Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently bought a 06 brute force 650i and was out riding it this weekend and was helping to pull a friends Rasor out of a hole when the front end started to click loudlly. After we got him out my brute force drove fine when in two wheel drive. Later in the day I dropped into a hole myself myself and needed the 4 wheel drive but the clicking started again. After I got out I tried driving in 4 wheel but there was not clicking even when turning. Thought maybe u-joint or differential lock? Any ideas?

thanks
Dayle

·
Registered
226 Posts
my 05 does that when in four wheel drive right when i switch into 4 wheel it will click but after that it stops i think its the diff slipping

·
Dirty White Boy
14 Posts
My 09 750 does it as well. It happens when I am in the muck and already stuck. I flip the 4WD switch and it acts like it doesn't want to engage and makes a sickly loud snap/click sound as it tries to engage. If I rock back and force slowly, it might sometimes engages and sometimes not. . I find that If i engage into 4wd BEFORE I get stuck, all is good and it slips into 4WD with no problems and pulls through just about anything. I talked to my dealer about it but they played dumb. They said to bring it in and they would look at it. I did and they said they couldn't reproduce the problem. Of course not, they don't have a mud bog behind their shop. I have no idea what is going on with it but for dam sure, I went and bought an official Kawasaki extended warranty for 5 years on the bike. The dealer wanted $800 bucks. Buying on ebay saved about half the cost of buying from my dealership. That loud snap/clicking certainly sounds like something is gonna "SNAP" and break. Front differential work is mighty expensive when you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
are you using the front diff lock lever? if you are then thats your problem it needs to be tightened up. it is slipping

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the first time this started happening I was using the diff lock lever but it will click if I have the diff lock pulled or not. I have noticed a couple of clicks every now and then when I take off from a dead stop. I thought mayby this was from the super diggers that were on it but now I am wondering if it is something else.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
:( :( OMG! I CANT BELIEVE IM READING WHAT IM READING! :( :(

these front diffs should NOT be engaged after you are stuck. they must be rolling to engage. the popping you are hearing after you engage it while stuck is really really bad. this is #1 reason for front diff failure on a brute.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
They were meant for a rolling engage between 2-10 mph no more no less the couplers will become burred after only once or twice then the problem becomes persistent you have to dissasemble them and deburr them to resolve it IF you get really lucky and it doesent bust the rear end like Phree said

·
Registered
210 Posts
:( :( OMG! I CANT BELIEVE IM READING WHAT IM READING! :( :(

these front diffs should NOT be engaged after you are stuck. they must be rolling to engage. the popping you are hearing after you engage it while stuck is really really bad. this is #1 reason for front diff failure on a brute.
:agreed: I saw this happen this past weekend. Random guy stuck in a brute... And he was VERY stuck.. He goes to flip it to 4wd and GUNS IT! POP!!! It was like a fork on a chalk board.. Diff was done. If it looks like a bad hole, don't try and show off in 2wd then engage 4wd when stuck. At that point your better off just getting pulled out in 2wd.

I engage anytime I'm coming up on a nasty hole. A guy who rides with us is a technician, he says tearing *** through deep thick mud in 2wd also increases your chances of snapping an axle.

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
491 Posts
^^^^Take this as the gospel I've seen it happen to a friend of mine who knew better but was half drunk and in the heat of the moment had his head up his azz. He did exactly what Txn Aviator said stuck in 2wd wheels spinning and tried to engage 4wd.......about a 2200 dollar (at the stealership) mistake, minimum 800 fixing it yourself and finding a used diff.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
First ride on the mistress i forgot to engage 4wd and ended up in the middle of a HUGE mud hole stuck in mud and had to be pulled out :haha: I was also used to a full time 4wd quad , one time i was fightin my way out of a hole and my thumb bumped the switch back to 2 wd had to pulled out with my front tires on dry ground!!!

·
SAY I WON'T!!!
997 Posts
Definitely wanna put it in 4WD LOW BEFORE you get in the hole!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any one know where i might find info on disassembling the diffs and deburring them?

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Not the diffs the slip connector where it switches from 2 to 4 wd just a male and female spline joint

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I noticed something after riding the last time. The inner CV joint on the right side of the bike looks kinda twisted. Any idea on how hard it will be to rebuild a cv joint and any know where I could find the parts?
Thanks
Dayle

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
You mean the boot is twisted? as far as rebuilding them its easy Parts are prob avail. thru kawie or EPI

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah I ment boot, I guess my mind was moving faster than my fingers could type.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
If you just want to replace the boot and give the joint a good cleaning and regreasing, go buy the universal boot at autozone.
You cut it to fit, looks great, fits perfectly and is more pliable than the stock boot.
Make sure you have a cv boot band tool to tighten the bands that come with it else be careful removing the stock bands and reuse them. that's what i did :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
if its leaking grease, fix it now. otherwise you will be rebuilding the CV joint by the end of the summer or even sooner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts