MudInMyBlood Forums
Go Back   MudInMyBlood Forums > Brand Basics > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Trail Rider

Righteous is on a distinguished road
Brute Force 750 Front Dif

I thought I broke my front axle on our last ride out. Took the axle out and it looks good. I turned my attention to the dif and put a stock axle in to see if there was a difference. What I found was in low the axle spins but can be held by hand and stop the rotation. In reverse though the axle spins solidly and works great without stopping due to pressure..

I am planning a tear down and rebuild, but figured I would get your guys insight. thanks,
Reply With Quote Go to top
Old 02-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #2

NMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of light
Without the diff-loc on, it should be able to stop the rotation in either direction on one or either tire. That's why they call it a Differencial. With the two axles locked..with the packs squeezed together, you shouldn't...obviously. Something does sound wrong but I guess you will find it when she comes apart. The pack-Cage (as I call it) is probably broken.

EZ-Steer EPS | Elka Stage-3s | 26" Grim Reapers on 14" SS112s | Dynatek CDI | Twin Air Filter | TPI Adjustable Airbox Valves | YFZ Catch Can Mod | Perma-Cool Oil Cooler | Diamond "G" Tie Rods w/Moose Ends | EPI Pink Primary W/ Almond Secondary | PowerMadd Handguards & Mirrors | Energy Swaybar Bushings | OMI Stem Bushing | 2013 a-arms & bushings | 2012 Seat | Ricochet Armor | HL Front Bumper | Direction2 Overfenders | Moose Dual Gasser Throttle

Old 04-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Trail Rider

It turns out the spider gears chipped some teeth. Took it out and replaced it. Put it back in and now I have another issue. The right tire now feels stuck. It is difficult to turn in either direction in 4wd and 2wd. When in 4wd it will rotate under heavy acceleration but not light.

The only difference is the dif lock is not attached, as the cable was frayed and I need to replace. I didin't think it would have that big of an effect.

The left tire spins freely and locks in 4wd. While on jack stands and in 4wd 3 tires spin under low acceleration and the right tire doesn't.

I am afraid I have to tear down again.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Experienced Mudder

mossyoak54 is on a distinguished road
Is it locked as in jack it up and it will not free spin? Sounds like something may not have been put back together right. There is not much room for error or tolerances. I learned it the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2'' lift
Rad relocate
MIMB snorkels
01 Dodge ram 1500360 4x48" lift35" (SOLD)
01 dodge ram 2500 4x4 Cummins
02 mean streak
Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Account Disabled

filthyredneck is a jewel in the roughfilthyredneck is a jewel in the roughfilthyredneck is a jewel in the rough
It's not directly related to the cable....you have issues elsewhere, I say this because the cable isn't hooked up to mine either since it's what busted my diff the first time....and not under heavy throttle either, just slow turning the 31s and it pop'd. Sounds like you may not have stacked something back together in the right order possibly?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Trail Rider

The dif that went in was a spare and turned freely with no chatter on my bench.

If I manually pull the dif lock up the right tire does spin under throttle with no noise. Releasing throttle the right tire stops almost immediately.

Tonight I am going to pull the tire and caliper and see if the issue is still apparent. Then work my way back to the dif.