What's the best all around tire? - Page 8 - MudInMyBlood Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 190 Old 01-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Gettin Muddy

I didnt see anything about the ITP BAJACROSS tires, dose anyone have these tires? I am looking at buying these in a 28" or the Swamp Lite tires. How do the swamp lite tire wear?

I have 29.5-12-12's on all 4 corners right now, and I really like um, but not for just riding around on hardpack or asphalt. So I am looking for something I can put on my brute just for riding around on my land.

Last edited by xtreme02gt; 01-27-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 190 Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Gettin Muddy

My swamplites don't wear very bad at all. Mine has 400 hard miles on them and they were bought used. They might have 900 miles and I still have bout 90% all arounds.
post #108 of 190 Old 01-30-2011, 09:32 PM

30" Outlaw Radials JMO

Black 08 Brute Force 750
29.5 Laws - Black 212s
Extreme 2 - MIMB Snorkel
HMF Utility w/ custom snorkel an Chrome tip
PC III - AudioPipe w/ Ram Mount
Red Leds - Red/Black ProGrips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 190 Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Gettin Muddy

My swamplites have served me well. trail/mud/water/snow.....

2009 Brute 750i,HMF utility,HMF optimizer,SS112's,27 swamplites,UNI,MIMB 3" center snorkels,EPI almond secondary,Maroon Primary,Fuel tank skid mod V2, Kujo A-Arm bushings, Ricochet FULL skid package,American Star ProX Tierods/ends,HL 2" lift, Wanting the MSD bad :)
post #110 of 190 Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Trail Rider

So, I did quite a bit of research for a "all around" tire before I bought my Zillas and I havent got to do a full test on mine, but did do some riding on a buddy's rancher with them. I was real happy with them so I bought mine.

I've road a hand full of the popular tires all on different wheelers for up here in MN. Mudlites, 589s, Bighorns, Blackwater XTs, XTRs, Zillas.

I cant say I've given any of them a COMPLETE study, but I love the Zillas.

2012 CanAm Outty 1000
30in Backs Skinny/Wide
2in HL Lift and 1in Spring Spacer
Dual Muzzy Exhaust/Muzzy Digi Tuner
Snorked
EPI Clutch Kit
Custom Bumpers
Underbody LED lighs/Blinky Lights
post #111 of 190 Old 02-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Trail Rider

I wore out 2 sets of MudBugs on my previous ride... Excellent tire... I gotta say, phreebsd is right... they will surprise you. They are light weight, and clear out decently, and are a good price!! I am getting a set to put on when I don't want to run my Laws...

06 Brute Force 750i Camo
28" Highlifter Outlaws s/w on ITPs
Full Muzzy system
K&N Air, DynaTech CDI, Jetted
Wheel Spacers and High Lifter 2" Lift
HL Lift Springs, Front and Rear Bumpers
4000lbs Viper Elite
EPI Almond Primary and Lime Green Secondary
Gorilla Axle Racked Rad, Snorks
post #112 of 190 Old 02-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Gettin Muddy

my opinion i have the mud lite ats and there not too bad in the mud but trails and snow i never got stuck with them yet but if your lookin for something more aggresive then the zillas are good and some ppl say the pitbull tires and gbc grim reapers are good but never tried them
post #113 of 190 Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Gettin Muddy

I have mudlite xtr's and like them at all speeds but i ride some sand and snow and they dig a little to much for what i do. The guys i ride with have the bighorns and can get farther than me almost every time except in all out mud. My bighorns will be here on thursday .
post #114 of 190 Old 02-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Trail Rider

in my eyes a good tire for all around riding needs to wear good,be durable,have no wobble/shimmy (some tires are notorious for this),clean out when needed/grip when needed and track straight...one also has to consider the terrain/seasons that he/she rides in and their riding style also though,thus the perfect tire is always different for different riders...it's very hard to say one tire is better than another for these reasons as well as the cost of the tires...i have ridden on many sets of tires over the past few years and the best way to purchase them is used as long as the seller is trustworthy...lots of tires come to mind when i think about a great tire that does well overall

now i live in nebraska and ride all year round,thus need a tires for all listed here...lots of mud,clay,snow,ice,hills,sand,river bottoms,woods,gravel roads,fields,prolly something i am forgetting...when i think about all this durability comes to mind for punctures from sticks and bean/corn stalks,wear because of the gravel roads,traction in dry/wet/slick conditions,clean out in the mud and clay (we have it from very thick/sticky to watery as most do i am sure),traction/floatation in the sand and the snow (most of the time the snow here will not ball up yer tires like a big snowball...most of the time being the key,lol),ability to climb hills and downed logs...i have not run many true mud tires or trails tires because none of them meet my overall needs...so my list of tires and a little about them will be listed below,some didn't stay on my quad long enough to get more than just a short summer time review...keep in mind,these are my views for how i ride in my terrain in any given season

itp 589...old tried and true,good wear and durability,not the best lateral traction,good climber,digger,easy steering,good price,good in the snow as long as you are easy with the throttle in the deep stuff,overall a top choice for trail and mud

terracross...great dry trail traction whether forward,reverse or laterallly,hates mud (lol,but seriously they do),a bit spendy yet if i wanted a true trail tire this would prolly have been it

bugs...light weight,good wear and very durable in 26" and under/27" and up are not quite as good in these areas,very forgiving floater which will paddle you thru most anything full throttle or crawling,good sand manners on the 27" and up,not the best climber on hard slick hills or wet logs,not the best lateral traction,great in the snow,heavy steering,wanders a bit on gravel,priced right and another top trail mud choice

swamp foxes...a good inbetween of bug and 589 as far as floatation/digging goes,good wear and durability,decent lateral traction,climbs decent,a fair bit of wobble around 30 mph or so,good price

mudlites...much much better tire than they get credit for,good in snow,better than bugs in the sand,good floatation,easy to steer,fair durability and wear,great price,top of the list for A/T tires

super lights...mudlite knockoff,a bit taller and wider,much better wear,more durable,everything else is same as mudlite

badland xtrs...great forward dry traction,good wear,durability is fair,lateral traction is decent,good price

vampires...skinnies run way short (they work awesome for me in the local mud drags as long as ground clearance is not a factor)/i would not run wides with skinnies at all/either all wides or all skinnies,they climb like nothing else i have used as long as there's something for them to grab,not the best lateral traction,the only tire wider than a 27x12 vamp that i have seen in a 27" and under tire is the 26x12 asx,very durable,good wear,heavy,big time digger/good throttle control is key,they hate sand,if you want a mud tire that climbs this is it,heavy steering,when running all skinnies it is a wandering drunk on gravel roads,good price (one of my fav combos is the 27x12 vamp and 27x9.75 bi tri for all around riding when mud and hill climbing are involved regardless of the season)

mst...great wear and durability,good climber,very easy to steer,goes exactly where you want it to on the trails at any reasonable speed,good mix of floatation and digging,not as good as bugs in the sand,nice flat tread profile,best traction around 3 psi,if one would run wides on all four the climbing and mud ability is much better,a bit pricey (as of now,my favorite tire overall)

growlers...heavy,everything else is to be seen/lol,very spendy

executioners...run fairly short,very durable,wear great,digger,climb well,hates sand,not the best lateral traction,decent price

mudrunners...very durable,good wear,fairly equal forward and lateral traction,good overall tire,fairly spendy (definitely better tires out there for the money imo,yet i have a set of 4 skinnies for mud drags,lol)

bi claws...heavy,very durable,wear good,climb well,good match with the wide vamps imo,tend to understeer/not a good higher speed trail tire,spendy

mudlite xtr...fairly heavy,did not really like them from the get go thus they didn't see much time on my quad (thus my views are not very good on this tire),didn't do nearly as well in sticky mud as i thought they would,grabby at roots and such on the trail,overpriced (i would buy the 589 or regular mudlite over these)

bear claws...wear good,fairly durable,not great or terrfible in any area,if you want a tire that not a lot of people run this is one of them,good price

i really hope i like the growlers as much as my mst...i am looking for them to excel in all areas,except maybe in wear and mud ability...i switched down to a 25.5" tire though as i am second guessing my need around here for that extra 1" of ground clearance vs. the power to weight loss ratio...we will see in due time...these will replace my vamp/bi claw combo

WOODS RIDING WHEELIE MONSTER

BF650
...camo/26.5" growlers
Kymco MXU 150...green/kenda klaws
Grizzly 450...blue/27'' black diamond xtr
Scrambler 850...white/26.5" growlers

Last edited by sawhead; 02-27-2011 at 11:03 PM.
post #115 of 190 Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Forum Admin.

Great info! Thanks for posting.

MIMB - The REAL "Brute Central"
  • Sold: '00 Polaris Xpedition 425
  • Sold: '86 Honda 350X Trike
  • Sold: '00 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4
  • Sold: '07 Brute 750
  • Sold: 2011 Camo LE TeRyx
  • New: 2019 Sportsman 570 EPS

www.MudInMyBlood.com We Have a Thread for That...
post #116 of 190 Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Trail Rider

no problem...it's been a while since i posted like that and really had to dig to remember what i ran and thought about them,lol

BF650
...camo/26.5" growlers
Kymco MXU 150...green/kenda klaws
Grizzly 450...blue/27'' black diamond xtr
Scrambler 850...white/26.5" growlers
post #117 of 190 Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Gettin Muddy

How would a 26" swamplite do on a prairie 360 or should i get zillas? Which would be better in the mud?

06 prairie 360 4x4 (camo) Warn winch, audiopipe

95 sportsman 400 4x4 25" mudlites

05 ranger 500 4x4

98 prairie 400 (sold)
99 big bear 350 4x4 (sold)
03 prairie 650 4x4 (sold)
05 trailblazer 250 (sold)
post #118 of 190 Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Trail Rider

zillas

BF650