2005 Brute Force Belt Detection Light - MudInMyBlood Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By mom45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-20-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

2005 Brute Force Belt Detection Light

The belt detection light will not come on but the multifunction meter tests okay and the light works when jumping the meter.

This ATV was brought to us by a friend to have the carbs cleaned. He bought it at a yard sale so we don't know the history, but somebody has messed with it. The jets in the carbs were reversed from what the book said they should be. He also had an HMF exhaust that they gave him with it, which was on it at some point. We cleaned/rebuilt the carbs and it wouldn't run other than at an idle. We have also adjusted the valves, changed the CDI, the pulse coil and the ignition coils. More reading in the manual indicated it needs the belt detection reset (I hope I worded that right...my non computer using hubby just went back out to check something else). However, the light on the system doesn't light up to allow him to do that procedure per the instructions on the service bulletin I found.

So...it runs and idles now but when trying to rev the engine, it backfires/sputters and dies.

It isn't in the fuel system. He is sure it is in the ignition system. He has changed the plugs, etc.

How do we get the light to come on so he can reset it?? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-20-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom45 View Post
The belt detection light will not come on but the multifunction meter tests okay and the light works when jumping the meter.

This ATV was brought to us by a friend to have the carbs cleaned. He bought it at a yard sale so we don't know the history, but somebody has messed with it. The jets in the carbs were reversed from what the book said they should be. He also had an HMF exhaust that they gave him with it, which was on it at some point. We cleaned/rebuilt the carbs and it wouldn't run other than at an idle. We have also adjusted the valves, changed the CDI, the pulse coil and the ignition coils. More reading in the manual indicated it needs the belt detection reset (I hope I worded that right...my non computer using hubby just went back out to check something else). However, the light on the system doesn't light up to allow him to do that procedure per the instructions on the service bulletin I found.

So...it runs and idles now but when trying to rev the engine, it backfires/sputters and dies.

It isn't in the fuel system. He is sure it is in the ignition system. He has changed the plugs, etc.

How do we get the light to come on so he can reset it?? Any thoughts?
Belt light only comes on if there is a problem like the switch was tripped by a loose belt or bad connection. If it's off, all is OK. Now with that being said. its an 05....that means it has a buss connector in the harness near the tank fill cap that on all...and I mean all..05s, goes bad at some point. Faster if it ever gets wet. They also have connectors under the fuse box that holds water and corrodes so check those. Here's a vid on the buss connector.

06 BF 750 (Silver) SOLD
15 Z Force 800 EPS

My Videos on You Tube
post #3 of 5 Old 01-20-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll have him check that out. He has been working on anything with an engine forever so can normally fix just about anything. This one is really giving him a challenge! Not knowing the history doesn't help. I'm sure it has been hot at some point. The CDI has gravel melted into the bottom of it so ordering a new one was one of the first things he did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-21-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to report back. Problem found and fixed...exhaust was plugged.
Polaris425 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-22-2019, 08:05 AM

Plugged? With what? Oh and that CDI, most have that. It's just bubbles in the epoxy.

06 BF 750 (Silver) SOLD
15 Z Force 800 EPS

My Videos on You Tube