Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am new to this site and need some advice.
I have a 2006 Brute force 750. This quad is new to me 3 weeks ago (one tank of fuel through it). It has 1000 km (620 Miles) and seems in good shape. No mods other than tires.
I got it home, unloaded it, got stuck in the snow, put it in AWD and wiggled around until it engaged. It made a pretty good clunk going in and then seemed fine. I have had 3 episodes where the front tires locked up while backing out of the garage and have had some issues where it seems to not shift in and out of AWD right away. I have noticed a couple of times a clunking noise while turning the wheels but can not replicate it when I try.
Yesterday I noticed it is not going in to AWD at all. The light appropriately switches when I toggle the button but can not hear the actuator. I am hoping for maybe an actuator problem with some CV joint or U-joint involvement, however I fear the worst. Are these diffs weak? Did I buy a lemon quad?? Any advice would be awesome.
I changed all the fluids when I first got the quad. Front diff oil was milky.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 840. Do you think the actuator could cause my problems too? Is the front diff a common problem that could pile up after 1000 km?

·
7,389 Posts
First, Brutes have 4WD, not AWD like Polaris. Second, look to a bad CV, a wheel bearing or a brake problem for the locking up but if the oil had water in it for a while, there is most likely bearing damage in the diff so be prepared for the worst. Next, never put it in 4wd after you get stuck. That clunking sound is the coupler engaging the dogs with power being applied and if you hear it, it is being damaged. Be above 2mph and below 12mph when engaging it. Tickle the throttle after just to make sure its well seated before applying power. The more you understand how all this works, the less problems you will have. A service manual is a good read.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
These brutes have to be moving for the 4x4 to engage. Getting stuck first then switching to 4x4 could cause damage to the front diff. What do you mean when you say the front tires locked up while backing out of the garage?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When backing up the front tires locked up just after I changed the gear selector to R. I had to go back into H and mibe the quad to free up the wheels.

·
7,389 Posts
Man...sounds more and more like a bad pinion bearing letting the pinion climb the ring and locking...you need to pull the front driveline and see if there is any movement on the pinion..other then rotational. No matter what, if that differential is in fact locking up, you do not need to be driving it because of safety ...and cost reasons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Sounds like some good advice. I appreciate all the help guys. I will tear into it this week hopefully and let you know how I make out. Either way, she's parked until I can figure this out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had to tear into mine and it sure was a nightmare. I had to replace tie rods upper and lower a arm bushings etc and an entire rebuild kit for the front diff. hardest part for me was taking off the axle's lol I was pullin for hours on em until i finally hit the right spot and it came out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's not that bad. Had mine out and tore down in 2 hours. 200 dollars in bevel gears and a seal kit and it works like a champ now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Front diff crack

Ok. After posting last week about my 4wd not engaging, I got home from holidays and I noticed oil under my brute. I took off my skid plates to find a crack in my front diff. See pic. Has anyone encountered this before, and if so what am I in for to replace? Parts and labour? Also would you go with a new one or try and track down a used one?
1000 km on machine.

Can I still drive in 2WD too?

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
That crack isnt to bad.

the cost of a shop to do this will be 1k-1500 range

You can buy a rebuilt one from people on these forums in the buy section on the main page. If you can take ur bike apart and get it out I would take the diff apart and look on the inside on how bad the crack is. you could possibly get it welded to cover the wholes and put it back together and call it a day.

If you buy a used one you will just have to take ur old one out and put hte new one in and put it all back together. It tooke me about 2 hours to take everything apart so its an easy job just make sure u take your time and if you need help post here and we can help if needed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts