Mud in My Blood Forum banner

NEW VDI copperhead, trouble with error codes..

15K views 63 replies 11 participants last post by  brute for mud 
#1 ·
my bike is running funny at mid throttle and throwing a throttle position sensor code.

i was wondering if anyone else has gotten this and how they fixed it?
do i need to adjust my TPS sensor?

and how do you reset the error codes?

#2 ·
if your TPS has gone bad already, it wouldnt be the first 2008 brute to happen.
have you put in the stock CDI to make sure the bike runs properly stock?

#3 ·
welcome to the world of VDI...Hope its easier to get correct that the KQ's are.

#4 ·
im going to put the stock back in right now...

stay tuned i guess

#5 ·
have you tried this?

Due to variances between factory setups on the Kawasaki engines, the machine may exhibit high idle, stalling when stopping, poor hole shot performance and hard starting. Following this procedure will force the ECU to determine the optimum value for the machine it is installed on.

To calibrate and use the optimum value:
1) Start with the key off. Put the toggle switch to position #1. Put the transmission in neutral.
2) Connect the orange tether input to a 12V source. Turn on the key, and once the ECU detects it connected for one second, it will turn on the status light, and start pulsing out a L-L-L-L (L = 1 second flash) error code to indicate it is waiting to/calibrating the step value. You can now disconnect the orange wire.
3) Start the engine.
4) The ECU will idle the engine until it reaches operating temperature (still flashing the L-L-L-L code). Once the engine is warmed up, the ECU will idle the engine down, and save the optimum value. The engine will then return to normal idle, and the status light will flash continuously at 1/4 second intervals to indicate it is done.
5) Next time the key is turned on, it will use this new value instead of the value stored in the "idle step" location of the map.

To clear the optimum value, and default back to the map value (only required should you not find the optimum value good):
1) Start with the key off. Put the toggle switch to position #1. Put the transmission in neutral.
2) Connect the orange tether input to a 12V source. Turn on the key, and once the ECU detects it connected for one second, it will turn on the status light, and start pulsing out a L-L-L-L (L = 1 second flash) error code to indicate it is waiting to/calibrating the step value. You can now disconnect the orange wire.
3) Turn off the key.
4) Next time the key is turned on; it will use the value from the map.

#6 ·
yes sir,
thats what i thought the problem was. i did this first before i even rode it.
then the FI light started flashing the next day but i didnt pay attention to it since i was plowing snow and almost done. today i went to re-calibrate it then the error code started flashing the TPS code. so i tried the calibration again and had them even send another MAP since it seemed to run lean at mid throttle. tried that MAP and nothing. still runs lean at MID throttle. it always did ever since the VDI was installed.
im going out right now to try the stock ECU.

#7 ·
good deal. i was reading that the copper head vdi needs the tps to be spot on accurate - something like 1% accuracy but the stock one allows 1-3% accuracy error.. something like that anyway. other bikes have procedures to calibrate the tps in specific diag modes on the bike. we dont have that. ours needs a special connector tool.
if it runs good with stock ecu then this might be the case?

#8 · (Edited)
just come inside from the test.
flooded out with VDI, i had to put in the stock ECU and warm it up. the bike ran great with the stock ECU in it, FI flashing stopped instantly. got it warmed up and switched back to the VDI. then it gave me the "engine will not start due to questionable DATA" error , ran the same (spitting and MID throttle and lean) the the FI started blinking sparatically, quit, then blink funny again.

i found the thread on the TPS sensor...

http://www.mudinmyblood.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3020

im going to wait until daytime again to see if i get the wierd FI flashing issues, BTW, i assume i can use the FI flashing as the erroe indicator also?

#9 ·
just come inside from the test.
flooded out with VDI, i had to put in the stock ECU and warm it up. the bike ran great with the stock ECU in it, FI flashing stopped instantly. got it warmed up and switched back to the VDI. then it gave me the "engine will not start due to questionable DATA" error , ran the same (spitting and MID throttle and lean) the the FI started blinking sparatically, quit, then blink funny again.

i found the thread on the TPS sensor...

http://www.mudinmyblood.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3020

im going to wait until daytime again to see if i get the wierd FI flashing issues, BTW, i assume i can use the FI flashing as the erroe indicator also?
If you flooded it with the VDI, then all u need to do is crank it with the throttle wide open,this shuts off the fuel and feeds air through the cylinders. This will happen if you turn the key on and off while trying to start it,as each time the key is turned on a new prime pulse is injected.
*Once the VDI is installed you need to go by any codes on the VDI NOT the FI light. Couple Q's for ya....
-Where are u getting the TPS code from? the VDI light or the FI light on the cluster?
- When at idle does the FI light flash erratically?
- Also does it go away when you bring the rpm's up? or when riding?

The VDI doesn't use the TPS sensor and if you look at your map you will see that there will be a number like 25-26 in the TPS column, the VDI uses this column for your tire size instead.

#10 ·
So is this a common theme with the VDIs and the Kawis? Are most other people having issues? I'm itching to buy one with the full muzzy, just wondering what I would be getting into.

You dont mind me asking how much you pay?

#11 · (Edited)
i tried to un-flood it by pressing the throttle all the way in. just wouldnt do it. i bet it got worse because i did turn the key off and on a few times trying to start it.
first i was going by the VDI status light. but it didnt throw the code until i tried to RE-calibrate the VDI, first it did the L-L-L-L AFTER i started it, then it gave me the TPS error code...i went inside to grab the manual to see what code it was and when i came out it was flashing the 1/4 showing it was calibrated. ever since i installed it ive had the MID throttle issues, even when he sent a new MAP with the mid range rinchened up.

the FI light was flashing eratically when idling and i think slow acceleratino but when i got on it it went away and when i was slowing down.

So is this a common theme with the VDIs and the Kawis? Are most other people having issues? I'm itching to buy one with the full muzzy, just wondering what I would be getting into.

You dont mind me asking how much you pay?
the power increase is VERY impressive, i think once i get these little bugs worked out its gonna be a ripper!

here is the site:
http://www.beanstreamcarts.com/stor...DTc-eVwUpH1ZbvXKXklzdNNZVFyofas2c7Z4epeTm5PgA

#13 ·
i tried to un-flood it by pressing the throttle all the way in. just wouldnt do it. i bet it got worse because i did turn the key off and on a few times trying to start it.
first i was going by the VDI status light. but it didnt throw the code until i tried to RE-calibrate the VDI, first it did the L-L-L-L AFTER i started it, then it gave me the TPS error code...i went inside to grab the manual to see what code it was and when i came out it was flashing the 1/4 showing it was calibrated. ever since i installed it ive had the MID throttle issues, even when he sent a new MAP with the mid range rinchened up.

the FI light was flashing eratically when idling and i think slow acceleratino but when i got on it it went away and when i was slowing down.
When you say that you tried to (Re-calibrate) the ISC did you un-install the calibration first? If not, you MUST put it back to the map setting first as explained in the calibration addendum in Steve's post above.Then calibrate it again.

#12 ·
You know what is funny that I was about to PM you about getting the VDI. (In reference to this thread http://www.mudinmyblood.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1537&page=4 about being able to get the VDI cheaper) Then I realized that this was ur thread...I hope you get it all worked out. Keep us informed, would like to know the outcome of this.

Later
Scott

#14 ·
thats whats strange about it. it wont start flashing the L until i START the bike?
the status light just stays solid/lit, no blinking or anything.

and how do i clear the error codes on the VDI?

#15 ·
here is a video, not the greatest but listen while im at mid throttle (not getting on it).
that and hard starts is pretty much the only issues i have right now. im not sure if its calibrated or not??

#16 ·
you can definitely see what you describe in the video.
i have to believe there's calibration issue or something stemming from the Throttle sensor. in the manual it says to not adjust it. you can only check input and output voltage, and if found out of spec, replace the unit.

#17 · (Edited)
i hope the TPS dont need replaced.
listen @ 1:23!!!
pretty good backfire!
but i wonder if it needs more fuel.
does it sound lean or rich? im guessing lean.
with the stock ECU it runs normal.

this is what lyle @ VDI instructed me to do so my next day off im gonna try it.

Hi Tom,

According to the service manual, you shouldn’t need to adjust the TPS sensor.

I’d load in the last map I sent you, and click on the “lean table” tab at the bottom (#1 is for map #1 and #2 is for map #2). We use that to pull out extra fuel under light throttle. For the row TPS=0, try setting 2500=0, 3000=5, 4000=10. That will richen up the light throttle by 10%. If it’s too rich at light throttle, then it tends to want to flood.

