Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thinking:I shreaded my belt today. What is the best replacement. A new belt or a clutch. I dont know much about this but Ive heard talk about replaceing the belt with a clutch. What is the cost of this vs. a new belt. Thanks for the help!!!:thinking:

·
Registered
16 Posts
The best replacement would be to purchase an OEM factory belt from Kawasaki. What type of springs and weights do you have installed?

·
Administrator
15,423 Posts
OEM is probably best. what springs are in your clutch?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Stock belt. Best way to go.

If your clutch is stock you might consider adding a little stronger spring to help with the heaver tires and prolong belt life. You can get a new clutch spring for $30 or less.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
OEM and check around for a spring some can be had for 15 bones from EPI.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything is stock. So there is not any kind of heavy duty belt that is beter. And explain the springs please. I've never even opened the belt housing.

·
Administrator
15,423 Posts
there are heavy duty belts but riders have prooved that they dont hold up as well as the oem belts...

Secondary Springs:

Maroon (Lighter than stock. Not the same as the maroon primary)
Black (Almost same as stock)
Almond (Good for 27'' and lighter 28'')
Green (Good for heavier 27'' and all 28" )
Lime green(Good for heavier 28'' and maybe 29.5")
Red (Perfect for 29.5'' and the lighter 30")
Yellow (Good on only 30'' or larger most aggressive tires)

·
Registered
16 Posts
So for your application you should go with an Almond or Green secondary. Then you should be just fine in reverse and in sticky situations.

·
Administrator
15,423 Posts
regardless of spring, reverse is still never a real good idea... if you have to use it, use it real easy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It shouldn't be too too bad since he is running 27' tires (provided with the proper clutching). Your problem's awake when you throw on 29.5's + and then go in reverse. Belt's get destroyed. Like Jon said, take it easy in reverse as well.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yep, I almost forget I have reverse when I'm in the goo. I have used it a couple of times but probably wouldn't have hit the limiter had it been on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan on going with larger tires sometimes this year. 29s or 30s . If i go with a spring for larger tires will it still be fine with my 27s until i get the big boys.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It will be fine but you are going to lose alot of top end. With the 29.5s or 30s drop a red secondary in and you should be good to go.

·
Administrator
15,423 Posts
I would use the correct spring until you decide to get bigger tires.. they are only like $20...

·
Administrator
15,423 Posts
yeah that would work.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
27 589's? If so I would go with the almond. The 27 589's are more like 26's.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i'm still wanting to try that EPI severe duty belt. It's just very expensive!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts