Mud in My Blood Forum banner

05 Brute Project

7K views 65 replies 6 participants last post by  MxRacer527 
#1 · (Edited)
After a few trades my dad ended up with an 05 Brute Force 750. The guy he got it from said he was riding it up his driveway and it just died. The guy had just "had the heads reworked" prior to this happening. He said he pulled the side cover off and confirmed it jumped time then he needed a vehicle and traded it for an old car of my dads.

My dad had this thing for something like 6 months and I finally asked him if I could just buy it from him and fix it for myself to which he just gives it to me. I drove 5 hours up to get it and one speeding ticket later I have myself a dogged out brute force that is now my project to turn into a reliable machine.

It came with a 2" highlifter lift, a gorilla rad relocate, not sure what clutch springs and weights but is one of the vpi kits, a moose module, and the rims say superatv on the hubcaps. Along with that it came with about a 1/4" thick layer of mud.....on everything.

After bringing it home on Sunday, I have stripped the thing down, every piece of plastic down to the bare frame. Also taking the motor out in the process. Then I pressure washed all of the mud off of everything and now have a clean brute(aside from the motor but that's a different story).

So the bike came with a motor that had already had the process of taking apart started, which is a pain and I'm sorry for anyone else that goes through this. It came with a bucket full of rusty bolts and parts that I'm going to have to replace..... but I now have the motor off and confirmed the timing was definitely off and have now ordered the chains and guides for it along with a new battery. Supposedly setting the time would have had this thing started, so putting new components in should prove it a reliable motor. I hope. It too has a layer of dirt on it but since it came with the side cover off I'm afraid to clean it until I get it back together.

All of my parts should be here Thursday so hopefully I can at least get this thing started this weekend.

So far my list of goals for this thing are the following(in order):
1. Replace timing chains and guides and put motor together.
2. Get replacements for all stripped, rusted, and missing hardware.
3. Replace all axle boots and right rear axle which has a broken CV cage I think is what it's called?(supposedly have all parts needed to fix it in my bucket)
4. Put all new fluids including radiator, diffs, and motor. Maybe brakes.
5. Eventually get all things greased up.
5 and 1/2. Dielectric grease electronics
6. Snorkel
7. Rims and Tires
8. Exhaust
9. Lights and Audio

This list is definitely subject to change as I find new things wrong with it as I'm sure they are limitless with this thing sitting for so long.

If you have any questions or anything let me know. I'm going to TRY to get pictures of everything along the way and keep them posted. Never really worked with anything inside of a motor so this should definitely be interesting. Most I've ever done is build a pit bike with a bought motor. But all components of that thing just bolted on.

I'm sure all of this was long to read, but thanks for taking the time. Also not sure if this is even the correct place to post this but it seemed right.
Pictures are in reverse order from getting it to now.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Download a service manual for an 05 - 07 750 . It will be one of the best investments you make for this project . You can become a member here for around 9 dollars , and will have ACESS to a service manual from this site .

#6 ·
I hope it didn't have a value strike when it jumped time also being a 05 you need to look for the rear buss connector to confirm the mod has be done (threads on here about it) being a old murder it probably has been done already the best cure for 05&06 wiring is to get a 07 wording harness gets rid of all 3 connectors

#7 ·
Awesome man yeah it does have the buss connector mod but it was definitely poorly done and there are a ton of loose wires all over the place. Everything seems to check out fine except the fact I'm not getting spark... Guess I'm going to just get a new wiring harness and redo the whole thing just because of how bad it is now. Other than that tough, she is ready to go as soon as I get the wiring straightened out.

#12 ·
I think I would look for another wire harness - someone really hacked into that one . And this is why we need service manuals . Removing and installing a new wire harness isn't real hard to do . In your situation,you may need to mark and trace those hacked wires to see where they go and check them with the electrical schematic .

#14 ·
#15 ·
Thanks a lot! I've been talking to Brute 840 a lot and have already ordered stuff from him, he has been a big help and giving me some great deals on things, he has a harness I'm going to get from him. Maybe I can have this thing running before too long. :hmmm:

#17 ·
Okay I need someones's help. I got this wiring harness installed and everything seems good but I still have no spark. Checked the voltage on my bike down sensor and it's good. Could it still be something with timing? Pretty sure I got it right but I'm not claiming to be perfect. Kind of confused on the coil testing? Is there anything obvious I could be missing?

#18 ·
Id take a volt meter to one of the coils , and check to see if voltage is being sent anytime to one of the coils .

#19 ·
Yeah both of them have over 12 volts when i put the leads on both of the poles going into the coils. Does this mean I have bad coils? I just don't see this being the issue if it was running and just died out of nowhere.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

I just want to get this thing running so I cant start riding it. I suck with having patience.

#20 ·
Do the coil test procedure from the manual , check the spark plug boot resistors to see if they are bad . I think the boot resistors are 5 K ohms , mine read at 1.5Kohms and still work , but with them in the boots , the quad runs horrible . I went with the spark plug wire/boot mod .

#22 ·
Well then she is probably running like poop too . Do the belt light reset procedure for now to correct that - keep in mind when doing the belt light reset procedure , you should also check the belt trip switch in the belt cover , to insure the switch is positioned to the rear of the quad .

#23 ·
as of now, there is no belt cover even on the quad. will it not get spark without it on? And to reference that it is probably running like poop, it isn't, because it isn't getting any spark for me to know how it is running. hahaha and also on the belt cover, the two wires coming out of the top are stripped at the end with no plug on them. :thinking::bigeyes:

#24 ·
The two wires would be the belt trip switch wires - I believe you can wire nut the two wires for now . With those two wires hanging out in the breeze , the 2wd/4wd light will be flashing and put the engine into limp mode - Hence connect those wires together and do a belt light reset . Even with all that the way it is , the engine should still fire . The front and rear cams are different and must be installed properly to get her to run right . If you are getting voltage to the coils , did you check the plug boot resistors yet and ohm them out to see if they are good ?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...l4CAAg&usg=AFQjCNFt0n4KBYCCE-TkhlCc8v8ya6ycGg

#25 ·
I'll have to look at it when I get home but I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have both colored plugins... and my multimeter doesn't test resistance so I just bought more coils, and a bunch of other stuff. If it doesn't work then, I guess either my camshaft sensor is messed up or timing is still off. Then I will go back to that, but for now it can't hurt to go ahead and replace all of this stuff. I just don't know that I could trust what is on there now once I get out on a trail. With everything replace, at least I can know I can trust it.

#26 ·
Alright so I know whatever answer I get to this question isn't going to be what I want to here. I have replaced every single electrical thing on this four wheeler except the stator and crank sensor. Literally. CDI, coils, wiring harness, big waste of money, still no spark. Took the cover back off and when I'm turning the motor over by hand getting this weird squeaking noise in front and back cylinders? What is it? MxRacer527 - MudInMyBlood on Vimeo listen in between the clicks. Also my flywheel seems to spin like it has a little bit of a bend in it almost like a crooked bike tire. Is that a big deal? Definitely in need of help...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.