MudInMyBlood Forums
Go Back   MudInMyBlood Forums > Brand Basics > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Blood, Sweat, and Beers!

gpinjason is a jewel in the roughgpinjason is a jewel in the roughgpinjason is a jewel in the roughgpinjason is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Yahoo to gpinjason
Oil light flashing??

What exactly does the flashing oil light indicate? Mine started flashing Saturday after I went through the big water holes to clean the mud out from under the Brute... after a few minutes, all the water dried on the engine and it quit blinking... I'm hoping it's just an electrical connection getting wet... when it first started blinking, I shut it off and checked the oil and everything looked good... and I know the temperature indicator is actually on the display, and it wasn't blinking...

Anyone have any suggestions? Is it just electrical? I need to get in there and re-dielectric grease everything again...

Reply With Quote Go to top
Old 10-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #2

NMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of light
Probably just a wet connection. If it had lost pressure, it would be on solid.

EZ-Steer EPS | Elka Stage-3s | 26" Grim Reapers on 14" SS112s | Dynatek CDI | Twin Air Filter | TPI Adjustable Airbox Valves | YFZ Catch Can Mod | Perma-Cool Oil Cooler | Diamond "G" Tie Rods w/Moose Ends | EPI Pink Primary W/ Almond Secondary | PowerMadd Handguards & Mirrors | Energy Swaybar Bushings | OMI Stem Bushing | 2013 a-arms & bushings | 2012 Seat | Ricochet Armor | HL Front Bumper | Direction2 Overfenders | Moose Dual Gasser Throttle

Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Account Disabled

filthyredneck is a jewel in the roughfilthyredneck is a jewel in the roughfilthyredneck is a jewel in the rough
I always thought the oil light is for the oil level... if it gets too low, I would think it would trigger it to come on. Have to consult the manual to verify though. My old SRA would flash the oil light & reverse light when I'd go deep with it. Havnt had anything but the reverse light come on with this bike though.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Blood, Sweat, and Beers!

gpinjason is a jewel in the roughgpinjason is a jewel in the roughgpinjason is a jewel in the roughgpinjason is a jewel in the rough
last time out my reverse light came on when I hit the water... this time the oil light... I sealed off the reverse light plug with dielectric grease and a little silicone...

I checked the oil and it was slightly below the full mark, but that was as soon as I shut it off, so I'm sure oil was still in the top end draining back down...

Old 10-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Rollin' Deep

islandlife is on a distinguished road
the oil light is for pressure. undo the conection for the oil pressure sensor, slap some diletric grease on it and you should be good.

06 BF 650 sra, dyna cdi, no KEBC fork, looney tuned duals, xover intakes, polished slides, 26" x 12" mudlights, vision 159's, EPI maroon and black clutch springs, epi front coils, temp guage, fan override, grip/thumb warmers, reverse light, plug wire mod, autometer tach, homemade front bumper and grab bar.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Blood, Sweat, and Beers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandlife View Post
the oil light is for pressure. undo the conection for the oil pressure sensor, slap some diletric grease on it and you should be good.
Where exactly is the sensor? I wanna make sure I don't miss it... tried looking for it in the service manual and couldn't find it..

Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Blood, Sweat, and Beers!

i think I found it... is it right next to the oil filter? looking at the front of the engine, to the right of the filter?

Old 10-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
Rollin' Deep

islandlife is on a distinguished road
yup, just a single wire. blue or purple or something like that

06 BF 650 sra, dyna cdi, no KEBC fork, looney tuned duals, xover intakes, polished slides, 26" x 12" mudlights, vision 159's, EPI maroon and black clutch springs, epi front coils, temp guage, fan override, grip/thumb warmers, reverse light, plug wire mod, autometer tach, homemade front bumper and grab bar.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:13 AM   #9
Professional Mudder

drtj is on a distinguished road
mine started flashing at me once when i was doing a wheelie. I think i ran it up on the back rack & it stayed there a few seconds then it came on. turned it off put it on all 4's checked oil it was fine. started it back up no more problems. hope its just a connection

Moose Module
MIMB Snorkels
Front and Rear bumper Guards
Custom Dents and Scratches
Old 10-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #10
Rather b Dirty than Purty

Rack High will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtj View Post
mine started flashing at me once when i was doing a wheelie. I think i ran it up on the back rack & it stayed there a few seconds then it came on. turned it off put it on all 4's checked oil it was fine. started it back up no more problems. hope its just a connection
drtj, wheelies cause the oil to pile up on the backside of the motor away from the oil pump. This triggers the oil light to come on as no oil is being picked up by the pump. If run too long in that condition, you're looking at internal engine damage IMHO.

