Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy adjusted his valves and now it rattles like its loose. I checked them and they are on the loose side forsure, but within specs. Is there a way that you can mess it up adjusting the valves. I asked him how he set them and he said he spun the crank till he got tdc etc, but he did mention he passed up the mark and then he rolled the crank back a bit. Could this have messed up the rod bearings? I told him it could have but i am not forsure. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i think the most you could do is get them too tight so that the valves never close fully, increase wear on the cam lobes and cause premature stretching of the cam chains.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did he make sure it was TDC on the compression stroke?? If not they would be very loose.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So he couldnt have messed anything up by spinning the crank backwards a bit?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wouldn't think so.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have my way of setting them but what is your methods? These Vtwins are a bit different then what i have fooled with, but i got mine right, just took a couple times.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Something that I noticed when I adjusted mine was that I had to turn the motor counter clock wise, when turning the motor counter clockwise you will feal the compression building in the front and rear cylinder. When you feal the comprssion release stop and look at the timming mark and you will be right at the top dead center mark (you may have to turn the motor back a little to the TDC mark). Turning the motor in a clockwise motion I did not feal the compession build. After you get the timming mark set check the adjustment on the valves again, and I think you will find that they are loose, if they are then re-adjust the valves and it should be good to go then. BTW, I had the same problem untill I found out the correct method out. Hope this helps and good luck. Holler if you need more help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The inspection covers on the top of the heads are the intake and on the side of the head are the exhaust, right?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Intake valves are on the top and exhaust is on the side (close to the header pipes).

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
that sums it up there.
intake closest to carbs, exhaust closest to header.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got her figured out. It was the front exhaust valve chattering. Thanks for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts