Mud in My Blood Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day Gents,
I've got an 08 brute force 650.
Its got a bad bottom end knock - I know 0 about converting/swapping cylinders over to 750, who can tell me the best kit including a crank to buy and what's involved in the conversion from 650 to 750 or if any modifications are needed? Hoping its a straight bolt up kit.
Any special tools needed?

Thanks in advance from Australia!
Paul.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
There will be no straight conversion kits to take a 650 to a 750 as (we've been told) the 750 jugs won't fit the 650 lower case without machining and the 650 case won't take the 750 crank without a thrust bearing replacement and reset. It's all been done but it isn't cheap. If yours is a 650i it might be cheaper just to fins a complete 750i carbed engine and swap it out complete. It will just bolt into your frame as is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply NMKawierider
Sourcing secondhand engines or parts in Aus for these bikes is hard.

How big of a job is a full rebuild for someone with half an idea and a shed full of tools?

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
Thanks for the reply NMKawierider
Sourcing secondhand engines or parts in Aus for these bikes is hard.

How big of a job is a full rebuild for someone with half an idea and a shed full of tools?
Well...if the shed had everything you needed to not only to do all of the R&R but to check all the parts specs and do it cleanly, and you don't mind buying or borrowing the special tools needed and has a machine shop close by for the machine work (Boring,decking, rod reconditioning, valve job...ect)...and of course a full shop manual and access to parts...sure, anything's possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well...if the shed had everything you needed to not only to do all of the R&R but to check all the parts specs and do it cleanly, and you don't mind buying or borrowing the special tools needed and has a machine shop close by for the machine work (Boring,decking, rod reconditioning, valve job...ect)...and of course a full shop manual and access to parts...sure, anything's possible.
Any suggestions on a manual to purchase?
Machine shop no issue, ive got a flywheel puller and primary removal tool.
Will be purchasing a full rebuild kit for this, rather than using older components - the bike has 20,000kms on it.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
Any suggestions on a manual to purchase?
Machine shop no issue, ive got a flywheel puller and primary removal tool.
Will be purchasing a full rebuild kit for this, rather than using older components - the bike has 20,000kms on it.
Is this an 2008 SRA or IRS 650? And with 20,000kms are you sure the frame isn't showing fatigued areas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts