Mud in My Blood Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I changed the fluid. I looked like chocolate milk. Still have the same problem. Four wheel drive will only work when I pull the lever. Indicator is not flashing and it will move to the desired position when I move the switch.
The speedometer is also working. I will now move onto the speed sensor. Will read about how to test this. Only 4 days working on this. I am learning a lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update: I removed the actuator from the front diff while the quad had the tires off the ground. I ran the quad up to 2mph and saw the actuator swing 180 degrees. Tried it again and it work with the switch.

I installed the actuator back onto the diff. With the tires off the ground in 4wd, front left tire was spinning with the rear tires. Lowered the quad onto the ground and tried it in the snow - NO GO. Only 2wd.

I am thinking the front diff is wiped out due to the fluid. Unknown to how long the fluid was like that. If I use the diff lever, front tires will spin from the power of the engine.

Is there any way to verify a damage diff without removing it? Thanks.

·
Backwoodz Boggerz
1,580 Posts
Check the rt axle I have seen them broke right at the splines that engage inside the diff.
So if you pull the leaver the left front will pull but not the rt side

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Rmax. When pulling the lever, the left tire is more dominate. The right will spin but not as much.
I just performed a test from the service manual. I parked the quad with the Trans in 4wd. I removed the right front tire and secured the left tire. A 27mm socket on the axel and went to 114lbs on a torque wrench. Test results - pass. If I remeber correctly when I pull the lever the front tires will spin but not as if there is a spool. The left will be more dominate in this test.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here is another update. I jacked up the quad. I have the trans in 4wd in High. The right front tire has no drag on it. It will spin free. The left tire has drag and you can hear the diff working with the left tire.

I start the quad up while the tires are off the ground. The front left tire is spinning. The right one is not. I cannot stop the tire from spinning. If I release the brake with my foot on the tire (left front tire) my foot will prevent the tire from spinning.

I think at this point it is safe to say that something is wrong with the diff.

I also noticed that the KEBC area is loud/noisy. Looks like I will be disassembling the diff and the transmission. Any suggestions while I am in here?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I made an adjustment on the diff control lever. This made a difference, but the rt tire did not work. From the left tire spinning 1 out of 10 times of me trying on snow. I am at 3/4 out of 10 tries. Not all the time did it engage. Something going on inside the diff. I will remove it tomorrow.

I guess the best place to buy replacement parts would be the dealer. I heard some stories about ebay parts. It will really stink if I open it up and see nothing wrong. That would be a kick in the...

Here is a picture of the fluid I drained out the other day.

·
Backwoodz Boggerz
1,580 Posts
Check out dealercostparts.com for OEM parts I get a lot of Kawie parts from them

·
Backwoodz Boggerz
1,580 Posts
That's good to know thanks rmax

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 brute 750. My battery died the other day so I hooked a battery charger to it and it made the 2wd and 4wd start flashing back and forth and when I rode it once the battery was charged it wouldn't go into 4x4. What coukd that be?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I have a 2010 brute 750. My battery died the other day so I hooked a battery charger to it and it made the 2wd and 4wd start flashing back and forth and when I rode it once the battery was charged it wouldn't go into 4x4. What coukd that be?

The flashing is a code. You'll need to time the flashes, then look it up in the manual. The electronic 4x4 is a complicated system. Several parts working together. It's likely that the charger didn't cause the issue, it was just coincidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
my brother just bought an 06 brute force 650i and the 4wd works but you cant hear the actuator "whirrling" or making any noise when you flip the switch. it wont go into 4wd at a standstill you have to move it like five/ten feet and then the 4wd light goes on. it doesnt flash or anything like most of them do so i was wondering if that is just how they are. my arctic cat can switch 4wd to 2wd on the fly or still and you can hear the actuator working. didnt know if kawasaki is different.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
The brute has to roll some to engage. That's normal. It won't shift on the fly. If you don't ease it into 4x4, you can break stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If my brake one goes out can it cause my 4x4 one not to work im not going but a new actuator Imma just buy the 300 dollar 4x4 cable mod

2 inch hl lift
Snorkels by snorkel your atv 2inch
Full single muzzle exhaust
Dalton clutch for max 32 with 2 added rivets in weights for gumbo mud
Dyno programmer
Stock cdi and computers

·
7,482 Posts
If my brake one goes out can it cause my 4x4 one not to work im not going but a new actuator Imma just buy the 300 dollar 4x4 cable mod

2 inch hl lift
Dyno programmer
Stock cdi and computers
Yes, an error code from either cuts control power to both.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah Cuz it won't do what it normally does anymore after Shutting off the key and I switched the 4x4 one with the brake one and it did the same thing it's like a light tapping inside when the key is one

2 inch hl lift
Dyno programmer
Stock cdi and computers

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2011 650 that will not go into 4x4. The light just stays at 2wd when the switch is pressed. Finally got a chance to try and diagnose the problem. The switch works, and the actuator by the foot clicks when the switch is switched to 4x4, but doesn't spin the gears. I read some of the thread listed, but didn't find a solution to this. I would assume the actuator would need to be replaced, but wanted to check with you guys first. Thanks for the help thus far.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That is probably the problem. Just go manual and never worry about it again. Featured Products -

·
Backwoodz Boggerz
1,580 Posts
Manual conversion an do away with all the electric Bullshit an start enjoying the brute you can spend over 1k on components an many hrs of tracking problems just to have another 4wd failure manual conversion 250$ shipped 1hr or less to install

101 - 120 of 126 Posts