What to do with my brute force 750? - MudInMyBlood Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

What to do with my brute force 750?

So i just bought a 2006 brute force 750. It came with skidplates nice wheels and tires 840 big bore kit etc. when i got it about a week ago i did not notice the valves ticking when i test rode it. I just came back from the local quad shop and their kawi guy told me it sounds like more than a valve lash deal and the last rebuild on a 750 he did was like 4000$!!!! Omg! I only gave 3000 for the quad and i thought that was a fair deal. He said he would check the valves and chain to let me know what all it really is. My question is should i keep it, try to sell it for my money back or pay to have it fixed or try to fix it myself??? Man these motors look complicated too with all the chains, cams, etc. Please give me some advise I am new here and just downloaded the manual for it. I really hope i can get it going on the cheap. Im almost afraid to ride it in the meantime in case it jumps time and blows up. Help please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Professional Mudder

That tapping could be the valve lash set too loose - check valve lash with feeler gauges , or cam chain or chains stretched - pull cam chain tensioners to check how far out the tensioners are, could be chain guides are worn, could be the primary clutch weights are worn making a similar noise to tapping valves. There are a lot of posts on this site and you tube on how to check all this stuff, and the service manual as well - it is not too hard if you have some engine background, tools, and can follow directions well.

05 750,Stock Engine,Muzzy Pro Exhaust, Uni Air Filter,
14" Vision Bruiser wheels, 26" Kenda Bear Claw HTR,
3" PVC Intake w/restriction - 2" ABS CVT, center snorkels,Carbs Keihin-#40 pilots 2 1/2 turns out A/F ,#158/#158 mains w/30 thous. washers under stock NFKL needles, 2012 front suspension,
Mr. Gasket 42s Fuel Pump Mod
10" Hayden s-type Electric Rad Fan Mod - mod fan mount
Aftermarket ebay radiator
post #3 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Professional Mudder

And yes, and rebuilt stock engine with old engine as a core charge is about 2500.00 USD.

05 750,Stock Engine,Muzzy Pro Exhaust, Uni Air Filter,
14" Vision Bruiser wheels, 26" Kenda Bear Claw HTR,
3" PVC Intake w/restriction - 2" ABS CVT, center snorkels,Carbs Keihin-#40 pilots 2 1/2 turns out A/F ,#158/#158 mains w/30 thous. washers under stock NFKL needles, 2012 front suspension,
Mr. Gasket 42s Fuel Pump Mod
10" Hayden s-type Electric Rad Fan Mod - mod fan mount
Aftermarket ebay radiator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-05-2017, 06:31 PM

Well I sure wouldn't have that guy rebuild it. Like Dman says, between 24-2700....and I'll bet if you talk to nFlow, they would rebuild yours with the BBK for that or less. No matter what he says unless it's just chains, tappets or even the clutch shoes, get it home, get the manual and do some testing yourself..and call nFlow. It will be right and have a warranty. Once it's right it will last you forever if taken care of...hell Dman and I basically have the same machine and have had them for...well feels like forever.

06 BF 750 (Silver)
EZ-Steer EPS | Elka Stage-3s | 26" Grim Reapers on 14" SS112s | Dynatek CDI | Twin Air Filter | TPI Adjustable Airbox Valves | YFZ Catch Can Mod | Perma-Cool Oil Cooler | Diamond "G" Tie Rods w/Moose Ends | EPI Pink Primary W/ Almond Secondary | PowerMadd Handguards & Mirrors | Energy Swaybar Bushings | OMI Stem Bushing | 2013 a-arms & bushings | 2012 Seat | Ricochet Armor | HL Front Bumper | Direction2 Overfenders | Moose Dual Gasser Throttle

15 ZForce 800

post #5 of 20 Old 04-06-2017, 07:25 AM
Forum Admin.

Definitely do some shopping around if you need to have work done. For $4000 you could go buy another whole bike and have two.

MIMB - The REAL "Brute Central"

www.MudInMyBlood.com We Have a Thread for That...
post #6 of 20 Old 04-06-2017, 07:25 AM
Sponsor

shotgunred5050, we can completely reman the brute force 750 for $2,795 with Free Shipping both ways in lower 48 states. Give us a call at 812-402-8282 and ask for C.W. He can go through the details with you. Thank you NMKawierider for recommending us!

Visit our website at: www.nflowmotorsports.com
or
Like us on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/NFLOW/237263726448384
post #7 of 20 Old 04-06-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Tomorrow I plan to pull the tensioners and inspect them. What should I look for on the tensioners. Also I will set the valve lash and I already have downloaded and printed the manual from here. I heard the valve lash needs a little more than factory specs since its a big bore?? Thats what the mechanic said that looked at it for me.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-06-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Im also going to try and make a parts list so i can order all this stuff. Also a special tools list. I have basic stuff but looks like i may need a flywheel puller etc.. Can i use a rental puller from oreillys or autozone or is it a specific puller tool? Any suggestions on parts and tools lists??
post #9 of 20 Old 04-06-2017, 06:30 PM

On the tensioners look for them to be past 3/4 way extended..remember to remove and install as per the manual. On the special tools, yes you will need the Kawasaki pullers.

