Mud in My Blood Forum banner

Viper vs Warn... Official Showdown Thread

22K views 38 replies 32 participants last post by  monksblood 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I've had warn winches on my trucks, never an atv. Warn was nothing but problems. The viper I have on my atv has been flawless and it gets abused. I use it more in the winter when I use the atv to plow. Plus, motoalliance CS is top notch. I had the rocker switch go bad, no questions asked, they sent me 2 new

#3 ·
I have had a Warn 2k and Warn 2.5k on my previous Quad.. They were crap and one has plastic carrier and metal gears and the other has metal carrier and plastic gears.. Viper is the best as far as quality I have heard and they have amazing customer service as I have seen on multiple threads.. I plan on buying Viper 4000lb here soon..

#4 ·
Warn ATV winches are absolute trash. I've had one on my 07 outty and it never worked. I had it rebuilt 2 times by warn themselves and it has never worked a single time.
I just bought a 2012 can am xmr that has another warn winch. The second time I use it, it doesn't reel in. The big freewheel knob stopped working. I tried turning it has to get it to engage and it comes off in my hand. So i was stuck with 30 feet of loose cable and the frewheel knob in my hand.
I wish I could meet with Warn management one day. I would slap the .... out of them. I've been left on the trail in mudholes more times than I could count.

The viper winch I had on my renegade was worth its weight in gold! That winch was an absolute animal. It never missed a beat. I will buy viper from now on every time.

#5 ·
ya ive heard nothing but great things from viper. deffinatley ill have a 3500 soon for my bike. plus we have them as a sponsor so the discount doesnt hurt either!!!

#6 ·
Viper all the way. Best customer service ther is and winches r strong.

FATBOYZ CUSTOMZ CREW

#7 ·
well I will be the first to say my viper sucked! haven't had a single problem out of my warn. I will never buy another viper. every time I rode it would quit working

"The ride says it all"

#8 ·
I had both and can't knock either the warn on my arctic cat was amazing for the most part and the viper on my brute I literally put through you know what and back...only thing I will say on viper is def seal the contactor as it is not waterproof like it says....if I buy another it will be a viper all the way.....customer service goes along way with me

the wetter the better

#9 ·
I'm pulling the factory Warn off my outty & putting my Viper back in it's place. - Three rides, maybe four uses & it already won't dis-engage for free spool & I've stalled it just sitting in floor-board deep stuff. My Viper has drug me through worse with a dead machine.

#10 ·
I wouldn't use a pos warn as a trot line wright, even if you gave it to me straight out of the box. Viper FTMFW!!!

Mud slinging' and COLD beer drinkin'

#11 ·
I never did have a problem at all with the Warn that came on my brute. It pulled my out of several holes and never left me hanging. Now, I have the Arctic Cat winch that came on my Mud Pro. I've heard they're garbage, so I'm sure I'll be making a winch purchase before long. Looks like everyone loves Viper!

#12 ·
My outty is a couple months old, the warn that it came with has been used roughly 4 times. - I'm pulling that POS off & putting my Viper on it.

Already stalled it in floorboard deep mud(Viper pulled me out of worse with a dead bike) and the disengagement for free-spool already doesn't release.

#13 ·
The 2500 warn on my dads brute has been junk since it was new. I have a 2500 warn on my brute and it has always been good to me up till the beginning of this year when the solenoid finally went out (after a little over 2 hard years of abuse). I have a brand spanking new viper max 4k for my gade....just need a bumper to mount it in

"Killing Time Using Tapatalk 2"

#14 ·
The older warns were complete trash, I've got the 2500 Ci and it's no good. It will work OK if you clean and repair it all the time.. lol.

Dads got a newer 3000 warn on his, I will say it does ok as far as working properly, but as said above free spool doesn't work. Other then it works fine and doesn't need to be cleaned.

My next winch will be a viper for sure though... you can see the quality compared to warn just looking at pics on the net.. All the people that back them up helps too :p.

#15 ·
I had a warn 2500 on my old brute and it was the best in the group I rode with. My buddies superwinch and one on an arctic cat mudpro were junk. my warn would drag dead machines out and wouldn't overheat and stop. But I did choose to put a Venom winch on my recently purchased 08 and love it so far!

#16 ·
Viper has certainly served me well. Their products and service are as advertised and they take a backseat to no one.

#17 ·
Question: I see some Viper winches advertised as being WIDE spool, anyone shed some light on waht this means or what the difference is?

#19 ·
i have not had any "working" trouble with my warn ..just some issues with the freespool knob, cleaned all the crud out of the inside of it , and all is good now . its pulled me out the hole alot. never had the other one so cant really say on it

#20 ·
The wide spool Vipers have 65' of line on them instead of 50'

#21 ·
I think wide spools also have different size synthetic rope... I am pretty sure its what I am buying next winches arr worth their weight in gold tired of not having one myselfMy buddies Warn drug me out of creek partially before killing his battery and completely quit working..But his jeep drug me the rest of way out and home lol.....Vipers are the best according to most and i can see customer service is amazing..

#23 ·
This is a little off topic but we should throw the xtreme winches in this mix im getting one and a few of my buddies have one got pulled out by a 3k on my bros can am saturday i was buried and he pulled me right out and with no help from the cat i was 0x4 at the time... it has a slow spool speed but will pull like hell

—————SIGNATURE—————
HIS

2010 MUD PRO
SOON TO BE 3.6
HMF & PC3
30" MUNKIES
CLUTCHWORK
RACKED

HERS/KIDS

2006 400M
SOON TO BE 4.0
EXAUST MOD
RACKED
JETTED
29.5 LAWS

#25 ·
Really the only difference between the Max and the Elite is the wireless remote... If you think you need the wireless remote get the Elite, if not, the Max is the way to go.

#26 ·
I just received my Viper MAx 3000 yestersday ( a day EARLIER then I was suppossed to!) and it looks like a quality unit. The freespool knob feels like it has definite "stops", the power and ground wire are HEAVY which implies they are quality, the snatch block is heavy as well. There's even grease on the four corners where it will be bolted to the mount plate. Overall, it appears like I made a good decision. We'll see how it is on the install and in use before I pass a final judgement though..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.