Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used paint stripper to strip camo plastic down to black. I tried it today on my handle bar cover and it came out pretty good just wondering how they will handle scratches if i do the whole bike.I am assuming it will be the same as the black plastic that kawi makes. If no one has done this I guess ill be the first one.

any input on stickers off of what color and year brute would look the best.

Thanks for any and all input

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt think it was that bad. I have never seen a black brute in person but to me it was just as shiny as regular plastics. Ill probably end up doing it either way cause my camo is really faded and isnt camo anymore has a green tint to everything. worst comes to worse I have to drive 3 hours and out 80 bucks for some used red plastic.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah not to include the dealer I got it from left it outside all day everyday but hey i got a good discount for it when i bought it. I am waiting to here from a guy on highlifter that used krylon fusion on his. If his is holding up good i may paint mine some color not sure yet. I be sure to keep yall updated on how it turns out.

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
Yeah you will have to show us :rockn:

If you do it right, the krylon fusion is suppose to hold up well.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i did my cousins 400ex a while back but didnt clean it like we should have because he was in a hurry and wouldnt listen to me. it held up great in places that was clean but in places where it was flaked off in a few rides.

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you strip your plastics get us some pics.. ive been thinkin bout doin this to my silver brute but man its kinda hard to strip the silver not knowing if the black will look good..

·
Banned
32 Posts
my buddy cracked his plastics for his bf on a tree found them on ebay discount for 200 bucks, they were black, painted them silver the color of his 4wheeler and put graphics on them and it looks bad ace. no problem painting his

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anybody have any thoughts on if draino would work to get paint off I got some paint stripper but it being 36 outside its not working good at all. Would draino hurt the plastic or make it weak?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Draino??? Hahahaha i never tried that one.

I know easy off over cleaner will take paint off.....your skin too so be careful with it.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may test all 3 to see what works the best paint stripper is kinda expensive. My dad gave me the draino idea I kinds thought the same as yall but it is really corrosive but and it shouldn't hurt plastic cause PVC is sort of like plastic. How long does it take the oven cleaner to work and how much does it take?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I cant promise the over clear will not hurt your plastic. I can tell you this,that stuff is strong! I would try it on a very small area first to see what it does. And use some rubber gloves!!

PS what ever you do.Don't let any of that stuff mix together

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got the side panels completely stripped and got some pics. They are suprisingly shiny.

WARNING: This is not recommended to be done in the winter. The hotter the temperature the better the stripper will get the paint off and you will not have to fight with it like I am having to do.

·
Team BS
757 Posts
that looks good from what i can tell. cant wait to see it bolted on the bike. i like a black bike

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah Im liking it to. The front and back fenders are taking forever to get clean because its too cold. The side panels i ended up bringing in the house to get them clean.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts