MudInMyBlood Forums
Go Back   MudInMyBlood Forums > Brand Basics > Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Gettin Muddy

BigBearOnOutlaws is on a distinguished road
2-4 wheel drive switch/actuator

okay i took my actuator apart and found my magnet broke i fixed the magnet and hooked the actuator up to a 12v battery and it works like a dream, put it back on and hook it up and it doesnt work, switch is getting 0v in the 2wheel drive position, and 4.86v in the 4wheel drive position.....is the switch supposed to have 12v?

2012 Polaris Ranger XP LE HD
My Racing Team..Has A Drinking Problem!!!!
Reply With Quote Go to top
Old 11-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Professional Mudder

IBBruin is a jewel in the roughIBBruin is a jewel in the roughIBBruin is a jewel in the roughIBBruin is a jewel in the rough
A manual is your best friend. If you own a Kawasaki you should get one. The switch does not control positive voltage, it switches negative. If the switch is open it's in 4WD. If the switch is closed, it's 2WD. I'm not in a position to look up wire colors for you right now but if you had a manual, you could.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #3

NMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBearOnOutlaws View Post
okay i took my actuator apart and found my magnet broke i fixed the magnet and hooked the actuator up to a 12v battery and it works like a dream, put it back on and hook it up and it doesnt work, switch is getting 0v in the 2wheel drive position, and 4.86v in the 4wheel drive position.....is the switch supposed to have 12v?
At the switch its only 4.8v. At the actuator its 12v cause there is a relay under the seat. Check the fuses too. That motor loosing the magnet might have blown one.

Last edited by NMKawierider; 11-13-2010 at 05:28 PM.

EZ-Steer EPS | Elka Stage-3s | 26" Grim Reapers on 14" SS112s | Dynatek CDI | Twin Air Filter | TPI Adjustable Airbox Valves | YFZ Catch Can Mod | Perma-Cool Oil Cooler | Diamond "G" Tie Rods w/Moose Ends | EPI Pink Primary W/ Almond Secondary | PowerMadd Handguards & Mirrors | Energy Swaybar Bushings | OMI Stem Bushing | 2013 a-arms & bushings | 2012 Seat | Ricochet Armor | HL Front Bumper | Direction2 Overfenders | Moose Dual Gasser Throttle

Old 11-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Professional Mudder

IBBruin is a jewel in the roughIBBruin is a jewel in the roughIBBruin is a jewel in the roughIBBruin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBearOnOutlaws View Post
The switch supplies 12 volts NEGATIVE to the actuator controller when it's closed. That's why you are reading zero volts in 2WD (switch closed)
Old 11-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Professional Mudder

Think of it like this. You have 4.8 volts coming out of the actuator controller looking for a ground (negative). When you select 2WD, you supply that ground (negative) by closing the switch.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Gettin Muddy

its on a 650 where would the relay be located, and i dont really know what to look for?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #7

gtralt is on a distinguished road
Did you fix yours? I'm fighting the same problem right now on my Prairie 700. I took my actuatoe off and gave it 12V and it worked fine, I did the switch test and got 5v in 2wd and 0v in 4WD. and still will not go into 4WD. I just used 4WD a week ago and it was sluggish going it, like it took a little longer to engage.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Gettin Muddy

no i got ******ed off and took 2 conectors and ran a positive to the red wire plug on the actuator con nector and a ground to the black and wired it to a momentary switch...works great for now till i want to tear it apart some other time lol

Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
Gettin Muddy

MeanGreenMan will become famous soon enough
The motor part of the actuator is just the half of the story. The potentiometer (pot) part is another half and that's the part it goes wrong more than anything else. The pot tells the Controller the radial location of the motor shaft. If that's bad, the Controller doesn't know where the actuator is pointing at and would cause the 2/4WD light to flash. Usually water/corrosion messes up the pot.

W/O Pic is a B.S.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
Wright Guard

phreebsd is a name known to allphreebsd is a name known to allphreebsd is a name known to allphreebsd is a name known to allphreebsd is a name known to allphreebsd is a name known to all
you can swap that out!
its been done. the part is like 7 bux

Relocated Radiator
Maroon Primary
Yellow Secondary
MIMB Snorkels (dual 2" intake)
Rejetted
RaceDriven Sintered Metal Brake Pads
BigGun EVO Exhaust
Viper Max 5000 WideSpool with Amsteel Blue

TEAM ROLLIN' DEEP 2013

2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 12-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
Professional Mudder

Roboquad has a spectacular aura aboutRoboquad has a spectacular aura about
I was just fooling around with mine. replaced the block on the end, heard a noise when I moved it and it wont go in 4wd. flashing again.... and went into limp mode. I did the reset by the book and it will not come out of limp D**K mode. no change in flash speed this time round. Anyone want an 06 650? F This bike

kimpex bars /seat

3000lb winch for neighbor with an Articat
K&N intake & snorked

Moose plug & play chip

Ported/ polished heads

Trinity Exhaust

680 Straight Axle ; Cause 1/2 the Ride is on the slide!!!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:48 PM   #12

swampit78 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to swampit78
Mine is acting funny too. 2wd/4wd was flashing so i bought a new 4wd actuator , no change. Pulled the kEbc and cleaned/greased it and its working great , still no change. 2wd/4wd light is still flashing. Their is something under the seat i was told about but not real sure what to be looking for .

Last edited by swampit78; 12-26-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #13

NMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of lightNMKawierider is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampit78 View Post
Mine is acting funny too. 2wd/4wd was flashing so i bought a new 4wd actuator , no change. Pulled the kEbc and cleaned/greased it and its working great , still no change. 2wd/4wd light is still flashing. Their is something under the seat i was told about but not real sure what to be looking for .
You still have something wrong with one of them. This might help:

Actuator Control System Trouble Shooting,

When the actuator fails, the controller enters failure mode and the indicator light illuminates 2WD,4WD alternately.

1. If it alternates really fast at .5 seconds on 2wd and .5 seconds on 4wd then the problem is Selectable 2wd/4wd actuator.

2. If it alternates from 2wd/4wd at 1 second intervals, the problem is the Engine Brake Actuator.

3. If it alternates from 2wd/4wd at 2 second intervals, the problem is both the selectable 2wd/4wd actuator and Engine brake actuator.

EZ-Steer EPS | Elka Stage-3s | 26" Grim Reapers on 14" SS112s | Dynatek CDI | Twin Air Filter | TPI Adjustable Airbox Valves | YFZ Catch Can Mod | Perma-Cool Oil Cooler | Diamond "G" Tie Rods w/Moose Ends | EPI Pink Primary W/ Almond Secondary | PowerMadd Handguards & Mirrors | Energy Swaybar Bushings | OMI Stem Bushing | 2013 a-arms & bushings | 2012 Seat | Ricochet Armor | HL Front Bumper | Direction2 Overfenders | Moose Dual Gasser Throttle

Old 12-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #14

swampit78 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to swampit78
Ok ill take a look and see what i come up with. I almost positive its flashing in 1 second intervals. Thank you