Lyle

i just wonder if thats gonna mess with my free rev? because its rich there.
i think it needs tuned but id like to get it close before i take it anywhere.

#19 ·
i hope the TPS dont need replaced.
listen @ 1:23!!!
pretty good backfire!
but i wonder if it needs more fuel.
does it sound lean or rich? im guessing lean.
with the stock ECU it runs normal.

this is what lyle @ VDI instructed me to do so my next day off im gonna try it.

Hi Tom,

According to the service manual, you shouldn’t need to adjust the TPS sensor.

I’d load in the last map I sent you, and click on the “lean table” tab at the bottom (#1 is for map #1 and #2 is for map #2). We use that to pull out extra fuel under light throttle. For the row TPS=0, try setting 2500=0, 3000=5, 4000=10. That will richen up the light throttle by 10%. If it’s too rich at light throttle, then it tends to want to flood.

Lyle

i just wonder if thats gonna mess with my free rev? because its rich there.
i think it needs tuned but id like to get it close before i take it anywhere.
I would think that it is running a little lean,prob because of the muzzy.I would richen it up as Lyle instructed,should fix that. It won't mess with your free rev as the fuel will be added by demand at a certain rpm.
I think you might have interpreted the flashing on the VDI as a code when in fact it was still doing it's calibration.I really don't think you have a TPS problem.
As for the hard start....did you try unplugging the rectifier and then seeing how quick it starts? I know the rectifiers on some were creating too much white noise and this should have been addressed in the latest firmware update.If that doesn't make a difference try adding 1.5ms to your prime pulse (but be carefull about turning the key on and off )as it will add that pulse each time the key turns.

#18 ·
good luck man i hope you get this worked out.

#20 ·
That sounds lean...

#21 ·
any updates I am waiting on buying on till I hear how you come out on this

#22 ·
haven't had a chance to mess with it. have the next 3 days to play though. i may buy a cheap tach to hook up to the ECU to help me pin point where its lean.

i must say though, lyle at VDI has been emailing back every single Q i throw at him and helping me. real stand up guy and service!

#23 ·
Lyle has just released updated version firmware

Date: January 14, 2010
Revision: 1.4h
Changes: Fixed bug that could cause flicking FI light / limp mode due to noisy battery conditions.
Fixed bug that prevented the L-L-L-L calibration code from being displayed on the status LED before the engine started.

#24 ·
dang that sounds just like what 88rxn/a needs!

#25 ·
no kidding!
im going to have to thank him!
like stated, he really is a stand up guy!!!
maybe now i can get this bad boy running strong!
yiluss, was yours doing the same thing?
how about you Dabrute?

#26 ·
ok, updated to 1.4H and uploaded 1.4G hoping it would rid of the FI light flashing...NOPE. but it did fix the calibration L-L-L-L before starting.

i been dumping fuel into the MAP with no avail. im going to get a tach today so i hope then i can narrow down the problem/lean spots.

i set the lean tables to 0 (you need to SUBTRACT lean tables to ADD fuel) and started adding in the VE MAP chart.

it HAS to be the VDI because (needs fuel) the stock ECU works great!

#27 ·
aw crud. i was hoping that was going to fix the issue.
you'll get it soon.

#28 ·
thanks my friend. i to was hoping that once i could cancel the calibration and re-calibrate it i would be OK. just gotta dump some fuel into her is all (i hope).

#29 ·
well 1.4h didn't help my FI light either,but it's not hurting anything and i'm sure Lyle will eventually get it worked out.Glad you got your ISC cal. working correctly :) as for the lean cond.....keep at it, you'll find the spot to add that fuel ! ;)
Q: why did you upload 1.4g instead of 1.4h or was this a typo? or were you refering to the 1.4 87/91 map?

#31 ·
So i went and re-uploaded 1.4h again and the FI flasing went away, YAY:)
I turned the key off and restarted it a few times and it never stayed on so i went for a 5km boot and it still never came on .Yay again ;) all working good now :rockn:

Try that dude.
I first loaded my map into the pod then attached to the VDI , let it do it's firmware update then it installed the new map.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.