Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I picked up a 2012 brute 650 that caught fire from the carbs. After hearing the guys story and looking at the bike after I got it home I have my assumptions. Oh well I picked it up for $100 so not like it hurt me to get, could make my money back easy with the good parts or even the tires/wheels. After pulling the motor and cleaning it up I have decided to fix the bike. Motor had a catch and after pulling the heads I discovered some rust at the top of both cylinders. I’m hoping for and easy clean up and it be fine but am prepared for the worst. I will post the progress as I go in this thread wish me luck guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Administrator
15,356 Posts
she looks pretty sad! good luck on getting her back together! Will be interested to following along w/ your build.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Located a parts bike guy said I can have anything I want off of it plus cylinders for my 750 for my crf 450r dirt bike. Gonna go over there in a few and start pulling parts!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made good progress today. Got all of the melted plastic off of everything, buffed the rust off of the frame, and painted it up so hopefully no rust. Found all the hoses and most of the little parts that got burned up. Still trying to locate carbs, air box, screen, wiring harness, and plastics. Starting to look like a nice bike again.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t think it caused any structural issues. The most heat looked to be on the shifter bracket and handlebars. Literally melted the aluminum in those places.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This morning I finished salvaging anything good out of the burnt parts and did away with the bad. Installed new handle bars and got brakes working and installed the shifter. Starting to look like a bike again. I think I’m gonna try to salvage the carbs. Won’t know until I open them up.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update. Had to put the project on hold to go back to work. I’ll be ordering parts soon and hope they are waiting on me when I get back from Wyoming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts