Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front axle boot next to the front diff, the small retaining clip has come off the boot. Any ideas on hoe to get it back on. Does it take a special tool or can you use pliers. I know I will need to take the axle out and clean it and the put new grease in the boot. Should I just get new clips for the boot?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well i cannot tell you what you should do, but can say what i would do. Last week i just did this to a friends Rincon. We just took the axel out, disassembled it, replaced the boot, re-greased it and replaced the clamps. I don't have the little clamp tool so what we did was use a pair of Needle Nose Pliers to pull the clamp tight and then used another pair to clamp the little holding tab things down. Idk if the tool makes it any tighter, but the clamp seemed to be as tight as it could go.....

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Any auto parts store will have clamps that will work great. Had to do the same to a buddies renegade and u can't buy the clamps only from can am. you have to buy a 55 dollar boot kit plus an 80 dollar tool if you want to do it right.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
It would be better to take it off, clean it and repack it with grease. If your not willing to do that you could put a hose clamp, or large zip tie on it.

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Heater hose clamp or zip tie's will work but normally fall off (or hose clamp cut the boot cause your overtighten it).

You can buy several types of cv boot clamps and each kind takes a different tool to crimp or tighten. For the amount you will use it, just go to a cheap tool store (we have Princess Auto here) and buy one for $10.00ish.

For the extra time it takes, remove the boot and clean it. Water or dirt is iside it. Chances are if you don't, order the axle now, your going to need it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am pretty sure it just happened. you think I will need a new axle?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
You won't need a new axle. Just clean and grease it good. It will be fine.

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
I am pretty sure it just happened. you think I will need a new axle?

Not yet, but clean it good (check for damage) and re-pack the grease (with new grease, avaialble at any parts store).

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
parts washers work great for cleaning up a CV joint.
Autozone universal boot kit, 15 bucks, cut at last banding spot fits perfectly.
Clamps suck i reused the stock ones and clamped them with pliers. I got them super tight!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I get mine from Gorilla. They have two different boots one is thicker that the other. Most of the time I get extra bands from them as well. They also have a great band tool.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
parts washers work great for cleaning up a CV joint.
Autozone universal boot kit, 15 bucks, cut at last banding spot fits perfectly.
Clamps suck i reused the stock ones and clamped them with pliers. I got them super tight!
That's the first I've heard of the Autozone universal boot. Is there more than one part number or just one that they sell there?

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Kawie dealer sells a universal boot too!!

·
SAY I WON'T!!!
997 Posts
EPI makes a universal boot also I think.

I bought a handful of clamps from Autozone or O'Reillys auto parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts