Mud in My Blood Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st thread here boys and girls.. if these issues have already been covered please send me to the threads. Thanks

Just picked up my 1st Brute Force 750 and the quad has some issues....?

I have been reading up on here and will be doing the Buss Connector mod this weekend.. BUT??

1. The quad will not go into 4x4. on the gauge cluster it stays "2wd" the switch isn't doing nothing....! The front end doesn't engage. I checked

2. The speedometer stays on 0mph. forward, reverse, nothing...!

3. The seal on the front pumpkin seems to have a small leak.. How much of an issue is the leak gonna be?

Everything else seems to be just fine. All smiles from here.. This thing just doesn't stop wanting to go faster :bigok:

Thanks for all your help in advance.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Take the 4x4 switch apart and check for a broken wire inside of the switch.

I know a guy that didn’t like the 4x4 switch where it was on the handlebars because he would always bump it and accidently put his bike back in 2wd. He just cut the wires off at the switch and hooked them to a standard toggle switch and mounted it in an out of the way location on the fenders.

I’m not 100% sure if you can bypass the switch without cutting the wires but it can’t be too complicated.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
261 Posts
wrong info, you need a speed sensor to make your speedo work, then your 4x4 will/should work, it needs the speed reading to function!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wrong info, you need a speed sensor to make your speedo work, then your 4x4 will/should work, it needs the speed reading to function!
do you or anyone know the part number for that sensor by chance?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Does it just look good or did you test it somehow?

It sounds like you have some buss connector issues though. That’s probably what’s wrong with your 4wd. It’s always good to check your switches and stuff to make sure though.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
p/s: there are NO lights flashing at all.. it just doesn't work

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
:agreed:If the speedo is reading "0" then that will automatically make your 4x4 NOT work. It doesn't matter what you do test wise...if the speedometer does not register then the 4x4 will not engage. The speed sensor is located at the bottom of the motor on the right hand side of the bike....kinda behind the foot break pedal, and below the belt cover. Try unplugging the connector on it and just cleaning with contact cleaner and then apply some dielectric grease and see if it cures your problem....I have to do this to mine from time to time. If this does not make the speedo start working then you may need to replace it, or it could just be due the BUSS connectors being burned up. Also, check the bottom side of the fuse box for corrosion...this is a problem area on these brutes as well. I finally got tired of it and deleted the factory box all together and installed 4 waterproof fuse links in its place.
Hope this gets ya started, and Welcome to MIMB

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does it just look good or did you test it somehow?
the wires look good. I will be checking voltage tomorrow.. I'm trying to get a game plan tonight.

What readings should i get if it's not working?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:agreed:If the speedo is reading "0" then that will automatically make your 4x4 NOT work. It doesn't matter what you do test wise...if the speedometer does not register then the 4x4 will not engage. The speed sensor is located at the bottom of the motor on the right hand side of the bike....kinda behind the foot break pedal, and below the belt cover. Try unplugging the connector on it and just cleaning with contact cleaner and then apply some dielectric grease and see if it cures your problem.... Welcome to MIMB

does anyone have a pic of this? I have a pdf manual, would this sensor's location be pictured there maybe?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I forgot that the speedometer has to be functioning for the 4x4 to work. You have to get the speedometer working and then if the 4x4 won’t work you should start trouble shooting 4x4 specific parts.

Don’t remove the speed sensor entirely unless you are planning on changing the oil. It has oil behind it and it’ll drain the engine when you remove the sensor. Only disconnect the electrical connector. Some people have tilted their bike on its side to prevent the oil loss but tilting it isn’t worth the hassle and can lead to serious issue and injuries if you’re not careful.

I’m searching for that part number right now. I’ll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot that the speedometer has to be functioning for the 4x4 to work. You have to get the speedometer working and then if the 4x4 won’t work you should start trouble shooting 4x4 specific parts.

Don’t remove the speed sensor entirely unless you are planning on changing the oil. It has oil behind it and it’ll drain the engine when you remove the sensor. Only disconnect the electrical connector. Some people have tilted their bike on its side to prevent the oil loss but tilting it isn’t worth the hassle and can lead to serious issue and injuries if you’re not careful.

I’m searching for that part number right now. I’ll let you know what I find.
You guys are beyond AWESOME!!!!! I can't believe the responses this fast... I'll be waiting :agreed:

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
does anyone have a pic of this? I have a pdf manual, would this sensor's location be pictured there maybe?
Here you go sir

Fueling The Addiction Using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey Filthy,
Can you help interpret this into layman’s terms for everybody? I saw that you had posted in the thread that I got this picture from.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks filthyredneck... I've got gorilla hands and can't get it off. so i will probably take the sensor out (and change the oil too) tomorrow morning. Hope it works

BTW filthyredneck.. Dayton isn't TOO far from Silsbee/beaumont area. we're not too far from each other

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't find the part number for the life of me. Here's one for $50 though.

if i have to replace it... I'll pm you with my shipping info.. I can't find the number either but i will see:agreed:

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Hey Filthy,
Can you help interpret this into layman’s terms for everybody? I saw that you had posted in the thread that I got this picture from.
Its pretty straightforward really, unless you just don't understand the diagram. This is the plug for the actuator controller under the seat (smaller black box with only one big plug on it)....unplug this, and hook your tester (I use a Fluke meter) positive(+) to the #5 terminal and negative(-) to the #10 terminal and turn the key on and spin the rear wheels while the bike is jacked up off the ground....it will read out a voltage and as long as its within the specified range the sensor is good... dunno if thats layman's terms...but its the best I think of lol.

Thanks filthyredneck... I've got gorilla hands and can't get it off. so i will probably take the sensor out (and change the oil too) tomorrow morning. Hope it works

BTW filthyredneck.. Dayton isn't TOO far from Silsbee/beaumont area. we're not too far from each other
Be sure to drain the oil BEFORE removing the sensor bud...if not you'll have a big mess on the shop floor. (I made that mistake my first time I pulled it) ....As far as Dayton, well I live off of Hwy 321 in Tarkington, but since most people have never heard of it I just say Dayton since its only about 20 mins up the road and its where I grew up. I'm close to Hwy 105...only about 5 miles up the road from me, so depending on where exactly your at then 105 would be a straight shot to my house almost.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If it's a 05-07 and you have the same pdf manual I do, look at page 214.

Or better yet it's located right behind the return spring for the foot brake. R/H side.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts