·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this mod absolutly needed any other options besides yzf 450 catch can

·
Registered
24 Posts
Run a piece of 5/8 heater hose up to the pod with a pcv valve. Only disadvantage is you will smell oil fumes when you are sitting still. Otherwise it works great. Go to Nyrocatv and there is a write up on how to do it.

·
Lets Get It
338 Posts
You dont have to run a catch can, just run the line to the pod like stated above

Mine didnt get oil in airbox until after I snorkeled it:thinking:

But if you dont want to smell oil, have it puck out under the pod and/or waste oil (which wont be alot) then put a catch can on. Not hard to do, you can even make your own!!!

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
If your looking for a different mod that involves a catch can try the Crankcase Vent mod in the how-to's.

I feel that the yzf catch can mod is not sufficient. A) The catch can has non filtered air going to the engine (not hard to fix), B) it does not fix the oil burping out of the vent. Yes its catching it and drains the oil back but as its doing that the engine is not breathing correctly. However that's not saying my crankcase vent mod dose not have flaws. It has its own draw backs to.
Metal Man Is currently in the process of a cross of all 3 crankcase vent mods. I think it'll be a good set up when its done.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Over on Highlifter devildog has done a catch can mod write up that he made with a air filter and seems to work well. I think that the total cost of materials he used was alot cheaper than using the yfz catch can. It will be interesting to see what Metal Man comes up with. I personally, am not into doing wheelies with my bike, but however do like to do the Wide Open throttle runs, so the catch can mod is next to do on my list.

·
Team BS
757 Posts
Over on Highlifter devildog has done a catch can mod write up that he made with a air filter and seems to work well. I think that the total cost of materials he used was alot cheaper than using the yfz catch can. It will be interesting to see what Metal Man comes up with. I personally, am not into doing wheelies with my bike, but however do like to do the Wide Open throttle runs, so the catch can mod is next to do on my list.
i can promise you its not alot cheaper than the yzf catch can. i priced it all out at lowes.

as far as filtering the air goin back into the airbox. the factory crank case vent does not do this, so why does the catch can need to? if you want, you can put a piece of foam in the end of the line where it goes into the airbox. or you could move the location of the vent to be on the outside of the filter, instead of the inside.

im not sayin there arent better options, im just sayin it does work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So running wide open throttle causes oil to burp into the airbox also? That may explain it for me. I don't ride wheelies, or many hills, but after every ride I find oil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
5ft of 5/8 heater hose, a splice connector, and a pcv valve or some type of crankcase breather. Pull the crankcase hose off the bottom of your air box. Join it to the heater hose with the splice connector. Run it towards your steering stem then down towards the front diff. Now run it back up to your pod. This will make a dip for the oil to settle in. Put a pcv valve on the end. I spent under 10 bucks at AutoZone. Remember to plug the hole in the bottom of the airbox. I eventually put splice connector at the bottom of the dip in the hose, so I could pull it apart and drain any oil that accumulates. Very easy mod. It took me more time to plug the hole in the airbox than to run the lines.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i can promise you its not alot cheaper than the yzf catch can. i priced it all out at lowes.

as far as filtering the air goin back into the airbox. the factory crank case vent does not do this, so why does the catch can need to? if you want, you can put a piece of foam in the end of the line where it goes into the airbox. or you could move the location of the vent to be on the outside of the filter, instead of the inside.

i also feel the homemade one does not do the job properly unless oriented in a vertical position and the crankcase is run to the side vent..
the design of the catch can (the yamaha one) allows air an oil to be pit into the can and fall to the drain below. there for it must be oreinted properly for this to work well. the one i see are not mounted properly. the only way a pvc one will work proper is mounted straight up and down.

Also the way the vent is run on stock bike i would think there would be a serious vacuum pulling on it from the air rushing into the intakes. In fact, im sure this is the reason oil is "puked" into the airbox on WOT runs. It's not puked but sucked!

·
Team BS
757 Posts
i also feel the homemade one does not do the job properly.
the design of the catch can (the yamaha one) allows air an oil to be pit into the can and fall to the drain below. there for it must be oreinted properly for this to work well. the one i see are not mounted properly. the only way a pvc one will work proper is mounted straight up and down.

Also the way the vent is run on stock bike i would think there would be a serious vacuum pulling on it from the air rushing into the intakes. In fact, im sure this is the reason oil is "puked" into the airbox on WOT runs. It's not puked but sucked!
with that being said, i think all should buy a YFZ can from me ;). lol.

i dont think i would go with the "looping" idea to trap the oil. the hole purpose is to keep or get the oil back in the bike so it doesnt run low and spin a rod bearing.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i will get one from you when i can spare a measly 15 bucks :(

·
Team BS
757 Posts
aight just let me know.

im still tryin to convince myself to buy a holeshot module. i just talked to dynatek and they said a CDI is anywhere from 3-12 months out. and im thinkin more of 12 lol.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts

I think if your going to do this at lest put the hose coming out of the YFZ can and put it back to where the stock hose went into the air box. that way you don't need to plug a hole on the box and then it will be filtered.

And yes its filtered

Also Phreebsd if you T the valve cover hoses together in my vent mod you then can then run the stock vent hose to the can I made and solve your thought proses. The sucking thing is possible to. But I did not have a worse problem after I did mine and under that theory it should of made mine worse.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
well we will see what metalman comes up with

·
Team BS
757 Posts
I think if your going to do this at lest put the hose coming out of the YFZ can and put it back to where the stock hose went into the air box. that way you don't need to plug a hole on the box and then it will be filtered.

And yes its filtered

Also Phreebsd if you T the valve cover hoses together in my vent mod you then can then run the stock vent hose to the can I made and solve your thought proses. The sucking thing is possible to. But I did not have a worse problem after I did mine and under that theory it should of made mine worse.
how is it filtered? an open hole coming up inside of the filter in the airbox does not make it filtered. my bike had a peice of foam stuck in the hole, but that was done (i think) by the guy that rebuilt the bike tryin to stop the oil after adding HC pistons.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
That hole is on the clean side of the air filter. The large oval is where the air filter seals.

·
Administrator
15,424 Posts
i dont think i would go with the "looping" idea to trap the oil. the hole purpose is to keep or get the oil back in the bike so it doesnt run low and spin a rod bearing.
:agreed: %100

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
this is another good example thread of people sharing ideas that are different all in hopes to fix a common problem. Kudos for the courtesy you all have shown one another. I see you all, including me, disagreeing and trying to see the others' viewpoints and ideas.
cool :D

I know you all are thiking, "WTF" and "Why is he typing this?" haha
You just dont see these types of threads often.
Go MudInMyBlood :)

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
this is another good example thread of people sharing ideas that are different all in hopes to fix a common problem. Kudos for the courtesy you all have shown one another. I see you all, including me, disagreeing and trying to see the others' viewpoints and ideas.
cool :D

I know you all are thiking, "WTF" and "Why is he typing this?" haha
You just dont see these types of threads often.
Go MudInMyBlood :)

I agree. Im in the process of researching this to do on mine.....due to WHEELIES accidentally occuring often or as much as possible:rockn:.
This is definately helping me to decide which is the best route for me and my style of riding. Thanks to all

1 - 20 of 80 Posts