Mud in My Blood Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advise on an ATV I recent purchased. It’s a brute force 650 solid rear axle. I finally got the got the engine running good and went to take her on her maiden voyage but i realized the rear drive shaft was spinning but it wasn’t turning the wheels. After messing with the drive shaft it wasn’t connect to the rear diff. I could get the drive shaft seated properly and get the wheels to turn but I can move it back and forward by hand it almost seems like the shaft is too short. I pulled the rear diff and did a quick inspection to make sure the spring is in good condition and splines all around were good. Any thoughts on what this could be?

·
Super Moderator
7,561 Posts
In addition to what I said on BC, move the brake lever and rotate the tires back and forth a little and watch that shaft. If it moves...at all..in and out...there is an issue with the pinion bearings or it's retainer....and now the brake disks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In addition to what I said on BC, move the brake lever and rotate the tires back and forth a little and watch that shaft. If it moves...at all..in and out...there is an issue with the pinion bearings or it's retainer....and now the brake disks.
yup, the only other possibility i can think of is that spring has compressed and is missing an inch or more of length from what it should be.
if thats the case you can do a quick and dirty test by putting a few fender washers under the spring before you insert it to give it that inch or so back, if that works and fixes it then ya your spring got compressed from age, gotta get a new one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts