Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From everyone's experience what was the PRO AND CONS of the 650 SRA vs. the 650i?

·
Registered
320 Posts
In my opinion not much because once you put big tires on anything it will ride rough

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
there aren't many aftermarket "goodies" for the SRA... almost EVERY aftermarket goody that fits a 750i will fit the 650i... the frame, suspension, plastics, electronics, carbs, diffs, axles... all work with the 650i... the SRA has different carbs, frame, suspension, wheel bolt patterns... if you don't plan to do a lot of mods to it, besides things like exhaust, snorkels, 2" lift... and you ride a lot of trails and stuff, the SRA is a good bike... but if you wanna go all out, get more ground clearance, etc... 650i FTW!!

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
there's pros and cons vs all sra vs irs bikes

General Examples comparing SRA to IRS..
  • power slides
    • easier on a sra bike than a irs.
    • less roll and flex on sra
  • Ground clearance
    • the only way to increase ground clearance on a sra bike is by increasing the tire size.
    • sra bikes will high center on deep ruts.
  • Stability
    • i think most agree an SRA bike is more stable off camber than a IRS machine.
  • Maintainability
    • there's more moving parts in a IRS bike suspension than on a SRA bike. statistically more parts to replace and go bad.
those are some of the points i can think of.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought my SRA from my brother and have never been a big fan of he SRA because the thought of it getting high centered. I'm ready to take it out and see what it is made of though!

·
Registered
714 Posts
SRA's are Prairie 650/700's with brute plastics. I'd rather have the i models cause better ground clearance and part availability. SRA's are still awesome atvs. Just comes down to personal prefrence.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Last week I flat out embarrassed a kitty mud pro with IRS way more clearance and 29.5 tires through the same trashy muck.. I run 26's . You need to hit the rut just right to get hung up. SRA is a light fast bike and I think you will be suprised with the results of your test run. You will also be saving the replacement cost of CV boots etc. IMO. one of the best buys out there. my reason is in my signature,and avatar..

·
Registered
265 Posts
i have an sra, and my buddy has a 650i. same tires in the same size, no lifts. and we go through the same holes and on the same trails. generally speaking, if there is a hole sticky enough to stuck mine, he gets stuck too. mine does longer straighter wheelies tho :D and his doesnt like donuts too much. both are wicked bikes though, and we have no coplaints.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I noticed that between the stock irs and sra they seem to do pretty well in the shallow mud but when you go above 55mph on rougher terrain the irs deffinitly handles much better. The sra gets a little squirlly and rocks and shifts left to right a lot. just what i noticed....

But both good bikes...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
IRS would also be a better pic for trails with heavy woops. but goes by your ride area and style.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My buddy has a sra 08 and i got an 06 i he wanted the sra i told him to get the i but thats what he wanted but now he wishes he got the i rides alot smoother he said from rideing mine. We ride alot of rocky trails and mud.Dont get me wrong though he still loves his bike.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i currently have a 2009 SRA 650 and a 2009 IRS 750.. i wish i had went IRS the first time.. now i'm trying to sell the SRA.. it's not that i don't like the SRA, it's that i wanted to do a few mods to it and it's not that easy.. the 650 is an awesome bike.. i haven't gotten to take my 750 out ridin' yet, but i know i'll enjoy it..

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I've had two 650 SRA brutes so far and the 750 I ride now is the first IRS atv that I have ever owned. The SRA's were alot of fun, and they were more stable than the IRS in off camber riding...BUT I still like the IRS better. The ride is better, and you dont have to worry about the crappy single rear shock going bad on you that kawi put on the SRAs, and that sucker is expensive too! I had that shock go bad on both of my SRA brutes. Also, like said above...the parts market is better for the IRS brutes when it comes to aftermarket stuff. Plus I like the looks of the IRS plastics/headlights better... Not to mention if you want to put on HIDs.... more difficult on the SRA in my opinion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 30 inch Zillas on my SRA now and when I put it beside my friends 750 brute I have a little more ground clearance. Plus I enjoy the powerslides! HA HA

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I have 30 inch Zillas on my SRA now and when I put it beside my friends 750 brute I have a little more ground clearance. Plus I enjoy the powerslides! HA HA
But your rear axle is still alot lower then an irs rear end mines at 16.5" and even with a lift still cant get a sra any higher.Just my two cents tho:greddy2:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
true but i think i can take him!

·
Registered
139 Posts
... Not to mention if you want to put on HIDs.... more difficult on the SRA in my opinion.
It's actually pretty easy to do. You just need to get Teryx head light housings. After that you can use any h4 hid kit you want. All plug and play at that point. No modifing anything to get the housing to fit, they are exactly the same, they just use an h4 bulb. If you ask me the 650i and 750i's are more difficult because of having to guess how deep to put the bulb in the drilled out base to get the right beam. The new plug and play kits are expensive.

·
Wilson Creek Riders
1,763 Posts
I love my SRA, I have two buddies with IRS's,.. I just like mine better.

I agree, aftermarket parts are more abundant, but fuel pumps are cheaper;)

My only dislike is like mentioned above, that Crappy rear shock. We ride rough, and my shock takes a toll.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea i took mine out for the first time sunday and ran it beside my buddies 09 750i. I was very impressed with it and never got high centered once like I was expecting too. Very pleased with the SRA! OH and the powerslides were awesome too! :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts