Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a DDM tuning H3 55W 10K HID kit with harness (includes fuse and relay) on my 2007 Brute 750. Got everything hooked up and tested the lights only one comes on. The other comes on for just a second and turns off. (bike is not running) After much thinking I started it up and with the choke on, at a higher idle, I turned on the lights and both ballasts fired up with no issues. Next day I warmed up the bike and then tried it at a low idle. Same problem as above although the one that goes out will stay on a little longer. Other starts up fine. I guess things could be worse (like having two different color bulbs) but I'm wondering if I have a battery issue. Any thoughts or input would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Where are you getting your power from hopefully straight off the battery. My plugnplay power hooks to the battery. But mine are only 35w 6k hids.

Sent from my C771

·
Rather b Dirty than Purty
388 Posts
I'm with brutemike on this one...sounds like your HID's are drawing more ampacity than the stator can handle. You can go directly to the battery but there's no guarantee your stator will be able to charge it at a rate higher than your lamps are drawing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. It's coming straight from the battery to the relay. Then from the relay to the ballasts. The only wires I spliced into were the wires from the oem light harness from switch to trigger the relay. Everything else is ran through the kit harness. Actually was very easy to wire up with it not being a plug and play.

·
Rather b Dirty than Purty
388 Posts
Sounds like the lamps are drawing more than the battery can deliver.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've researched it a lot before i bought them? and no one seemed to have problems with the 55w ballasts. That's why I was wondering if it was my battery. I don't know how old it is. I've bought the brute 4 months ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
The battery might be on its last leg enough to start but not to hold a good charge with the lights on. When i put mine in I had them on for awhile on the first lite up because the say on ur first lite don't shut them off for at least ten min. So I don't know if you did that or not but like I was getting to I leaf mine on and drained my battery so far that one light went out the left one but soon as I started it and got back to charge no problems and never since.

Sent from my C771

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep. I bench tested them for 20 mins before I installed them. Also to make sure they were the same color before I epoxied them in. Bad thing I could run one at a time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you found out the problem i just installed hids on my bike and i ran into the same problem

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Have you found out the problem i just installed hids on my bike and i ran into the same problem

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Make sure all your ground wires have a good connection. I mean like sand the paint off the frame where you attach them. I know my hid set up had 3 seperate grounds. Each ballast had one and the relay had one too. Also, is the bike running before you turn them on?

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

·
Registered
215 Posts
mine would run for about 5 min then cut off but if I turned my fan override on they would stay on all night lol they worked perfect on my carbed bike and didn't have a problem until I put them on my efi bike wired them up the same way i never figured it out. Might can try doing that if u have a fan override switch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did figure it out by accident. Try this. (assuming you have the DDM HID kit and harness)
On the intermittent side, disconnect the 2 plugs. (not the light though) Do not even use the plugs that come from the DDM harness. (I taped them up) Take the plug that you attached to the ATV harness wires for the light switch and plug it into the ballast plug. Basically the ballast on the intermittent side is now getting power through the ATV wire harness and not the DDM harness. The other side, leave it hooked up the same as the DDM instructions say. Don’t change it.
I tried changing the battery and everything. Drove me crazy! HA! Now, with the engine off, I can turn on the HID’s AND run the winch without even a flicker. So nice!
Hope it works for you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts