Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I pulled apart and cleaned my engine brake because it's acting up. And now when I reinstalled it, it's making continuous noise after the key is off until i just tap it with my hand or wiggle it a tad. So I'm going to take of the belt housing cover to take a peak inside at the springs or whatever that is in there that connects to the EB motor..... I was turning the bolts to the housing the CORRECT directions and they just kept breaking off inside!:aargh4: I tried tapping them a little, easing them out.. Three of them are now broken off in the casing. What is the easiest way to pull these suckers out? I'm guessing a easy out or something? I guess I'll need replacement bolts from Kawie eh?

I was doing everything right but I guess this means I need to stop working on the bike and go to bed. I couldn't sleep so I stayed up fidgeting with it.

:aargh4:

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Ive broken 3 before. Managed to get 2 out. Had to drill and use extractor.
Dont replace with stock bolts. Run to lowes and get 10mm bolts and washers

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If they broke off coming out you could be in for some trouble. If they broke off going in it's a completely different story. Sounds like the threads galled in the aluminum housing and that's going to make them difficult to remove. If they are broken off flush with the housing it sounds like your only option will be an ez-out. When you go to drill the bolts, try to get as close to center of the bolts as humanly possible. An offset hole in the bolts could possibly damage the threads in the case. Patients, penetrating oil and possibly some heat. Did I mention patients? I would also run a tap through the remaining holes and run a die over the bolts that aren't broken. Anti-sieze them when you reinstall them.

Are the bolts that hold the cover to the engine shoulder bolts? If so I would recommend using factory bolts. The shoulder on those bolts keep the cover from being over tightened and distorting under pressure.

Good luck and keep us informed. Did I mention patience?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I have had 3 break myself, but have always been able to remove them easliy with an easy out. I agree with phreebsd, goto Lowes or any hardware store and get the replacement bolts, they are cheaper and stronger.

·
Lets Get It
338 Posts
Two of mine broke off coming out, also.
I was able to get one out by drilling/ez-out but the second I wasnt so lucky on. The ez-out broke off in the bolt (small ez-outs break esay) and theres no drilling that out. So its just got some good ol silicon around the area where it is. And on the bolt I was able to get out the treads are messed up out of repair, I still need to tap it out to a bigger tread size, Good luck with it!!!

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Ive only got one that I couldnt get out and it's in the same place on two different bikes.
The lower bottom left corner by the speed sensor. I couldnt drill that one.

·
Team BS
757 Posts
maybe Head will chim in, but i believe he has a bolt broke off in the front and rear of his belt housing. his doesnt leak in any water, and we do ride in deep water

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
There's nothing wrong with using bolts from Lowes. Just know that 40 inch pounds of torque on a shoulder bolt versus a non shoulder bolt has completely different effect on the cover. 40 inch pounds was used as a reference only. I don't really know what the torque is on those specific bolts.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Good point.
Need to be careful. You can get those lowes bolts way too tight and crack the cover for sure.

Bump - im missing 1 bolt and neither of my bikes leak. I use no silicone.

·
Team BS
396 Posts
Yep, my bike has been missing 2 for a long time now and no leaks.

·
Administrator
15,427 Posts
Unless Phree is using me as the 2nd person he knows about then add me to that list, b/c thats the same one that I broke off... Bottom left by the sensor... It's the only 1 I've broke off so far though, thank goodness...

·
Team BS
757 Posts
Yep, my bike has been missing 2 for a long time now and no leaks.
ill add that your not using any silcone either lol

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
put some never sieze on them.and you wonthave that problem next time.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Unless Phree is using me as the 2nd person he knows about then add me to that list, b/c thats the same one that I broke off... Bottom left by the sensor... It's the only 1 I've broke off so far though, thank goodness...
nope. same one on the prairie is broken. :D
or wait i mean :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts