Mud in My Blood Forum banner

How To Snorkel A Honda 420

68K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  brob518 
#1 · (Edited)
Heres how me and Bam Bam snorkeled his Honda 420 today.

Total cost of materials is around $45

Parts List for air intake

1 1/2" 45 street PVC connector = 1
1 1/2" 22 street PVC connector = 1
1 1/2" electrical PVC sweep 90 connector = 1
1 1/2" to 2" PVC adapter connector = 1
2" PVC 22 connector = 2
2" PVC 45 connector = 3
2" PVC 90 connector = 1
2" Rubber 90 connector = 1
2" PVC male connector with treads = 1
Small tube of silicone
1 can plastic paint ( unless you can find ABS pipe)

Parts list for vent lines and fake snorkel tube.

2" PVC 45 connector = 2
2" PVC male connector with treads = 1
2" PVC female connector with threads = 1
6 feet of rubber vacum line ( not sure of ID. It would be best to cut a small piece of yours off and take it with you to match up size.
Two small plastic connectors to join vacum lines together. ( Again its best to take a small piece of the vacum lime with you to match up the connectors with.)
A small hand full of zip ties are handy when running the new vacum lines.

Tools needed.
2" Hole saw or Dremal tool. ( Basically anything to cut a round hole in the plastic.I used a drywall rotor.)
Small 1/4 drive ratchet with extension.
6MM and 8MM socket to 1/4 drive ratchet.
Allen wrench set.
Saw to cut PVC with. I used a miter saw.Worked great.
A magic marker.

Getting started

(Sorry i did not get any pics of this first process.But its really just common sense.Take the plastics off and remove the stock air intake)

Ok to get started you will need to remove the seat. Remove air box cover. Next remove the air filter. You will be able to see where the stock air intake enters the air box below where the air filter was. Now you will need to remove colored( red in this case) and black side plastics on the right hand side of the bike. They will be held on by rubber grommets,plastic rivets and one allen screw. You can remove the plastic rivets with a flat head screw driver by prying the center piece on the rivet up. Once the side plastics have been removed you can take the gas tank cover off.

Now you should be be able to see the stock air intake tube. You will all see the four rubber vent tube you'll need to run up to the fake snorkel.Go ahead and pull them loose and let them hang free. The tube will be held in place with a small plastic rivet up near the gas tank. Take that rivet out. The tube is attached to the air box with a small rubber boot.Now you should be able to push the side attached to the air box out. You don't have to try and get to that small metal clamp to loosen it. Just push hard and the whole thing with pop out of the box. Tube, rubber boot and all.

Now its time to start snorkeling. First thing to do is mark out the holes for the two snorkel tubes. I used the 2" PVC female connector with threads to mark the holes with.

Now you will need to make the connector to go trough the plastic for the fake snorkel. I made both of the snorkels removable for future service. Both will come apart at the point they pass though the plastic. You will need one 2" PVC male connector with threads and one 2" PVC female connector with threads. You will notice when you try to screw the two together that there is a taper on the male end so it gets tight before the thread bottoms out. This will not allow you to sandwich the body plastic tight between the two . What i did was cut about a 1/2 inch off the end of the female connector and use it as a shim. In this pic you will see what i mean. The top one is screwed up tight but you can still see threads and that will not work. the bottom one has been modified to work.

Here you can see it installed. The shim is on the bottom side.

Now you can extend you vent line. Two of the lines run to the front while two run to the back. The front two are already long enough. Your gonna need to extend the back two like this. The new vent lines we added were 3 feet long each. Go ahead and run them up to the fake snorkel and zip tie them in place. Even though we did not do it on this 420 you may want to extend the over flow bottle vent up as well. Its possible it could suck dirty water into the bottle then into the radiator. If you plan to spend any time in really deep water i would also extend gas cap vent up as well.

Now you can fab up the rest of the fake snorkel. We used two 2" PVC 45 connector connected back to back.Use a short piece of PVC pipe to connect them together as well as connect them to the female fitting. Bam Bam did not want tall snorkels and opted of the low and clean look. If you want them longer you can see it would be easy to add a piece here for that. You will need to trim the vent lines to fit if there too long.

You can see the snorkel tube laying on the fender in this pic and how the vents should look.

OK this one is a little tough to explain so i added text to the pics to try and clear it up. This is the air intake snorkel.Be sure you put the stock air box rubber boot back in the hole in the box. You will need it and the clamp to make the PVC fit right when you connect it to the box.

OK here is were i added the rubber 90 so the top part of the snorkel could be removed. Just like the other side use a 2" PVC male connector though the hole you cut in the body. Attach the rubber 90 tight to it. I added some silicon in the rubber 90 to make sure it got a good seal to the threaded end of the PVC.

I'll add the rest in another post. This one is getting long. Just a sec....

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Ok here we go!!!

Pic of the under side. You can see the rubber 90 is tight to the body plastic.

Here it is all marked up and ready to glue. I actually built it in three difernat setcions then glued the final two conections once i had it installed back on the bike. Now is the time to paint any PVC that will be exposed if you dont want it white.

Heres a pic of inside the air box. You can see were the PVC enters the box we put a liberal coat of silicone to insure it does not leak. There is also a clamp on the stock rubber boot to help hold it. You will also most likely need to add some silicone around the air box lid to make it air tight. IMO its also best to plug the drain hole in the bottom of the air box with silicone as well.

Another pic of the top end. Here you can see the top snorkel is completed and painted.

Random pics.

Done!!!!:rockn:

#3 ·
A-men a all day job :34:. Metal Man is no doubt "THE MAN" I dub this snorkel job Metal Made.

:rockn:

#5 ·
Great Job fellas!
Metal Man - very nice writeup. You are definitely an asset to this community!

#7 ·
just make sure and vent/seal all the hoses off....i did my buddies today and we ran 5 up the snorkel, then sealed off the crank case breather into the airbox. Then there's that really big diameter hose on the front passenger side of the motor....we are runnin that one later. Nice write up though. Flexxy conduit never even crossed my mind...

#9 ·
Hey just wanted to let yall know that i put my snorks on yesterday. I have a 2011 4x4 manual w/ power steering and it works fine. Running great!

#10 · (Edited)
Ya u can its all on prefference really. Alot of people go with the 1.5"-2" combo just because they look good as tips and no rejet or tuning is required. The inlet in the airbox is 1.5" so doing it metal mans way your not changing the amount of air injected to the bike. If you go 2" youl need to get a pc3/5 to comp for the extra air coming in. Hondas usually run alittle lean from factory so just be wary of what u do. And i guess to answer your question, yes you can go with either or.

Btw this is a great guide to use. But lemme tell ya. When he said that 2" rubber connector on the upper right fender is a tight fit....boy, i spent a good 25 minutes trying to get em all tightened up right and lined up. Biggest PITA of the whole job. Other than that its a breeze

#13 ·
Thx bro. Theyve held up good so far. Gotta seal the airbox grommets some before nats. Lol

#14 ·
Getting ready to snorkel a buddy s . Does anyone know the id of the vent lines?

#15 ·
Ummmm little medium amd big for the water pump? Lol idk the exact id but cut an inch or so from each one and bring it with u so u can match them up. I beilive i ran seven up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.