06 BF 750 (Silver)
EZ-Steer EPS | Elka Stage-3s | 26" Grim Reapers on 14" SS112s | Dynatek CDI | Twin Air Filter | TPI Adjustable Airbox Valves | YFZ Catch Can Mod | Perma-Cool Oil Cooler | Diamond "G" Tie Rods w/Moose Ends | EPI Pink Primary W/ Almond Secondary | PowerMadd Handguards & Mirrors | Energy Swaybar Bushings | OMI Stem Bushing | 2013 a-arms & bushings | 2012 Seat | Ricochet Armor | HL Front Bumper | Direction2 Overfenders | Moose Dual Gasser Throttle

15 ZForce 800

post #10 of 20 Old 04-08-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

The tensioners are all the way out. I think I smell a stretched set if chains?
post #11 of 20 Old 04-08-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred5050 View Post
The tensioners are all the way out. I think I smell a stretched set if chains?
So at the least you need chains and tensioner bars. Now you did take the spring and rod out first before taking the body out...right? If not the spring would have pushed the tensioner all the way out as you removed it...and by the way...you have to reset them all the way in before reinstalling...just in case you didn't know.

06 BF 750 (Silver)

15 ZForce 800

post #12 of 20 Old 04-09-2017, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

I did remove the center first which included the spring and pin. Then i removed two smaller bolts and pulled out the tensioner. Its all the way out not one click left. Has anyone lengthened their tensioner to get a few more miles out of their chain? Also if the cam chains are loose do you think the other chains are shot too? So far the one way starter clutch on my old raptor 660 is the most in depth motor work ive been into. With that in mind do you all think i have the skills and patience needed to fix the brute???
post #13 of 20 Old 04-09-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I did remove the center first which included the spring and pin. Then i removed two smaller bolts and pulled out the tensioner. Its all the way out not one click left. Has anyone lengthened their tensioner to get a few more miles out of their chain? Also if the cam chains are loose do you think the other chains are shot too? So far the one way starter clutch on my old raptor 660 is the most in depth motor work ive been into. With that in mind do you all think i have the skills and patience needed to fix the brute???
There's no extending it as far as I know...and even if so, you wouldn't want to. If the cam chains are that bad I would expect the others to be as bad so plan on all of them. I can't tell you if you have the skill-set or tools to do this, all I can say is with the manual many people have who haven't done it before.

06 BF 750 (Silver)

15 ZForce 800

post #14 of 20 Old 04-10-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Ok I am full in on the tear down now. All plastics off, disconnected exhaust etc on getting the engine off the bike. I plan on putting it on a clean bench and going through it with my neighbor who is a local mechanic. He used to work on motorcycles and when I asked him if i should sell it or fix it he did not stutter and he said well fix it right. So My question is where can I order parts from to find the best deal and most selection. Also I know the engine has a 840 bbk on it just don't know which brand and or if that makes a difference in which brand gaskets to put back on it. Also while i'm in the motor what else do I need to inspect/replace?? Ive heard they want to get hot with the bbk and I have two radiators and a stock fan on a switch. Do you think the cooling system will keep it from getting hot? Any suggestions on oils, filters, coolant? Hopefully in a couple more days ill have everything opened up where I can make a complete parts list and get to ordering in the new goods!!! Cant wait to fix this sucker!! Any and all advise is VERY welcome since this is my first go on a brute!
post #15 of 20 Old 04-10-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Ok I am full in on the tear down now. All plastics off, disconnected exhaust etc on getting the engine off the bike. I plan on putting it on a clean bench and going through it with my neighbor who is a local mechanic. He used to work on motorcycles and when I asked him if i should sell it or fix it he did not stutter and he said well fix it right. So My question is where can I order parts from to find the best deal and most selection. Also I know the engine has a 840 bbk on it just don't know which brand and or if that makes a difference in which brand gaskets to put back on it. Also while i'm in the motor what else do I need to inspect/replace?? Ive heard they want to get hot with the bbk and I have two radiators and a stock fan on a switch. Do you think the cooling system will keep it from getting hot? Any suggestions on oils, filters, coolant? Hopefully in a couple more days ill have everything opened up where I can make a complete parts list and get to ordering in the new goods!!! Cant wait to fix this sucker!! Any and all advise is VERY welcome since this is my first go on a brute!
As for the BBK, the only thing that may be different is the head gaskets but you will need to know who's kit it was. It may well not though. Parts- I get all my stuff from cheapcycleparts.com but there are lots of other parts houses to check lit like Kawiepartsnation.com, Collagebikeshop.com...and many others. What to look for inside- all chains and tensioner bars, check the rod bearings and crank, check the thrust bearing and the other main bearing, valve guides, cam lobes, water and oil pumps and oil pressure relief, take a close look ate the starter drive gears, shifter barrel and forks.

Cooling- If it's running right the stock radiator will keep up with it...just barely though.

06 BF 750 (Silver)

15 ZForce 800