2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 650i - MudInMyBlood Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-29-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 650i

Good Afternoon,

I just bought a used ATV this is my first it runs just fine but I can't figure out why it won't go into 4wd. When I flip the switch nothing happens. When I key one I don't hear both the KEBC reset like they are supposed to. I took the actuator off ran it to 12v power and works as advertised. ran the wire back to the ECU and no open and have I continuity. Can someone please tell me where to go from here. I was thinking of the ECU but was not sure. Its like im not getting any power to the actuators at all. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-29-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Chambers View Post
Good Afternoon,

I just bought a used ATV this is my first it runs just fine but I can't figure out why it won't go into 4wd. When I flip the switch nothing happens. When I key one I don't hear both the KEBC reset like they are supposed to. I took the actuator off ran it to 12v power and works as advertised. ran the wire back to the ECU and no open and have I continuity. Can someone please tell me where to go from here. I was thinking of the ECU but was not sure. Its like im not getting any power to the actuators at all. Thank you in advance.
Well, first, all 650s were carbed so there were no ECUs, just CDIs and Actuator controllers. The CDI will cut controls power to the controller if there is a problem but...if it does see one, it will send an error code and the 2/4ed light will flash. How it flashed will tell you what actuator has the problem. Now if the light is NOT flashing, the system doesn't see a problem and that could be a bad connector somewhere or just a bad ground or..the switch is bad. So test the switch first and while in there see if it had 4.2-4.7 volts to it. That's control power. Also, the actuator controller has to get a signal from the speed sensor before it will do anything so sitting there it won't so anything. But you say the engine brake actuator doesn't cycle when turning the key on and off. That means either there is a wiring problem or...control power is cut due to an error. The service manual...which I suggest you get, will have a good trouble shooter for this type of stuff plus lots of other great info.

06 BF 750 (Silver) SOLD
15 Z Force 800 EPS

My Videos on You Tube
post #3 of 7 Old 08-29-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

There is no flashing on the display when turning the switch to 4wd or 2wd it just stays in 2wd mode. I tested power to the actuator and there is only like 4mV of power so like nothing. I am going to test the switch when I get home. Do you have any ideas on how to test it? Could you also show me where I can get a service manual mine didn't come with one?

I was thinking it was the Actuator Controller because I don't get any power coming from there. When I get home I am going to test the power going to the Controller to see if that is it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-29-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
There is no flashing on the display when turning the switch to 4wd or 2wd it just stays in 2wd mode. I tested power to the actuator and there is only like 4mV of power so like nothing. I am going to test the switch when I get home. Do you have any ideas on how to test it? Could you also show me where I can get a service manual mine didn't come with one?

I was thinking it was the Actuator Controller because I don't get any power coming from there. When I get home I am going to test the power going to the Controller to see if that is it.
Might even just have a blown fuse or...it's been known that the sword connections under the fuse box do hold water and get corroded easy on the 750s so..might be that way on the 650s.

I don't know where you can get a 650 manual..maybe ebay but here's one for the 05-07 750 which has most of the same systems as the 650s especially the IRS 650s.

Adobe Document Cloud

06 BF 750 (Silver) SOLD
15 Z Force 800 EPS

My Videos on You Tube
post #5 of 7 Old 08-29-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

If you had a moment could you please send me the one for the 750, please. Also, I checked all the fuses and they were good I have some new fuses I will plugin just to make sure and will check the connections. I also bought a fuse assembly and controller that it is getting sent to me Tuesday.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-29-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
If you had a moment could you please send me the one for the 750, please. Also, I checked all the fuses and they were good I have some new fuses I will plugin just to make sure and will check the connections. I also bought a fuse assembly and controller that it is getting sent to me Tuesday.
The link to the 750 manual is in my last post. Says Adobe Document Cloud. Pull the fuse box and turn it over. Check those connections.

06 BF 750 (Silver) SOLD
15 Z Force 800 EPS

My Videos on You Tube
post #7 of 7 Old 09-16-2019, 09:21 AM
Gettin Muddy

The switches go bad pretty often on the brutes, in my opinion. You can get a replacement pretty cheap and they are quick and easy to replace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 brute 650 sra
maroon primary, almond secondary
2" lift 27" swamp lites
moose module
2" snorkels