Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my brute is running, if I switch on the headlights (low or High) the engine dies. If you turn the switch off, the engine runs fine. Has anyone encountered this problem? Ive been tracing the wiring from the switch looking for a short, but haven't found one yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You are grounding out somewhere. I just replaced the harness on my SRA. gBest thing I've done,got my pod back, my actuator turned on. it looked fine by was shorted in the harness. Did you replace the switch ? Disconnect each light one at a time. check your grounds, one is behind the water overflow, the other is by the radiator fill cap.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Do the lights work normally with the engine off? The headlights *shouldnt* throw a ground and properly work with the engine off.

Does your brute have the headlights on the key switch then high/low on the handlebars?

If the lights are operated via the key switch I would venture to say you have a bad key switch as when its turned to the light position it isn't keeping the ignition powered.

·
7,482 Posts
Sounds like a ground problem to me too especialy sence it doesn't take-out a fuse or trip a breaker. There are several common grounds that the systems use on Brutes. The ground/common the headlights use is also used by the 4wd relay and several other things and that is up front so like Roboquad says, check the grounding point by the radiator and any connections. Not sure how its getting a ground in one position and not the other but it must be somehow. Coils must use that ground too maybe.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I used to have an 06' SRA that did this exact same thing....brought it in to Kawi to see if warranty would do anything, they determined that the handlebar switch was bad and they replaced it....problem went away.

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Bus connector?

Did say the year, so if it's '06ish, I'd start there.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
No buss

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Kmkjr. There is no buss connector on the SRA. Model, has a different harness all together. I would try a different switch first. Strange problem though. Any codes on the dash POP up?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Another possibility is your charging system can't supply enough current to power the lights and the ignition system at the same time. Just throwing that out there.

·
7,482 Posts
Another possibility is your charging system can't supply enough current to power the lights and the ignition system at the same time. Just throwing that out there.
Hmm..good point IBBruin. When the charging systen fails, it will still run as ling as there is enough left in the battery to charge the coils...and operate some other electronics, and if another load is put on the already near dead battery, it will fail to charge the coils.

Time to test the battery voltage not running and running. Should be about 12 volts not running and near 14 running (13.7ish).

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Another good way is hit the winch button on a load. bike goes dead. Been there, probably how I fried the first harness,controller etc.Good point IB. I missed that one...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts