Mud in My Blood Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
15,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better to buy and shoot? They are the same price per box/20 here in town so... price isn't a factor. Also, all the mag's I've looked at say 556 on them, 223 round will still work in a 556 mag right?

Sorry for the amature questions...

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If you buy a 556 you will be safe all around as it will shoot and fire both but if you get a 223 it will chamber a 556 but not all will fire or if it does can possibly cause harm.....as the casings are not the same

·
Registered
160 Posts
^ Ditto what he said...

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you have a rifle marked 5.56, it will fire both. If you have a rifle marked 223, you should not run 5.56 through it.

In this environment, buy whatever ammo you can. For plinking/target shooting either will work.

Another thing, some people hate steel cased stuff, some love it. It will wear out your barrel faster (we're talking a lot of rounds though) and its harder on your extractor (cheap part easy to replace) but its so much cheaper than brass you still come out ahead. I have expensive and cheap rifles and will not hesitate to run steel cased stuff through any of them.

·
Administrator
15,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok Maybe I should have specified... My AR shoots both, since price is the same, I'm guessing it doesnt really matter which one I buy and shoot... I thought maybe one had a tighter tolerence than the other.... which was what I was actually asking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any rifle which is marked 5.56 can shoot .223 as the barrel is heavier! All rifles in either caliber will chamber and fire a round... Difference is 5.56 is a hotter load and with the added gas pressure in the barrel of a .223 only gun can cause damage to the gun and yourself!! In short DO NOT shoot 5.56 in a rifle marked .223!!!! Polaris your all good if you AR is marked 5.56 on the barrel!! Not all AR's are some say .223!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Its not that the barrel is heavier, the chamber is different.

I seem to remember reading the actual mil spec 5.56 is required to be something like 3 MOA accurate. Just about any brass cased 223 should be that accurate or better. I've always had good luck with the Federal bulk packs of 223.

ANYTHING you could ever want to know about ammo is here: AR15 Ammo Forum FAQ - AR15.COM

Specifically for the 5.56 vs 223 question: :: Ammo Oracle

·
Administrator
15,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh my goodness some of y'all are dense. I KNOW MY RIFLE CAN SHOOT BOTH.

I was asking if one round was better in any way than the other. If there was anything that warranted buying one over the other. Since they are the same price ill just buy whatever the hell I can get my hands on at the time and not worry with it. Since no one seems to care to answer the question I actually asked. Except for Col. sanders. Thank you Col Sanders! for actually reading and answering the question I asked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.