Votes: 12 2.3%
  • Maxima

Votes: 4 0.8%

ATV Engine Oil

Tags
oil
68K views 211 replies 88 participants last post by  NMKawierider 
#1 ·
Got a booklet coming with a comparison of many ATV oils. Will be an interesting read. Before it gets here, I would like to poll what brand you all are using. Then see how these compare and rate when i receive the report.

#192 ·
I now run Brad Penn or anything that has zinc in it.

#198 ·
What other oils still have zinc in them??

Shell Rotella ?

#197 ·
Broke my engine in on Dino oil 10w40 and switched over to valvoline full synthetic 10w40 vtwin oil. We shall see how it holds up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something more productive.

#199 ·
Ok well here is my opinion! I been racing motocross for 14 years now and the past 6 years I had got on with a dealer that gives me my Ams Oil for FREE! And I run it in almost everything that I have that has a motor. And I love it, not just cause it was free but cause is was awesome! Plus racing as much as I did and all I was changing my oil every weekend and maybe twice on a weekend if it was a big event! Well this pass summer I bough me a 2010 brute 750. So since I got Ams Oil for free I ran it in my brute! But I will say as for as me I don't think I will run it in my brute no more. My motor is at DSC getting rebuild cause it was locked up! The worst dale has seen! But I did notice it did burn the oil bad! And my bike ran really hot!! The pipe would be glowing red!!! And I changed mines about every 15 to 20 hours. So as far as running Ams Oil I would say change it really often and check the leave throw riding and stuff like that! Hate to see another person have to rebuild a motor from the oil!!! But I'm wait and see what Dale thinks I should run! But if I do go back to Ams Oil looks like I'll be seeing my dealer even more cause I'll be changing it after ever ride and maybe twice on a big weekend ride!!!

#205 ·
Nmk is right. Your rings will never seal properly. Synthetic is so thin that it will slip past the rings and put a coating on on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something more productive.

#209 · (Edited)
I'm just curious, I have been lurking on this oil thread for a while now and read and read and read. Tried to find more info from diff websites like bobistheoilguy and not really finding the results.
Im looking for some test results of the amsoil and maybe some of the other synthetics in the brute force. By the poll it seems like Amsoil,Castrol,Manufactures brand, mobil and shell r is the most commonly used. Im guessing out of all of these Amsoil, and mobil 1 are the most common sythetics listed.

I was hoping to see a result of the sythetic vs conv. oil in a brute under normal conditions and see what to go with. Surely someone has had a sample sent off. Or is there a kit you can buy to test oil.

As of right now personally i have used the Kawi oil until my shop quit selling it so i have been using Honda oil. I run Amsoil in my R6 and like it enough i wouldnt mind runnin it in the brutus

#210 · (Edited)
I'm sure Amsoil has lots of propaganda and test results on their website. It almost toasted a very expensive LT1 of mine 37 years ago.. so I'll never trust it in anything ever again. But lots do and sware by it so..go for it. Personally, If I were to go synthetic, it would be Mobile-1, Royal Purple, Castrol or even a Valvoline. But most pre 2012 Brutes don't like synthetic...they burn it. Mine is one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.