Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forum. I have a 2005 Brute force 650 that I recently picked up for $800. Dont know anything about it other then it lost compression. I just recently rebuilt the top end. I started it up and it fired fine. I let it warm up and then went to drive it and it will not move. It goes into gear fine, but makes a grinding noise. Not like grinding the gear but like something is loose grinding and it will not move. I also noticed the MPH goes up as if it was moving... I clicked the 4x2/4x4 switch and put it in 4x4. For some reason I figured id try it in 4x4. It moved fine both forward and reverse. I put it back in 2x4 and same thing, wouldnt move. I dont know much about the driveline of this quad but it sounds almost as if there is two pulleys and whatever runs between the two is off..But it is weird that the thing moves in 4x4... Also, I checked the rear diff oil and it was bone dry. I fill with some oil and noticed it all pouring on the ground. There is a small hole in the bottom of the diff. Would not having any fluid in the rear end cause this or what could it be? :thinking:

·
Backwoodz Boggerz
1,580 Posts
ring an pinion could be worn out from lack of oil

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Yeah I'm going to say the rear gear box is trashed or you have two broken rear axles. That should be evident though. I assume this is a 650i. You can also put it in neutral and grab the driveline to the rear and give it a turn. If it turns...well it shouldn't

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think its trashed to. Looks like ill be searching for a bike thats being parted out! Thanks for all your helps guys

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Not sure where you're located, but one of the facebook groups I'm a member of is parting out a 650 prairie in North East Pennsylvania. If you're interested, PM me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also agree that your diff is probably shot. Easy to diagnose; put it in 4wd, turn off key, raise back end and try to turn rear wheels. if they turn, you're diff or driveshaft is the problem. I have a spare one for sale, but you should be able to find one fairly close to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts