Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got an 07 650i. I have a leak on the seal from the drive shaft to the engine. My drive shaft would not compress so I had to unbolt the rear diff to get it out of the engine. Since I’ve got it apart I wanted to replace the seal from the back of the drive shaft to the diff. My protis that the drive shaft won’t pull out of the diff. Should it just yank out or is there some type of retainer holding it in?

·
7,319 Posts
The yokes on either end are just on splines. So is the slide section with a spring pushing either end apart and onto the other splines. Soak it a while with some WD or PB. Then start tapping around and away. It should slide off. Clean it well and grease it...all of them...before reinstalling. Pay attention to how the yokes are positioned on either end when taking the center apart. Has to go back the same way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The yokes on either end are just on splines. So is the slide section with a spring pushing either end apart and onto the other splines. Soak it a while with some WD or PB. Then start tapping around and away. It should slide off. Clean it well and grease it...all of them...before reinstalling. Pay attention to how the yokes are positioned on either end when taking the center apart. Has to go back the same way.
Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts