Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions or options. 2009 Brute force was on a short trip in cool weather. Did a total of 5 miles at about 20mph. had the kids on with me. I am 99% sure the rear breaks were stuck on and boiled oil out the vent. Had oil shoot on the bottom of the air box. I know both my cables are shot. What are my options for the brakes? Change oil and cables and drain oil after short run to see what comes out? Or change brakes for sure? If so can it be done in the bike? Any thoughts would be appreciated/ Thanks.

·
7,462 Posts
Looking for opinions or options. 2009 Brute force was on a short trip in cool weather. Did a total of 5 miles at about 20mph. had the kids on with me. I am 99% sure the rear breaks were stuck on and boiled oil out the vent. Had oil shoot on the bottom of the air box. I know both my cables are shot. What are my options for the brakes? Change oil and cables and drain oil after short run to see what comes out? Or change brakes for sure? If so can it be done in the bike? Any thoughts would be appreciated/ Thanks.
Well, #1, yes, the brake friction plates and spacers are now toast and will have to be replaced to regain full braking. However, there may be some life left..but don't expect any but do change oil, cables and adjust. If they stick on or the lever has to be manualy pulled back, that means the cam plate is rotating out of the ramps and that means there is no more adjustment. Replacement of all the disks is required. If you remove the driveline and all the mount bolts and can turn the pinion end up about 10 degrees, you can remove the end cap and replace all the parts without fully removing the gear case. However it's a bit of a bitch unless you have a lift or table you can put the machine on.

This video Might give you some insight as to what you are in for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I took a quick look at lunch and it appears that one of the exterior cams if siezed in position. I cannot move it with out some force. any thoughts on that? Also if I get it freed up, can I just unhook the cables and run front brakes only? any issues other than braking power?I am the only driver and it see very little use. Thoughts?

·
7,462 Posts
So I took a quick look at lunch and it appears that one of the exterior cams if siezed in position. I cannot move it with out some force. any thoughts on that? Also if I get it freed up, can I just unhook the cables and run front brakes only? any issues other than braking power?I am the only driver and it see very little use. Thoughts?
Back both cables way-off or remove them and see if you can pull the arm back. Its probably going beyond the travel limits. Yeah, with it not applying pressure it will turn free and backed-off enough it won't re-engauge. You can run it but know you only have the front brakes and the engine brake to slow and stop you until fixed. Should be no problem...I used to just use the fronts and engine brake because I didn't EVER want to have to replace those wet brake disks. The front pads were would be a lot easier. Funny thing was...in almost 6000 miles I still had about half the pads left on front, and the rear wet brake was still like new as I never had to adjust it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back both cables way-off or remove them and see if you can pull the arm back. Its probably going beyond the travel limits. Yeah, with it not applying pressure it will turn free and backed-off enough it won't re-engauge. You can run it but know you only have the front brakes and the engine brake to slow and stop you until fixed. Should be no problem...I used to just use the fronts and engine brake because I didn't EVER want to have to replace those wet brake disks. The front pads were would be a lot easier. Funny thing was...in almost 6000 miles I still had about half the pads left on front, and the rear wet brake was still like new as I never had to adjust it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I backed the cables off. Had to move the foot brake assembly manual by hand. I cannot move that assembly at all. The brake is off I can move the bike freely. What would cause the brake assembly to be so hard or almost impossible to move?

·
7,462 Posts
So I backed the cables off. Had to move the foot brake assembly manual by hand. I cannot move that assembly at all. The brake is off I can move the bike freely. What would cause the brake assembly to be so hard or almost impossible to move?
Normally it's the cables that rust-up but in some cases the cam plate or actuator arm get warped or bent..or just damaged somehow. Of course trash and debris from those burning diaks can fill the ramp tracks and cause all kinds of issues. Just have to take it apart and see someday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts