Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I'm a mechanical novice, so please bear with my ignorance, I'm trying.

02 Eiger LTA400 - 4wd Auto 400

Picked it up on the cheap due to assumed broken drive belt (motors starts, goes nowhere). Also has to be pull-started, seems starter is shot (or wiring is).

Pulled the cover off for the drive belt and definitely toast. Thing is he said he replaced not long ago, so suspicious of why it would break so quickly. He thought he had the wrong part, but looking at the part packaging, looks right to me (Dayco HP2027 - admittedly not highest quality belt, but still). I'm not an expert, but the primary and secondary do not seem to be lined up correctly? Any clues on this? Trying to upload pics to show...

http://postimage.org/image/2xm3yt03o/ - Broken Belt

http://postimage.org/image/2xnays0xw/ - Alignment

Help please!

Brian

·
Administrator
15,514 Posts
Yeah something doesnt look right there to me.... I've never seen inside of one so I can't say for sure about the eiger itself but, every other one I've seen lines up...

·
Resident Kitty Expert
791 Posts
the fixed plate on the primary looks to be misalligned... the rollers shouldnt be sideways like that. O and stock belt FTW on that clutch system. there should be a valley for the rollers that go from the center out. if the rollers arent lined up right under the fixed plate the primary isnt opening and closing like it should. pull the fixed plate and check the condition of the rollers. if they have flat spots on the plastic sleeve then they arent performing right and need to be replaced. remove the primary nut and make sure the splines in the middle of the fixed plate are lined up with the splines on the shaft.

·
Resident Kitty Expert
791 Posts
Also im assuming you know that to put the belt back on you need to remove the movable primary sheave and spread the secondary with one of the cvt cover bolts. (there are small threaded holes close to the center of the secondary)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts