Best (tough) trail tire? - MudInMyBlood Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
mjn
Trail Rider

Best (tough) trail tire?

Ok... just back from 5 days of riding in BFE Idaho.

A couple of observations;
1.) These stock Dunlops aren't much. They drift great on gravel roads, but not much in the traction dept.
2.) They must not be too thick, as I ran a stick thru one of my rear tires, could've been a rock, but I think it was a stick. Either way, I'm not impressed.

So..
I already knew I was going to upgrade the skinz.. probably go with a 26" on aftermarket 12's.
I am seriously considering the Terracross and one other... (slips my mind right now) But I want to make sure that whatever tires I get have some good strong belts in them... I hate fixing a flat on a trail ride..

What do the dedicated mountain/trail riders recommend?

15 Yamaha Viking SE
05 Suzuki Hayabusa
02 Honda Rancher (8000+ miles)
81 Yamaha Seca 550
78 Honda Hawk
69 Honda Z50A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 05:18 PM

Pittbull growlers are amazing tires.
post #3 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Honored Member

Stock tires on quads are garbage, and the brutes dunlops are on the top of that pile of garbage lol.

If you are seriously concerned about flats, you could go with an 8 ply tire but they seem to be heavier. Remember the dunlops you have are 2 ply, almost all aftermarket are 6 ply, and there are some 8. Honestly I would say you would be fine with a 6 ply unless your going into really bad situations for tires often.

With that being said if you do go with 6, you have pretty much any option you want in tires as they are the biggest available. As far as helping you pick that tire, wed need more information on what you regularly drive, if you hit the odd mud hole and need a somewhat aggressive trail tire or not.

Teracross tires seem to have been doing well from what ive been reading and heard so it might be just what your looking for. But if you do rock crawling and stuff something like a big horn might be better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 05:35 PM

GBC Grim Reapers. 8-ply radial, superier in every way to all others I ever ran. TerraCross are also a great tire.. a 6-ply but a bit more bi-directional. Don't trust the Dunlops into the wilderness...they are just a 2-ply and will leave you walking...Oh...you just found that out...

06 BF 750 (Silver) SOLD
15 Z Force 800 EPS

My Videos on You Tube
post #5 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
mjn
Trail Rider

Ya know... I looked all over that stinkin tire for a ply rating & couldn't find it.. 2-ply??? Holy crap.. no wonder! LOL!

The Big Horn was the other tire I was looking at..

I use this machine daily at my home; just basic pasture & some dirt, snow in the winter.
I also use it at my place up north out of Sandpoint.. lots of sticks/rocks/mud/snow/dirt.
I won't be lifting it, and don't want giant tires.. no need for 'em as unlike many of you, I use it as an ATV, not a submarine..
I do plan on going up one size, and I'll probably go with aftermarket wheels, but'll stick with the 12".

so; dirt, gravel roads, broken rocky stuff, muddy sections, ..... basic trail riding stuff..

I just looked at the Pit Bull Growlers, but they are directional.. I think more of a multi-directional tire would be better..

What's funny, is I've owned my 02 Rancher since new, and have had great luck with the OE Goodyears... so much so that I've stuck with them. 8100 miles & I'm on my third set of rears and my second set of fronts.. only two flats in 10 years. Same trails, same usage..

15 Yamaha Viking SE
05 Suzuki Hayabusa
81 Yamaha Seca 550
78 Honda Hawk
69 Honda Z50A
post #6 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Honored Member

hmm you want to do just about everything with them don't you? lol. I would say grim reapers or big horn as stated before(Not a fan of ITP tires in general). Unless you want something with a little more bite like a zilla, they would help with the mud and snow but would be worse for rocks.

If it were me tho, Id go with a 27". Just gives you a little bit more ground clearance without making to up high and unstable. In saying that as well tho, take in mind most tires don't measure true to so size. so if you got 26"s that may measure 25", or it may even measure 27". What ever tire you pick, make sure you research it runs short or tall.
post #7 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
mjn
Trail Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddaman View Post
hmm you want to do just about everything with them don't you? lol. I would say grim reapers or big horn as stated before(Not a fan of ITP tires in general). Unless you want something with a little more bite like a zilla, they would help with the mud and snow but would be worse for rocks.

If it were me tho, Id go with a 27". Just gives you a little bit more ground clearance without making to up high and unstable. In saying that as well tho, take in mind most tires don't measure true to so size. so if you got 26"s that may measure 25", or it may even measure 27". What ever tire you pick, make sure you research it runs short or tall.
Understood.. I'm shying away from the taller stuff for two reasons;
1.) I'm addicted to the power.. and I know the larger tire I spoon on, the more it affects that.. heck.. going from a 2 ply to a 6 ply by itself is going to add some resistance..
2.) I like how stable it is in corners (read; sliding on gravel roads) now.. I don't want to make it more apt to high side my fat butt off..

I like the looks of the Zilla, but I really think that'd be overkill for my application.. the T-cross, Reaper, or the Big Horn look to be some of the best choices..

15 Yamaha Viking SE
05 Suzuki Hayabusa
81 Yamaha Seca 550
78 Honda Hawk
69 Honda Z50A
post #8 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Honored Member

remember with aftermarket wheels your going to be wider, so your going to gain some stability from that too.

As far as power loss, 26-27 isn't going to make a big difference, talking 2-3 pounds for each tire on average. You can compare the weights here: MudInMyBlood Forums Tire Weight Chart

If your wanting an absolute stock feeling with even more stability though id choose the grim reapers.
post #9 of 32 Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Trail Rider

A buddy has 28" bighorns on his popo, great tires on the trails, and even hold their on in mild mud.

2009 Thunder Kitten
Ghetto fab'd snorkels and racked
Clocked secondary, shimmed primary
32" Silverbacks, Highlifter springs
post #10 of 32 Old 08-26-2012, 05:06 AM
Rollin' Deep

My 589s seem to be a good agressive all around tire. They are exceptional in the snow and mud for what I do. Im a trail rider 90% and plow the yard in winter.

08 BF 650I, Warn 2500, 27" ITP 589, 1" spacers
08 Prarie 360 4x4, Warn 2500
00 Prarie 300 4x4, Warn 2500, Stock Mud Lites,
LED Strobes, 4' Kimpex Plow
post #11 of 32 Old 08-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Trail Rider

I just did about a years worth of research and went with the 25.5 pitbull growlers on aftermarket 12" rims. I googled every thing imaginable on every tire in the trail category. Looked at many different sites, looked at in depth reviews on Jacobs atv and other sites. And that is what I decided was my best choice. Good luck, it's a tough decision.

BTW, while the treads blocks are arranged in a directional manner, the tread blocks themselves have many different biting edges and shapes.

2011 Brute Force 750
FST 11.5:1 HC Pistons, FST Stage 2 Cams, VFJ Injectors, MSD Charge (with tunes by VFJ in conjunction with TNT Kawasaki), EHS Airbox Lid, TwinAir Filter, Full Muzzy Pro,
VFJ Stage 3 Clutch w/ Spidermod and 1/1 spring setup, Elka Stage 3 Shocks, Precision Pro Steering Stabilizer, Rox Riser/ Fly CR High Bend Fat bars
25.5" Pitbull Growlers on 12" STI HD3's
Viper Max 4000lb Winch
Missouri OHV Alliance Executive Director/ NOHVCC Missouri Partner

Last edited by jlgil73; 08-26-2012 at 08:05 AM.
post #12 of 32 Old 08-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Gettin Muddy

I have big horns on my brute i really like em. I ride in sand, mud, trails and also a fair amount of snow. They climb rocks well and do really awsome in the snow. I really have been fairly impressed in the mud but i know they aren't as good as some in the mud.
post #13 of 32 Old 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Rollin' Deep

I've got Big Horns on my '10 Brute and Big Horn 2.0's on my 08. Both have been excellent and suited my needs well ....the only downside is that they never wear out! ...lol

2017 Polaris Ranger XP 1000 North Star HVAC edition/3"SATV lift/28"STI Chicanes on MSA Beadlocks/5000lb Viper Max/ SATV rear Roll Bar/SATV rear Bumper/
13.25" LED front light bar/4" LED light cubes/In-dash garage opener/horn

2010 750 Brute (CAMO) 26"Big Horns on ITP 312's, Viper Max 4000lb winch, Kawi rack extentions.
post #14 of 32 Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM

I just picked up a set of Kenda Bearclaw HTR's about a month ago and I like them. 8 ply radial,run true to size,pretty aggressive for a trail tire and they ride smooth on hard pack.
post #15 of 32 Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Trail Rider

I had bighorns on my old quad. I enjoyed them alot!

2011 Brute Force 750
27" Mudlite XTR on 12 ss112
HMF swamp extreme with MSD
K&N filter
"2" Snorkels

SS Dirty Birds ATV, Ottawa, Canada