Mud in My Blood Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently purchased a 2010 brute 750 added 2" lift and 30" silverbacks and took it out riding. Definitely in need of a new clutch but have read all the forms to try to get a rundown of what would be good but still cant make a decision. I mainly mud ride but also climb alot of hills so having a clutch stall to higher rpms isnt a good thing while climbing steep hills. So if anyone could let me know a good combination of primary and secondary springs that has low end torque that doesnt stall much but wont burn belts that would appreciative. Also just a curiousty question to help educate myself about the springs and clutch can anyone tell me what each springs job is and which one is responsible for quick hook and stall? Thanks

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Did you already read this? http://www.mudinmyblood.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4142

Here's a list of what secondary to use for different size tires... it's pretty accurate... http://www.mudinmyblood.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19

If you read through all of the "General Clutch question" threads, most of them tell you what springs to use for 29.5 or 30" tires...

As for your question about the clutches, the secondary spring will control how long the bike stays in a lower "range" therefore, the stiffer the secondary spring, the more "low end" you will have, and really it's not that it makes MORE low end, it just grips the belt tighter for less slipping, and keeps the secondary closed longer... The primary spring will control the stall, the stiffer the spring, the higher the RPM's you need to get the weights to overcome the spring before the sheaves will close and grab the belt...

I'll try to find the animation I found once before that showed how they work... if I find it before this thread gets locked, I'll post it.. but you need to make sure you try searching through the existing threads before posting a new one...

Welcome to MIMB

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
If you think of the CVT like the sprockets on a mountain bike, as you put the back sprocket (secondary, or driven clutch, ) in a LARGER gear, it's a lower gear ratio, and as the front sprocket (primary, or drive clutch) is in a SMALLER gear, it's lower ratio... but when you drop the back sprocket to a smaller diameter, and front sprocket to larger diameter, that's when you get your "Top End"... That's how the clutches work, but they depend on the springs in both clutches, and the weights in the primary to "shift" gears...

Hope that helps...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.