Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my 4X4 wont engage. On further diagnosis I found the 4X4 switch is good (on the handlebars) and the 4X4 actuator OHMS reading's seem ok (I have an old meeter at home that you have to move the OHMS scale yourself and its only capable of 2000 OHMS :doh:). So until I get my good meeter and back probes from work I was couerus if any of you have had a similar problem?:thinking:

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I was riding once and my 4WD just stopped working. When I flipped the switch nothing happened. When I got it home I was expecting the worst but when I started looking for the problem, it was nothing but corrosion on the spade to the fuse. The fuse looked and tested good. I just cleaned the spade on the fuse, reinstalled it and it started working. Hopefully yours will be just as easy.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I would just clean it up good and plug it back up. Then if it's not right get your goodie meter back.

·
Administrator
15,356 Posts

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Mine would work off and on (but did set fault codes) and was the actuator. Even after we replaced it, the old one still tested good.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be corrosion or a dirty connector. At least thats what im hopeing! P425 it sounds like we have the same problum. Ill keep looking.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i would be inclined to think that if the speed sensor were to be at fault the reading of the speed would be way off. is it, fabman?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Malfunction Mode​
No. Malfunction Mode Probable Faulty Part/Location Check Number
2WD/4WD actuator 1
Controller power supply 3
Speed sensor 4
2WD/4WD shift switch 5
1 The 2WD/4WD actuator does not
operate correctly.​
Controller 6

these are the things that all must be workin to have 4x4 work. section 16-74 in manual

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i didnt doubt you mate. i know the speed sensor is vital to the function of the 4x4 system. it wont let you switch between modes over 10. i was just saying that i did not notice him stating any unusual display.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My speedo works for a few mins. when I start riding, then goes to 0 and then no 4x4. How do you know if there are fault codes and what are they? I know what they are on a truck, but have never heard of it on a atv. I have changed the speed sensor and buss conectors. Any other ideas???

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK hers the deal. I checked the 4X4 actuator it is good, checked the 4X4 switch its OK, then i checked the fuse connector (the fuses all were good) I did find allot of mud and some corrosion, I cleaned it all up and still no 4X4! went on to the speed sensor. Just before I was going to put the probes in the connector on the controller box under the seat I decided to spin the tire, and lone behold it works!!! So I'm like what the heck?:thinking: at that moment I realized that the ATV needs to be moving to engage the 4X4! like .5mph +. I tried this several times just to confirm it and it will not engage or disengage the 4X4 unless its in motion!!

So I conclude that the problem was my fuse box connectors having poor contanwidey.

P425 pull the hole fuse box off the bike and check it. Its really simple and let me, us know what you find. I'm curious what you find. If you want more detail pm me id be vary happy to help!

Thanks to all Nick

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i told him to make sure he greases the two connectors underneath. most people neglect that area completely or forget to do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts