Mud in My Blood Forum banner

A absolute must do on brutes if you water ride

40K views 91 replies 42 participants last post by  brennan94 
#1 ·
Ok I blew it off and said aww whatever well I learned the hard way....missed 2 good rides because of it first was the wires under fuse box to harness pinched off for fuel pump so I soldered good as gold then my wires to the main fuse under the fuse box corroded and made crappy connection.....said enough is enough.....cut the wires flush against the fuse box took pic of box for y'all then through it in the dang garbage where it belongs.....I put some good quality inline waterproof fuse holders to each set of wires and heat shrunk them and wrapped em nice and tight.....no more worries about that crap now....more time to ride now then search for culprits....disregard the white paper taped to the wires that is to let me know which fuse is what til I get a paint marker to mark the fuse cap.....must do mod I didn't listen and paid the price by losing 2 good rides.....

Vehicle Auto part Metal
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle Wire

See less See more
Reactions: phreebsd
#3 ·
Go to the fuse box where your main fuse is which runs everything on the bike without it you got literally nothing....it also has a fuel pump fuse accessory fuse and brake control fuse.....

#12 ·
Glad you like em. I spent alot of time trying to locate those fuse holders when I did my 08 brute. I knew they existed, just had a hard time finding them at first. Mine are still on the bike now....and they've been on probably 2+ years.

Nice job. Now I am wondering if a guy had the time..would it be a good idea to go through the entire harness and replace all the connectors with waterproof connectors...not necessarily fused connectors but just ones like that just waterproof... and stop using the grease.
I went a different route last time I replaced a wire harness with a brand new one (on the 05 brute 750 that I no longer have)....I bought a tube of silicone and sat on the floor and filled the BACK SIDE of all the connectors where the wires go in....the intention was to keep mud from packing in around the wires and starting the corrosion process. I then dielectric greased every connection as the harness was being installed. That was also 2-3 yrs ago and that bike hasn't had an electrical problem since.

#6 ·
Good job I still need to do this also.Ive just been putting it off too.

#7 ·
You keep putting it off your gonna think of this thread when it happens lol.....I sad I will be alright lol WRONG.....super easy takes 30 min to do it super clean....shoot I spent longer then that trying to find the problem lol

#8 ·
what was the problem you were experiencing ? Your bike wouldn't start ?? just wondering is all :)

#9 ·
Well at first it was like backfiring very now and then guess the wires shook from vibration...then bike shut off no clicking gauges lighting up nothing completely dead everything

#10 ·
Dude I had the same problem. Like 3 years ago I ruined 5 rides in a row couldn't figure it out. Did this and bike has been fine ever since !!!

#13 · (Edited)
My 'fusebox' consist of 3 inline fuses with liquid electric tape to seal things up. The splices are soldered and heat shrinked. Not near as clean looking as tonka's, but scores high on functionality. Have been in the drink many times with no probs. Those connections under that stock fuse box will bite you in the butt!

Attachments

#14 ·
I want to do this. Where can I get those waterproof fuse holders? Thanks

#16 ·
Thanks tonka. I like to eliminate problems before they can stop me from riding.

#17 ·
Me to man nothing sucks more then paying the fuel and gate cost to get in the park ride 1 hr then get towed back for something so stupid like a corroded wire....this eliminates a lot of that

#22 ·
#24 ·
Thanks for the great idea. Filthy, yours looks real clean with them all attached like that. I am going to copy you on that, if you don't mind.
When I bought mine I originally paid $24 shipped for 10 of them, I couldn't find them again at that price though. And by all means, copy away.

"Killing Time Using Tapatalk 2"

#23 ·
Yes that's them....mine look like filthys also and this is a bulletproof way to half your corroded wire problems.....I call this the fuse box delete mod lol

#26 ·
#36 · (Edited)
This is what I just ordered. Can amazon deliver up there?

Ancor 607019 Marine Grade Electrical Waterproof In-Line Fuse Holder (ATO/ATC, 12-Gauge, 30-Amp):Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something more productive.
Yes they can, I've got a US mail addy that I can use, so I might do that.. depending on shipping...

Actually found them here on the Canadian version of the Global Industrial site..
www.globalindustrial.ca

#28 ·
I'm pretty sure three for 05-07 & four for 08-11.Don't know on the 12 n up.

#29 ·
Done both my teryx and brute last night.

fatboyz customz

#31 ·
Also Brandon check out your fuel pump relay and the other ones (forgot what they control) because that was my other problem. I ended up putting new ends on the wires. They were completely corroded. Nothing you can do about it I guess. I had di electric and everything. It's just that section of wire is extremely small and fragile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.