Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking for some opinions. I want to put 29.5 laws on my brute,but i do not want to put tierods on this thing everytime i ride it. I ride alot of trails but want to dominate the mud when i get there.I dont care how rough they ride.We ride about 60 miles of trails everytime we ride.Are these tires safe to run at 40/45 mph? Im also looking at the 28 zillas. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I have 29.5s, I have over 400 miles and have not bent a tierod yet........... knock on wood

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Tie rod ends do break and tie rods bend, but not as easy as you may think. If you choose to take the Outlaw route and funds are available, you could always upgrade the tie rod and ends. There are also instruction on here on how to make them stronger. I've personally only broke 1 tie rod end with my laws and that was only because I was riding wheelies. You would be good at 40/45 as well. They ride surprisingly good for a pure mud tire.

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
I can't see the bigger tires causing the tie rods to bend. They might wear out faster, but then upgrade them to solve that.

Abusing the bike would or if your hit something (like a stump...see below) would bend them.

·
Administrator
15,446 Posts
I bent them all the time when I had 12's up front, when I went to 29x10's up front, I quit bending/breaking them.

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
I bent them all the time when I had 12's up front, when I went to 29x10's up front, I quit bending/breaking them.

From just normal driving?

Or a mostly 2 wheel drive issue? :rockn:

·
Administrator
15,446 Posts
no just from the weight of the 12's. The first one I bent I was dropping down into a mud hole and the front tire kicked to the side b/c of the rut wall and it bent the rod. Did it again in almost the same situation. I went to 10's up front and never bent another.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
You can get ASR rods and ends for around $130 and they will hold up way better than stock. They have heim joint ends on them. The only thing is just making sure they are tight every time you ride.

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
The only thing is just making sure they are tight every time you ride.
I'm having that problem with my inners (OEM's) too, come loose every second ride or so but cannot figure out the reason.

New inners, nuts and cotter pins, still come loose.

·
Lets Get It
338 Posts
I'm having that problem with my inners (OEM's) too, come loose every second ride or so but cannot figure out the reason.

New inners, nuts and cotter pins, still come loose.
Youll have to put loctite on them to make them stop, mine were the same way

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
That's what the dealer told me too......but should be a fix for this, can't be happening to every Brute out there and no fix for it!!

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I've been riding brutes since the first one hit my dealers floor in late 04 (05 model) and I've only bent 1 tie rod and have had 2 different brutes. I bent the one because I slammed the front end down on a large rock and it kicked the tire out bending it. But I've ran all sorts of tires on all kinds of terrains from 27" to 29.5's... As long as you are mindfull of it - you'll be fine!

Oh yeah I've put over 3k miles combined between the 2 so yes I ride and have had no probs!!! (knock on wood).

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I bent one with smaller tires straddling a rut and one tire caught the outer wall and wanted to go a different direction. I had smaller tires on it at the time, so it's not the laws fault.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys,just wanted to make sure.Its all fun and games until my 300 pound a$$ is flying thru the woods like superman.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
just stick to 28 or smaller tires and it will take a lot of the stress off.but mainly watch the throttle it breaks more parts than any thing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have had the ASR X series tie rods and ends on my brute for about a year now, along with the 30" Mudzillas and I have had no problems. No nuts coming loose either.

Plus if I'm not mistaken they have a lifetime warranty.

Scott

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
That's one of my next upgrades, the ASR tie rods.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts