43K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  NMKawierider 
#1 ·
my 750 brute has a knocking noise
i took off cover where belt is located
and im hearing the knocking noise coming
from the clutch area
any help please

#2 ·
I hope for your case its not the same thing that happened to mine when it sounded like that.

The guys here are great and should be able to help you trouble shoot your noise it could be the clutch itself or the bottom end like mine was, just hope for the clutch to be the culpret its a MUCH cheaper fix

#5 ·
hey jmeier1981 did you end up getting your machine fixed at the dealer? if so how much?

#3 · (Edited)
What year is your brute chine?
How long have you owned it?
Did the noise just start or have you been hearing it for awhile?
Does it do it in gear or neutral....or both?
Have you slipped the belt recently?
Has it every been sunk in water?

The clutches are noisy on these Vtwins even when there new but you may have something else going on. Give us a little more info on what you got and what its doing.

#4 ·
I've heard this noise twice on mine before, it was crank bearings both times. The second time i got smart and drained my oil and removed the filter to check for those little brass filings in the oil (the ones that come from the bearings when there all ground up). This is something i would definitely check first, its cheap and it'll tell you the one thing that you really don't want to know. Hope its something different for your sake.

#7 ·
I think mine is starting to knock too! Crap

#9 ·
haha it started that crap on the last day of the ride. i had let the oil get low from wheels in the air. when i drained the oil it was sludge. not water but oil sludge. :(
i flushed it out with diesel and then flushed oil thru 2 more times.
final fill was 20-50 mobile 1 vtwin with some lucas additive. it's barely quiter.

#11 ·
yep. i thought of that. stop running it now.
but then i said screw it.
i'll end up with new pistons, cam, oil pump to be on safe side, chains, crank, bearings seals and gaskets.

#12 ·
Yeah 2shoes is starting to make a noise as well. He let his run low of oil too. I checked the oil for him before the MIMB ride and it did not even touch the stick :eek:

Not sure how long he run it like this. Its not making a lot of noise but when you compare it side by side with mine you can hear it. Also has a slight hint of smoke every now and then.

#22 · (Edited)
Where would it be located on a carbed model? Ive never noticed one myself but I havent really looked either.

So the only real preventitive thing you can do to avoid this problem is shut off the fuel and keep an eye on the oil. So is there a design flaw in the kawai v-twin cause this has come up a lot lately, atleast a lot more than I think it should specially on something as new as Phree's bike. I guess Ive just never heard of anyone I know having this kind of problem ever with other brands or models. I guess what Im saying is I cant afford to do a complete rebuild every year or two and if this is what I have to look forward to then maybe I need to get it goin and send it down the road. Its just hard for me to see how this kinda thing happens so often when Ive got buddies with Rincons that have done absolutely nothing as far as maintenance and beat the tar out of them for 3 or 4 yrs and havent had a single problem. Ive got another buddy that has a 2000 sportsman that has been very hard on it every since the day he got it off the showroom and aside from belts tires and the oem clutch hasnt ever been broke down or had any kind of problem show up yet. I mean these guys are VERY hard on things I could never make someone realize how much abuse these guys put on there machines with virtually no repair or maintenance costs.

#23 ·
It will be on the right hand side of the quad when seated should be right under your leg. It(main bearings) is not a problem when maintained properly,I have over 1400 miles on mine and have not had a prob. but I change my oil every 10-15 hours or if i smell gas in the oil . also all your buddies you ride with have quads that are to weak to break anything. :haha:

#24 ·
Yeah thats been my arguement but if I have to hear "shoulda bought a honda" one more time I might beat one of them to death. I do have to give credit where credit is deserved though these guys both have 680rincons and 400ex's and after what theyve put them through I sometimes think theyre bulletproof. The 400s have been hydrolocked or exhaust swamped so many times its amazing they still run cause they just pull the plugs drain them out and away they go and they run like there brand new even though theyve been treated like that for 3+yrs. And unfortuneatly the 680s are heavily modded and will run right along side me till about 65mph then thats all theyve got.

Im not trying to bash my Brute cause when it was up and going I loved it, but Im not rich and dont wanna go down this road again if I can avoid it. So I guess when I find someplace to rebuild it Ill just have to make sure to keep the gas off and the oil full and fresh

What is comsidered high miles for a brute? I only had mine for a month but still put 200miles on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.