08 Brute Force 750I, VDI Copperhead, HMF Swamp exhaust with custom snorks and radiator relocate. UNI air filter. Pink primary/ red secondary clutch springs and EPI weights. ASR tie rods and ends. 2" lift kit, 30" Zilla rears all the way around on 14" ITP SS212 wheels. Viper Max MX4000# winch with black Amsteel synthetic cable.

TEAM MONEY PIT
Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 AM   #11
Blood, Sweat, and Beers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtj View Post
well, considering the location of the little connector... I'm willing to bet it was from water... it's very low on the front of the engine.. I will be checking everything else out carefully also, but I'm 95% sure it just needs some dielectric grease....

and yes, I know that riding wheelies will cause the oil to run to the back of the engine, but I wasn't riding wheelies either... I just drove through a rack deep hole about 4 or 5 times to clean the mud outta my frame, tires, a-arms...

Old 10-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #12
Backwoodz Boggerz

rmax has a spectacular aura aboutrmax has a spectacular aura about
it is a pressure sensor, i put a direct presure gage on mine in line with the electric idle 45lbs- with any rpm added goes to 75lbs wide open 90+lbs. this tells me pressure is directly in time with rpm, an i never thought they would produce those kind of numbers, i have a extra presure guage thet i will do a test on to see what pressure has to be to put light out, an post later

06, 650i,sleeved to 85mm fst 11.5/1, fststage 2 cams, intakes polished, ex ports opened up, hl springs, 29.5 laws itp rims,rad relocate with brush guard, 3in center snorkels(home made), wind screen h/m,custom 4 gage cluster (oil temp,oilpress,water temp,an return oil temp), full hmf ex,3000lb warn winch, backup light with brush guard, front mounted recevier hitch,rmax manual 4wd,oilcooler, b/w boston (mud)terrior.had to include he goes everywhere 4 wheeler goes. ez steer by satv
Old 10-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #13
Blood, Sweat, and Beers!

cool, sounds good

Old 10-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
Experienced Mudder

blue beast is on a distinguished road
guess i need to check these also. i didnt grease them . something else goes on the to do list. check, check

08 brute force 750 4x4i
29.5 LAWS/STI HD2se gloss black rims
VFJ #1/#2 springs
2" snorks/ammo cans
3.0 warn winch//Terex belt
temp gauge/fan switch
1"spacers/2" lift
stock exhaust snorked/rad. racked

Old 10-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #15

NMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmax View Post
it is a pressure sensor, i put a direct presure gage on mine in line with the electric idle 45lbs- with any rpm added goes to 75lbs wide open 90+lbs. this tells me pressure is directly in time with rpm, an i never thought they would produce those kind of numbers, i have a extra presure guage thet i will do a test on to see what pressure has to be to put light out, an post later
Hmmm..the book for the 06 750 says with the oil temp at 248 degrees and at 4000 rpm, it should be 62.6 psi and the pressure relief should keep it from going too much higher. I'm thinking if yours is getting to 90+, it might be stuck, which they say does happen. Carefull you don't wash-out a bearing. That's why you don't see too many high pressure pumps any more.

EZ-Steer EPS | Elka Stage-3s | 26" Grim Reapers on 14" SS112s | Dynatek CDI | Twin Air Filter | TPI Adjustable Airbox Valves | YFZ Catch Can Mod | Perma-Cool Oil Cooler | Diamond "G" Tie Rods w/Moose Ends | EPI Pink Primary W/ Almond Secondary | PowerMadd Handguards & Mirrors | Energy Swaybar Bushings | OMI Stem Bushing | 2013 a-arms & bushings | 2012 Seat | Ricochet Armor | HL Front Bumper | Direction2 Overfenders | Moose Dual Gasser Throttle