Mud in My Blood Forum banner

4x4 Actuator

41K views 49 replies 29 participants last post by  Jeff Ott 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Time the flashes from 4wd to 4wd and that is the fault code being set, thus guiding you to the actual problem.

Search for it on here, it's been asked before and some good tips.

#3 ·
no thre should be no need to reset. Are you hearing the KEBC actuator making noise when you key off?

#5 ·
what year is your bike?

#6 ·
I have the same issue but since the 4x4 is working I haven't taken the time to trace down the problem.
While my bike is down right now I will try to take a look at it and see what's going on.

#10 ·
hmm. there's 1, 2 and 4 seconds.

#14 ·
Engine brake actuator fault.

More than likely your actuator itself but should test if first or just disconnect it if you don't like it.

#13 ·
wat causes the actuator to go bad??

#17 ·
if you are talking KEBC, yes it will.

#18 ·
mine did something kinda weird at ECMN......first part of the ride the 4wd worked as it should. i know these things dont go into 4wd instantly and all so...... later in the ride i go to switch it to 4wd and it instantly flashes over to 4wd.....but it wasnt in 4wd. then flip it back to 2wd and it instantly swaps back.(showing on the pod that is) now granted my brute broke and i havent had it running since....but i was jus curious if anyone else had a similar issue. like maybe the 2wd/4wd switch

#19 ·
alright i bought a brand new $300 4x4 actuator.

when i plugged it in the pod stop flashing and say 2x4 with the switch in 2x4. when i switch over to 4x4 the pod does nothing and the actuator only twitches once.

when i flip the switch back and forth the actuator twitches with each switch movement only.

i put power to move it around and when i plug it in turn the bike on and then off it resets itself to the 2 o'clock position

any ideas why i can't go into 4x4????

#21 ·
just got mine fixed brought it to the dealer and they plugged in the same new actuator i tried plugging in and it worked.

all the guy said is it takes a while for it to work the first time.

but know it works everytime no problems

G
#22 ·
I got stuck over the weekend and at first i thought it was my KEBC, but it ended up being my diff lock wasn't engaging? I had 3 wheels turning and the the one that wouldn't (front right) would just chatter. It however was on solid ground. Any thoughts? Any way to adjust it or make it lock when i need it to?

#23 ·
I got stuck over the weekend and at first i thought it was my KEBC, but it ended up being my diff lock wasn't engaging? I had 3 wheels turning and the the one that wouldn't (front right) would just chatter. It however was on solid ground. Any thoughts? Any way to adjust it or make it lock when i need it to?
Sounds to me like you broke your U-Joint on the front axle. Your boot is probably holding it together.

#24 ·
I have a 2005 Brute Force 750 which won't go ino 4x4. I removed the actuator and powered the motor with external 12 vdc and the motor spins freely and the 5k potentiometer goes from 0 ohms to 5kohm . When I install the actuator and power it again it only spins a bit then jambs. Does anyone know how the actuator is controlled? Should it spin 360 degrees when installed in the bike or is engaged and disengaged by reversing the voltage to get it out of 4x4? Inspecting the shifter collar shows the actuator can't move enough toward the rear of the bike to allow the actuato to spin 360 degrees......how does this thing work? jgmacijko@gmail.com

#25 ·
Bringing tihs back from the dead; my bike wont go into 4x4.... i pulled the actuator and hooked it to 12v and it spins freely. I do hear my kbec system with key off so im assuming its working....i did pull plug and it was full of muck but i cant even get the actuator to function not plugged in but not installed

#26 ·
Clocking 4x4 actuator

Just got the 4x4 actuator on my friends 02 650 Prairie working again. Same actuators on all the Kawi twins. it was in 4x4 but would not switch to 2x4. Dash flashed between 2x4 & 4x4 twice a second which means the problem is with that actuator. Direct power to the actuator using a battery charger connected to paper clips in the red & black wires on the wire connector would spin the actuator. Switched the actuator off my 08 750 and system worked and showed what the problem was. The actuator pin has to be in the right position to work correctly. Put the handlebar switch in 4x4 (easiest position to install the actuator). Spin the pin to the 12 o'clock position using paper clip method & then plug the actuator wire leads back into its connector. Hold actuator in your hand and turn on the key. Switch to 2x4 and the actuator should spin counterclockwise to the 9 o'clock position, in 4x4 it should spin clockwise back to the 12 o'clock position. Install it in 4x4 making sure the collar it slips into inside the front driveshaft is moved to the rear. My friends 02 was in the 6 o'clock position and works now that it has been positioned right. Don't know how it got to 6 o'clock. Works now & the dash stopped flashing. Don't ask how long it took me to figure out what was wtong

#27 ·
Just got the 4x4 actuator on my friends 02 650 Prairie working again. Same actuators on all the Kawi twins. it was in 4x4 but would not switch to 2x4. Dash flashed between 2x4 & 4x4 twice a second which means the problem is with that actuator. Direct power to the actuator using a battery charger connected to paper clips in the red & black wires on the wire connector would spin the actuator. Switched the actuator off my 08 750 and system worked and showed what the problem was. The actuator pin has to be in the right position to work correctly. Put the handlebar switch in 4x4 (easiest position to install the actuator). Spin the pin to the 12 o'clock position using paper clip method & then plug the actuator wire leads back into its connector. Hold actuator in your hand and turn on the key. Switch to 2x4 and the actuator should spin counterclockwise to the 9 o'clock position, in 4x4 it should spin clockwise back to the 12 o'clock position. Install it in 4x4 making sure the collar it slips into inside the front driveshaft is moved to the rear. My friends 02 was in the 6 o'clock position and works now that it has been positioned right. Don't know how it got to 6 o'clock. Works now & the dash stopped flashing. Don't ask how long it took me to figure out what was wtong
You are talking about the one on the side of the diff aren't you? I replaced my diff and when I put the actuator back on it won't switch to 4wd on the dash. It was switching fine before I replaced the diff.

#28 ·
2 wheel 4 wheel problem

I have a 09 750 brute with it seems the same problem as quik660, while driving my bike it will switch to 4 wheel although the switch is in 2 i have done all the tests in the manual and removed the actuator can see nothing wrong. If i go out it might work for a while but it seems as i slow down it will shift to 4 wonder if anyone can help dont want to go to the dealer again..

#29 ·
Hello all,
I'm new to MIMB so hopefully you guys can help me out.
My issue is slightly different from some posted here. I have an 07 BF750 and my 4x4 will not engage. I just replaced the RF CV axle, not sure if that would have anything to do with it??? The KEBC is still making noise when i switch the bike on and off. When i try to click it into 4wd, it does nothing... no flashing 2wd/4wd, nothing... please help.

#30 ·
I have a big problem. My brute set for year or two now that had the time I figured I would get it out. Cleaned and set the carbs runs pretty good but tried 4x4 nothing no flashing lights,beeps, or whistles. No kebc either. I pulled kebc cleaned and checked ,showed to be good ,back on the bike nothing . I have checks on just bout everything just can't figure it out . Everything worked fine up till I parked it but again it's been a year or two. Just trail rode then never really in any mud . Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.