Mud in My Blood Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Here's what I found on cycle central powersports....
SENSOR,SPEED 21176-1104
Kind of a pain, but found it. For anybody that goes looking for it, its listed under parts for the ignition system.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I believe the voltage should repeatedly be between 0-5v bud. Its been quite a while since I tested mine (like probably about a year or so) and so I don't remember exactly what it was. Some of the other guys on here are a little more knowledgeble in this area than myself....I try to help as much as I can, but there are still some grey areas for me :bigok:

*Just an example of why I say 0-5v.... if you look at page 17-78 (the very next thing after testing the speed sensor) It tells you how to test the 2wd/4wd shift switch and the standard for that: ....about 5 v ....so repeat from 0-5v, I think the voltage changes while you roll the tires.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well Good-nite and i'll fill y'all in on what i find out tomorrow... thanks again..... STAY TUNED!!!!! lol

·
Backwoodz Boggerz
1,580 Posts
i would chech the buss connector ,an repair it ,just might cure all your problems

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Not to throw a cog in any ones wheel but mine when the sped-o was out , It was the harness..do you have any other bad readings like your gas gauge not reading properly. The guys here have been through everything and will help you out, just want to make sure you are not throwing money in the wrong direction. the most common parts to fail are Harness, Potentiometer(actuator), and the controller. you are on the right track,get some good readings 1st. make sure to have a full battery b4 testing. Also there is a way to test your sensor in the book.

·
Administrator
15,557 Posts
Great job jumping in here everyone! :bigok:

and Welcome TxDad!

·
Backwoodz Boggerz
1,580 Posts
i think everyone hear has had a problem with the 4wd system on there brute at 1 time or another, i personally spent around 500.00$ trying to get mine fixed , would have cost more , but i had a spare controller (fried it also)an the $ amount does not include all the time i spent trouble shooting the system. was ready to sell it an get a (choke) a honda, then i found a thread (from head c1 ) manual 4wd conversion (byrd also has a thread on hear thats shows it step by step),any way thats the path i took, after several mods to the system headc1 showed, i ended up with this, now i have no intentions of being a (choke) honda rider. i know that this is not for everyone, but i will never spend countless hrs an money trying to get the factory system to operate agian, but keep the good advice comming guys, an get this guy going agian

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yep manual is the way to go unless you don't mind blowing money. Question?? Before I try it, how do you disable the darn flashing indicator.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well I put the key in this morning and all was normal.... Then I hit the start button and everything just went dead...!!!!! Checked all the fuses, all good there?????? I'm bout to take the plastics off and do the buss connector mod right now... Will be checking periodically till that mod is done for further advice.. Thanks again

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
By everything do you mean EVERYTHING or just the speedo etc.? Did the bike start or is it completely dead now?
Completely dead!!!! I'm doing buss mod and the connector had green build up inside it so I know it needs to be done but I still have the bike apart right now. Headed to o'rielly's for some stuff and will be back shortly

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Definitely sounds like the BUSS is your problem....or at least your main one. Just FYI, I'm guessing that you are working on the rear one above the gas tank right now.... Its the most common problem, but its not the only BUSS connector on the 05s. Theres more of that junk up toward the front, however I have not fixed any of those yet so I can't disclose the exact location of them. I'd be willin to bet that Rmax or one of the other guys thats been following this thread knows though. Just figured that since you've got it all apart you may want to do em all. Also, the manual 4wd that Rmax has pictured up....I run that system on my brute, very happy with it, and no more electronic BS to mess with. I deleted the KEBC as well the other electrical issues that are associated with the 4wd, honestly seems like I work on mine alot less now....just sayin.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
WELL BOYS,,,,,,,,, I did the buss mod and all is working lol :bigok:

I truly can't thank y'all enough :35: :You_Rock_Emoticon:
I mean everything: speedo, 4x4, all of it!!!!!

Thanks again

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Holy c***p this thing is addictive lol :bigok:

Thanks again to all

·
Administrator
15,557 Posts
glad you got it working

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
:mimbrules::welcome:and now you know.....;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
That’s awesome that you got it up and running again! Do you have any mods to the bike yet? That’s the next step.

You’ll also need the repair manual if you don’t have it already. You can subscribe to the site (it’s $15 for 5 years) and then you’ll have access to download the repair manuals for almost every Kawasaki in existence and tons of other ATV’s too. It’s the best $15 I’ve ever spent for the Brute and it’s already paid for itself 10 times over.

As a subscribing member you can go back and delete your own threads too. This is extremely helpful when the Brute won’t start and you post a thread about how pissed you are and how you’ve checked everything then you realize the kill switch was in the “off” position. You can just delete the entire thread and act like nothing happened.

Here’s the link to the subscription page.

http://www.mudinmyblood.net/forum/payments.php

You should also check out the oil filter cross reference thread. There are close to 50 common car and motorcycle oil filters that will work on the Brute. This will save you $5-7 and some hassle every time you change your oil.

Here’s the link to the oil filter thread.

http://www.mudinmyblood.net/forum/showthread.php?t=999&highlight=oil+filter

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well the next mod is MIMB snorkel :) headed to Lowe's right now to get some PVC!

I will be subscribing very soon!!!! The info on this site has already saved me $400 on the purchase price for the quad.. And I owe that to this forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
wrong info, you need a speed sensor to make your speedo work, then your 4x4 will/should work, it needs the speed reading to function!
I forgot that the speedometer has to be functioning for the 4x4 to work. You have to get the speedometer working and then if the 4x4 won’t work you should start trouble shooting 4x4 specific parts.

Don’t remove the speed sensor entirely unless you are planning on changing the oil. It has oil behind it and it’ll drain the engine when you remove the sensor. Only disconnect the electrical connector. Some people have tilted their bike on its side to prevent the oil loss but tilting it isn’t worth the hassle and can lead to serious issue and injuries if you’re not careful.

I’m searching for that part number right now. I’ll let you know what I find.
Men a i have the same problem. My 4wd is flashing and my speedometer is not working. Until now i know that my speed sensor could be the problem.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts