Mud in My Blood Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Progress report:

Took the whole front right apart, I'm doing one side at a time start to finish. This way I won't lose any bolts, misplace any parts, or forget anything.

First I'll start off with the boots, the front boots are EMPI-86-2453D and the rears are 86-2404D, props to JPS300 for the part numbers

That is what is included in the EMPI kit

Front's on the left, rears on the right

Front all apart

Clamp tools, the top one is for the EMPI clamps, the bottom is the Rhino Clamps (which I COULD NOT reuse BTW). They were too big for the empi boots, which means they are thinner rubber at the cup.

The EMPI boots feel much stronger, do not stretch nearly as much, and are a lot thicker at the ribs (which is where rhino's break)

Tool being used for rhino clamps

Repeat x 4 and then pound off the outer joint to get the boots off

This is my CV axle hammer, non marring

Put some more grease in there!

Rhino on the right, EMPI on the left

All done

I'll get some more work done tomorrow, but time has been really short!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got some more work done!

Don't mind the axle angle, it's at full full droop just checking the boots. The way I had to do the boots was take off the inner bar clamp and let the boots go out more. They were too scrunched before, the clamp was hitting the rubber.

When I was doing the rear, I discovered a little problem...

There is a little metal tube inside of the rear trailing arm where the bearing goes, it is TOO SMALL for the trailing arm bolt. So I used a piece of all thread, it's fine..works great and it's the perfect size. Sure it's not AS strong, but I don't forsee any issues. No movement and it was actually tight even before I torqued it down.

I left the clamps off the rear until I get the ride height figured out!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The other day all my stuff from powder coat got done (this was the hold up!)

Did work today! No issues what-so-ever. Not gonna need the 2" wheel spacers

Still have a ton to do including adjusting the suspension but everything fit and it's off jack stands, which was the goal for today!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Its powder coat. It will eventually chip off but I'm not too worried

Should be wrenching instead of using Tapatalk...

·
Registered
135 Posts
If it ever chips off you could put that rubberized bed liner on it. That would hold up a little better than paint. Looks sick though. Wish I could afford to build something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much GC do you have with the lift and those tires? Also how much clearance between the tires and rear of the floorboards?

I am going to lift mine. I dunno if I want a 4" or 6" because I want to be able to crank my shocks back down a little for it to ride smoother but I still want to be able to clear 32's.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
How much GC do you have with the lift and those tires? Also how much clearance between the tires and rear of the floorboards?

I am going to lift mine. I dunno if I want a 4" or 6" because I want to be able to crank my shocks back down a little for it to ride smoother but I still want to be able to clear 32's.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk
Haven't adjusted my shocks yet so haven't measured. I will be working on it tomorrow though.

I had the 6" on my gade and I hated how the boots rubbed on the front. I turned it down to like a 4.5 or 5".

The 4" is perfect, I would go for it again without hesitation. 32's will fit even with a bracket lift and extended trailing arms!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Finished the bike a few weeks ago

I broke both rear shocks on the first ride! NO good, getting commander shocks

I have commander shocks on the way!

·
Registered
236 Posts
wow that a hell of a build... so did you ever put the compressor back in or just say fuggit? also, did you make those audio tubes yourself?

·
Administrator
15,331 Posts
Looks great J!

Posted via TapaTalk for iPhone5

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
wow that a hell of a build... so did you ever put the compressor back in or just say fuggit? also, did you make those audio tubes yourself?
I just ripped everything air related off! IT's garbrage, it really shouldn't be on an atv/sxs

I made them myself yup! I might have forgot the pics in this thread but they are on can-am forum. I'll dig them up!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
One is fan override the other is led light bar !!!

Should be wrenching instead of using Tapatalk...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Awesome looking bike mayne. Thing looks mean. Is it just the picture or is the XMR like 2 feet longer than a brute? lol

·
Registered
482 Posts
can you post a picture of the front view of your audiotubes? also how did you make that cut?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts