Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried to fix the output shaft seal today. FIRST, i threaded the oil drain plug wrong. so i went to NAPA got a 1/2 inch tap and bolt and a washer with a rubber center....
THEN, i replaced the REAR output shaft seal with my new one....rode the bike for 5 minutes to have it leaking AGAIN!

so, my questions are....
can i tap the oil drain a little bigger again?

and, am i going to have to buy another output shaft seal?
is it possible

BEFORE

AFTER

i know the pic is blurry but is it possible i put it in to far?
aren't you supposed to go until it bottoms out on the case? or flush with the outside?

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
doh.
about the oil seal... Sorry bro, you got that one in too far. You need to tap it in flush with the case.

as far as tapping the oil drain ive seen those up to 7/8th. cgenterprises sells the oversize plugs if u cant get them locally.

also you could use a toggle plug. ive used them on vehicles before with no leaks

·
Banned
384 Posts
I've used a oversize selftapping plug on mine. You have to be careful and get it in there straight The last person I suggested this to didn't and cracked his case. So use with care if you decide to.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
**edit** ^^^^ sorry... missed your post, i think it was my own fault the oil plug leaks. when i tried to drill it with the recommended drill bit (cant remember off hand), it didnt "cut" anything....but i still got shavings coming off of the tap...so i guess it wasnt big enough (1/2)..

wow 7/8!
today was a bad day my friend....
so im going to have to buy another output shaft seal aren't I.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i second that. you probably wont be able to get that seal out without nicking or damaging it in some way

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i figured that. i TRASHED the original one trying to get that one out. since this one is in the whole way (to far) it should be fun....
sucks because cheapcycle parts took FOREVER to get me my seal....now i gotta wait again.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K,
i fixed the oil drain.
NOW i got a new problem,
im 99.9% sure i got all the shavings out...i flushed it ALOT and double checked it all. got new oil and got the drain fixed. so i rode around the yard today and noticed a little lack of power..:34:
i hoping that maybe the belt is slipping and not what i think it is.
what steps can i take (before the compression check) to see if i missed a thread or shaving??
it dont sound different in anyway and seems like it wants to go like hell but the front end wont come up like it did before this all happened...

does it sound like what i think it is???
please NOOOO!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts