Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in the process of rebuilding my front diff after 3 of the ring gear bolts backed out and made a mess of somethings. I have all the parts coming but am stumped on the bolts. Only place I can find the 'kawi' bolts are at a couple online wharehouses, but they want 2.50 a bolt and 20 bucks in shipping lol

Any thoughts on just running a regular grade 8 equivalent bolt, or does it need to be a specific grade?

Thanks for any help!

·
Administrator
15,438 Posts
It won't help the $2.50 each, but your local dealer should be able to order them for you and at least skirt around the shipping charges. So you'd still be out the $7.50 + tax but... better than + another $20 for shipping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I know I know, didn't have an issue with the bolt price so much as the shipping and getting them ASAP
Wish I had a kawi dealer around, but there isn't one within a 3 hour drive.

Might just bite the bullet and order them, already have the manual with all the torque specs. I was shocked to find no loctite on any of the ring gear bolts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
center case had some deep gouges and a small broken section at the bottom. Probable could have run it but found one for 50 bucks on ebay. Got the carrier, gasket, case and bolts for just under 200. All in all not bad. A little loctite on those bolts would have gone a long way tho...
Fortunately I was only going about 15 when it locked up. No weird sounds or warning really.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not bad of a price for everything.
At least no one got hurt when it locked up. How'd you get it back to the truck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Almost put me over the bars lol

Fortunately we were about a half mile from my buddies house on a gravel trail. stood it on its back rack and backed the truck up to it, then winched it in his bed. Got lucky all around for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts