Mud in My Blood Forum banner

Best (tough) trail tire?

36K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  2010Bruterider 
#1 ·
Ok... just back from 5 days of riding in BFE Idaho.

A couple of observations;
1.) These stock Dunlops aren't much. They drift great on gravel roads, but not much in the traction dept.
2.) They must not be too thick, as I ran a stick thru one of my rear tires, could've been a rock, but I think it was a stick. Either way, I'm not impressed.

So..
I already knew I was going to upgrade the skinz.. probably go with a 26" on aftermarket 12's.
I am seriously considering the Terracross and one other... (slips my mind right now) But I want to make sure that whatever tires I get have some good strong belts in them... I hate fixing a flat on a trail ride..

What do the dedicated mountain/trail riders recommend?

#3 ·
Stock tires on quads are garbage, and the brutes dunlops are on the top of that pile of garbage lol.

If you are seriously concerned about flats, you could go with an 8 ply tire but they seem to be heavier. Remember the dunlops you have are 2 ply, almost all aftermarket are 6 ply, and there are some 8. Honestly I would say you would be fine with a 6 ply unless your going into really bad situations for tires often.

With that being said if you do go with 6, you have pretty much any option you want in tires as they are the biggest available. As far as helping you pick that tire, wed need more information on what you regularly drive, if you hit the odd mud hole and need a somewhat aggressive trail tire or not.

Teracross tires seem to have been doing well from what ive been reading and heard so it might be just what your looking for. But if you do rock crawling and stuff something like a big horn might be better.

#5 ·
Ya know... I looked all over that stinkin tire for a ply rating & couldn't find it.. 2-ply??? Holy crap.. no wonder! LOL!

The Big Horn was the other tire I was looking at..

I use this machine daily at my home; just basic pasture & some dirt, snow in the winter.
I also use it at my place up north out of Sandpoint.. lots of sticks/rocks/mud/snow/dirt.
I won't be lifting it, and don't want giant tires.. no need for 'em as unlike many of you, I use it as an ATV, not a submarine..:biggrin:
I do plan on going up one size, and I'll probably go with aftermarket wheels, but'll stick with the 12".

so; dirt, gravel roads, broken rocky stuff, muddy sections, ..... basic trail riding stuff..

I just looked at the Pit Bull Growlers, but they are directional.. I think more of a multi-directional tire would be better..

What's funny, is I've owned my 02 Rancher since new, and have had great luck with the OE Goodyears... so much so that I've stuck with them. 8100 miles & I'm on my third set of rears and my second set of fronts.. only two flats in 10 years. Same trails, same usage..

#6 ·
hmm you want to do just about everything with them don't you? lol. I would say grim reapers or big horn as stated before(Not a fan of ITP tires in general). Unless you want something with a little more bite like a zilla, they would help with the mud and snow but would be worse for rocks.

If it were me tho, Id go with a 27". Just gives you a little bit more ground clearance without making to up high and unstable. In saying that as well tho, take in mind most tires don't measure true to so size. so if you got 26"s that may measure 25", or it may even measure 27". What ever tire you pick, make sure you research it runs short or tall.

#7 ·
hmm you want to do just about everything with them don't you? lol. I would say grim reapers or big horn as stated before(Not a fan of ITP tires in general). Unless you want something with a little more bite like a zilla, they would help with the mud and snow but would be worse for rocks.

If it were me tho, Id go with a 27". Just gives you a little bit more ground clearance without making to up high and unstable. In saying that as well tho, take in mind most tires don't measure true to so size. so if you got 26"s that may measure 25", or it may even measure 27". What ever tire you pick, make sure you research it runs short or tall.
Understood.. I'm shying away from the taller stuff for two reasons;
1.) I'm addicted to the power.. and I know the larger tire I spoon on, the more it affects that.. heck.. going from a 2 ply to a 6 ply by itself is going to add some resistance..
2.) I like how stable it is in corners (read; sliding on gravel roads) now.. I don't want to make it more apt to high side my fat butt off..

I like the looks of the Zilla, but I really think that'd be overkill for my application.. the T-cross, Reaper, or the Big Horn look to be some of the best choices..

#8 ·
remember with aftermarket wheels your going to be wider, so your going to gain some stability from that too.

As far as power loss, 26-27 isn't going to make a big difference, talking 2-3 pounds for each tire on average. You can compare the weights here: MudInMyBlood Forums Tire Weight Chart

If your wanting an absolute stock feeling with even more stability though id choose the grim reapers.

#10 ·
My 589s seem to be a good agressive all around tire. They are exceptional in the snow and mud for what I do. Im a trail rider 90% and plow the yard in winter.

#11 · (Edited)
I just did about a years worth of research and went with the 25.5 pitbull growlers on aftermarket 12" rims. I googled every thing imaginable on every tire in the trail category. Looked at many different sites, looked at in depth reviews on Jacobs atv and other sites. And that is what I decided was my best choice. Good luck, it's a tough decision.

BTW, while the treads blocks are arranged in a directional manner, the tread blocks themselves have many different biting edges and shapes.

#13 ·
I've got Big Horns on my '10 Brute and Big Horn 2.0's on my 08. Both have been excellent and suited my needs well ....the only downside is that they never wear out! ...lol

#16 ·
I'd go with the MOTO MTC's they'll out perform and outlast the Big Horn 2 to 1 not too mention they just look good.

KAWI RULES

#17 ·
Kenda Bounty Hunters here and love them - they wear good too,but are directional.I've rode on these tires flat,and off the bead, two times now,over rocky terrain,filled them back up,and they still keep kicking butt.Although I would like to try the Bighorn 2 or Grim Reapor tires.These are 14" x 8" wheels, 9" x 26" front and 11" x 26" rear.

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
moto MTC ! pretty deep, but close spaced tread pattern. they have nice side lugs too. very simmular to the Big Horns. i would recomend them for trail riding. another super tough long lasting tire is the Highlifter MST. a little more aggresive, but they ride better than you would think and they wont let you down.
+ Google Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then Google Video is down or you don't have Flash installed.

#21 ·
Radial outlaws hands down !

From what he has said, I dont think those are the tires for him. They are just too heavy and possibly too agressive.

Bighorns are great all around tires. I'm going to pick up a set of 28s for my 900 soon. The 26s were too small for my taste and just didnt look right. A lot of the guys on the RZR Forum swear by the Pitbulls, even over the bighorns, but they are heavy. Also from what I have read, the Moto MTCs are also good all terrain tires but they are also heavy. I picked up a 28x10x14 Moto MTC and I swear it weighed more than my 26x12x12 Bighorn Mounted on a wheel.

BTW For such a small tire like a 26 I'd stick with a 12" rim.

#23 ·
I just installed a set of 26" Dirt Commanders and they didn't seem to rob too much power even with an 8 ply rating

Attachments

#25 ·
I'd love to hear more on the sun F, weight ,sizes and , how they wear. I was thinking grim reapers next but I'm intrigued by the run flat. I must have 15 holes in my mudlites, I keep seeing little green goo seeping out of them. That stuff works great, they they havent gone flat w all the holes since I put a bottle in. nkawierider's review on the reapers had me pricing them out. In the end of my long search it was down to bighorns or reapers.

"it's a trick!! Get an axe!!

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

#26 ·
IIRC the Dominators are made by Sun F. There was a thread on here where someone bought Dominators from Super ATV and they said Sun F on the sidewalls

#27 ·
look just gowith the bighorns. i can assure you that you wont be disappointed. i know they are a top notch trail tire and i also know they arent bad in the snow at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.