Mud in My Blood Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum

Long story short my actuator craped out on me. I got a new one, still wouldn’t engage. I got fed up with and decided to make my own manual conversion. I did a lot of searching and found lots of post, but none of which had pictures(that I could see anyway).

First off gut your old actuator

Take apart the pentameter so you can get the half moon shaped shaft out. I used a 3/8 x 3” bolt and cut a slot into the end of the bolt to receive the shaft.

Drill out the top case of the actuator. There is an imprint circle inside the casing ... predrill it there with 1/8 bit and then 3/8.

I then used the bracket that holds pentameter down between 2 lock nuts. You can see my sharpie mark that indicates where the nylon nut needs to be threaded too( inside the case)

Snug down the 2 nuts on either side of the case so that it’s very minor resistance. Insert shaft. I packed some JB weld in first.

Then install the actuator. I had purchased a throttle cable kit for a lawnmower at Canadian tire. It came with the cable and a couple different options for a hand lever. Once the cable is run, make adjustments and lock down the nut againt the pentameter bracket. I grinded a notch in the end of the bolt to tell where the little block is on the inside of the diff.

Run cable and use whatever you want for the hand lever. All in all it cost me 16 dollars. Had it out 4-5 times .. woks flawlessly..

It may not float everyone’s boat, but it’s sure floating mine.. especially at 16$
Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only penetration is the bolt through the top side on the case. With the hole being drilled the same as the bolt it almost threads into the plastic case. Then with the nuts snugged down on either side it’s as tight as I could get it. I guess if you were to submerged the unit for any amount of time it would start to leak at a small rate. I’m not a big mud/water guy.. if you were then maybe it would be of concern.

·
Administrator
15,550 Posts
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts