Mud in My Blood Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
I have this mod...well worth it in my opinion.

Really cause I remember some people trying to say this was a waste and you didnt need it cause of the cvt tranny

From what I recall...none of those people had this mod, but I do remember the argument that you are referring to. But each man has his own opinion.
I understand completely why its hard to believe this does anything due to the fact that yes we have a cvt tranny, but maybe the easiest way to get it somewhat in perspective is to think about the teryx....it has basically the same cvt tranny as our brutes, motors are the same but the transmission gears and bevel gears are just a little lower than ours. Now take into consideration how much heavier it is than a brute, you can clutch it the same and throw the same tires on it and watch how it pulls... All you are doing is adding low end torque to the brute with these gears, and in my opinion: where people are saying it makes low seem like granny and high seem like low....i did not experience that at all. I can still hit over 20 mph in low even with having the red secondary still. I know that my brute has alot more low end grunt now than it did before...takes slightly more than 1/4 throttle from a dead stop and these 31s become airborn lol. Walkers brute would never pull the front end up with his 32s, and once he did this mod he could get it up in high. It makes a difference in the mud too, I can go through alot thicker stuff now without slipping the belt like before. I wish you lived closer bud i'd let you ride it so you could see for yourself rather than hearing it from me. This is a good mod though for you guys that are running big tires and don't mind loosing some top end, my brute tops out in high now at around 52...but I don't ride over 15 most of the time anyways.

I know bud I was being sarcastic if you remember the thread then you may remember my posts on why it would work but some of them might have been deleted

I remember bits and pieces...been awhile lol. I wasnt too sure about it myself though, only reason I have it now is bc I came across a deal too good to pass up on some brand new gears....and even after I bought them they still sat in my toolbox for a good 6 or 7 months before I got around to installing them, and also got myself one of the fancy little tools that you gotta have. I have no complaints about them at all, just wish I wouldn't have waited so long to get them in. If your a hardcore mud/water rider then you'll like em, if you like speed then they aren't for you. They are great for my 31s and riding style.....rack deep! :bigok:

The tool looks a lot like the Spanner socket used on my old 69 Bronco front end. You have to have one to remove the nut that holds the wheel bearings in the hub. Snap-On makes them but do they have the correct size for the Brute?? What size nut is it again?

Looked it up but the type I have is not like these. Mine does not have the center section. I'll chek it out sometiime and post if it will work with part number.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=1663&store=snapon-store

might be a stupid question but is it really nessesary to order 60/70 bucks worth of shims shouldnt u just be replacing the stock gears with other gears and use the same shims or am i wrong?
I answered on your thread you started.

-Killing Time Using Tapatalk-

Im still debating wether I want to do this or not.

If your a mud rider it's great, if a trail rider then probably not for you. With the reduction plus my double red clutch springs I am able to get up to 45 mph, still have plenty of throttle left but my muzzy is roaring so I dont push it past that. Wish I had a tach. Seriously considering the vfj stage III to see if it'll help lower the rpms a bit and get some top end back...not that I need it lol. When I hit 45 on it a few weeks ago that was the first time it's been over 20 in almost 2 years lol.

-Killing Time Using Tapatalk-

Is there a way to figure out what shims you would need without buying all of them?

Some have not needed any but i would get a few thin ones just to be on the safe side.

Question

Does anybody remember if the pinion turns counterclockwise to loosen or if it's reverse thread? I have been trying to turn it ccw but I don't want to wreck the threads. Also does anybody have the 57001-1482 tool that I could rent/borrow?

Thanks

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.