Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought 2 of the kawi sra one a 2005 brute 650 and the other 2003 prairie and in the airbox they both have this stupid looking loop up under the airfilter where the carbs are that looks like it shouldnt belong.

Now while looking at this i got to wondering why was it there and what purpose it served. upon further inspection i found out that it is what i believe to be is the crank case vent.

This vent goes straight into the airbox and then does that stupid loop then goes straight back out of the airbox and stops. I know on the 750/650i the crankcase is ran under the filter so that the air that possibly gets pulled in will be clean but on the SRA they run out of the airbox with out getting any kind of filtering done for the air that may get pulled in. I would think that this design would case unnecessary amount of dust/mud/dirt get into the crankcase.

Anybody have any input on this? It seems like to me this isnt the greatest of designs by kawi and could cause motor problems down the road

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
hey bro we now have the 650 manual! You can look more into the hose routing.

Seems to me you would want that filtered. Might wanna run that to the pod with a filter on it.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i actually only have one now sold the 2005 with spun rod bearing for 1500 and i bought it for 900 just did a little cleaning up on it. and the 2003 is in excellent shape except the motor ran extremely hot :flames::flames::flames::flames:and literally melted/distorted all the seals on the motor, melted the dipstick, melted part of the pull start housing.:doh: This one is waiting on a motor to get here from Michigan and ill have a good as new prairie for 1800 including bike and new motor:first::rockn:

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
**** bro. that's pretty hot. I've seen dipsticks warped and melted looking.
That's when you know an engine has been thru ****!

·
Wilson Creek Riders
152 Posts
my buddy has a 04 prarie, that vent is puking up in his airbox. it did it all the sudden after idling.. it is a new motoer on it.... dont know why it doing it really but it is. to me the design is crappy. i told him to run it up also.... maybe his isnt running back out or something. i havent seen it though so i dont know for sure.

·
Woods Rider
27 Posts
I'm pretty sure the "stupid looking loop" you're seeing is the carb air vent line. I'm also fairly certain the crankcase vent is the larger hole toward the rear of the underside of the filter. That's the way I understand it anyway.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Yeah That's what I was thinking, bf650sra.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe it is and im wrong it wouldnt be the first time especially for on an SRA, i was told it was for crankcase but any way its still doesnt look like a good place for a vent hose to be.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
No it's not a good place for it. If you pull the bottom half of the box you can see that it appears to come from the carbs.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Yeah, me too

·
Woods Rider
27 Posts
I agree 650i. I wonder why they routed the thing through the air box. It makes no sense to me. I would like to know why.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I done some checking on my 650 SRA, and I have the same thing, upon further investigation I found out that is indeed the carb vent line, and I have already rerouted it up to inside the pod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts