MudInMyBlood Forums
Go Back   MudInMyBlood Forums > Brand Basics > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #1

rstuder is on a distinguished road
Rear shock adjustment

Ok ive tried the search option and i just am not smart enough to use that tool good lol. sorry if this has been covered but i gotta ask. Ive definately realized this is the website to be on if you own a atv. Anyway i have a 06 Brute Force 650 SRA. Im wanting to stiffen up the rear spring using the adjustments. I cant for the life of me get the adjusters on top to budge with a srewdriver and hammer and PB. So im gonna take it off to do it but heres my question. Im worried when i jack up the back and take the two bolts off holding the shock in that it will come out and i wont be able to get it back in without a spring compressor. im not changing the spring just adjusting it to stiffen it, will i need a spring compressor to put the shock and spring back in or will it just go back in.
Reply With Quote Go to top
Old 10-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
Gettin Muddy

narfbrain is on a distinguished road
no spring compressor needed it will go back together like a dream.....however you shouldnt really have to pull the shocks to do it......did mine with a solid punch while doing a belt worked great

2006 bruteforce 750 27'' xtrs, factory steel rims w/1'' wheel spacers, maroon primary, red secondary, returned to stock weights from epi, HL 3GX belt, k and n filter, moose module, full muzzy, SBS brakes, pivot works bearings (coming soon TRUE 3" intake snorkel, custom MIMB rad relocate, 28" terms)
Old 10-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #3

NMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of light
Don't the SRAs adjust their single shock like the IRSs? Its just the stepped preload right? If so jack it up by the back of the skid plate so the swingarm is fully extended to get the load off then either use the tool or a large pair of channellocls to turn it. Might be stuck a little so just work it back and forth a bit to get it started

EZ-Steer EPS | Elka Stage-3s | 26" Grim Reapers on 14" SS112s | Dynatek CDI | Twin Air Filter | TPI Adjustable Airbox Valves | YFZ Catch Can Mod | Perma-Cool Oil Cooler | Diamond "G" Tie Rods w/Moose Ends | EPI Pink Primary W/ Almond Secondary | PowerMadd Handguards & Mirrors | Energy Swaybar Bushings | OMI Stem Bushing | 2013 a-arms & bushings | 2012 Seat | Ricochet Armor | HL Front Bumper | Direction2 Overfenders | Moose Dual Gasser Throttle

Old 10-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Gettin Muddy

jakedogg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkawierider View Post
Don't the SRAs adjust their single shock like the IRSs? Its just the stepped preload right? If so jack it up by the back of the skid plate so the swingarm is fully extended to get the load off then either use the tool or a large pair of channellocls to turn it. Might be stuck a little so just work it back and forth a bit to get it started
The sra shock adjuster is a coil-over type. The IRS shocks are a piece of cake compared to the sra.

I found it easiest to jack up under the engine, and use the tool provided.

If you decide to take it off, the hardest part is getting the top bolt back in.

25 Gators on MSA Torks
Dyna CDI
Custom Skids & Bumper
Water Temp Gauge
HMF
Old 10-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #5

rstuder is on a distinguished road
thanks guys i definately cant get it to budge on the bike ill repost when i get her done