward to the party! And I'll be looking for the back way to the sandpit. Screw sitting in that line for 3hours.;)

#38 ·
hmm... try 15,000 people in 3500 acres and 13,000 of them will be sittin on the HighLine yelling at the Triangle Girls to 1. get out of the **** way, 2. turn down there music & 3. turn off the bright annoying strobes. :rockn: Muds nats in a nutshell for you ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.